Stolen Sled - Mistaken Identity

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in september I posted in the Skidoo Rev section looking for sellers because a friend wanted to buy a used Summit. A couple of weeks later he bought an '07 Summit X at a dealer in Edmonton for $7000.00. We asked if the engine would be an issue and were assured that sinced the machine had been owned by one of the dealership staff, all the factory updates had been done so no worries, and the machine was pretty well mint to look at. "Why would he get rid of it my buddy asked?" "The previous owner was giving it to his son but the son wanted a 2010." so the '07 was moved to the showroom. Well my friend got his newly purchased sled insured and registered and the RCMP came to his house last night and hauled it away. The RC's said the machine was stolen from Red Deer, AB. It looks like the salesman lied about the sled's history and besides that, how could a BIG dealer not know where the sled came from? My buddy is stunned and we will be heading to Edmonton on Friday to visit the dealer and see what they are willing to do to help him to get his hands on a great sled. The RCMP said that he was lucky he bought the machine from a dealer because he won't be out any cash. I don't want to name the dealer yet because as of this writing they don't know what has transpired and I don't want to spoil my friends chances of getting some kind of new deal. Has anyone ever heard of this happening at a dealership?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Stolen sled

never heard of anyone purchasing a stolen vehicle from a dealership before.

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do...."

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The only thing I can say is protect yourself by using this link

It is a link into the RCMP CPIC computer, for public use on running serial numbers. I have used it several times, buying, and showing people that the serial number is clear when selling

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is a link into the RCMP CPIC computer, for public use on running serial numbers. I have used it several times, buying, and showing people that the serial number is clear when selling

DAMMIT!!!!!! ive always paid my local regrestry 20$ a pop to check the vin on everything i buy... How long has this been free?

northernguy

Reaction score

A friend of mine had the same thing happen with a car the dealer did not do there home work and it was a few years back. they gave her all her money back and a smoken deal on a new ride.I would think he should be entitled to the same thing.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

DAMMIT!!!!!! ive always paid my local regrestry 20$ a pop to check the vin on everything i buy... How long has this been free?

This only checks for stolen vehicles. It's always been free to go to the cop shop and have them run the vin. It costs you $20 at motor vehicles to do a lien search, which is only good in Alberta. Motor vehicles won't tell you if it's stolen, at least they don;t here.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This only checks for stolen vehicles. It's always been free to go to the cop shop and have them run the vin. It costs you $20 at motor vehicles to do a lien search, which is only good in Alberta. Motor vehicles won't tell you if it's stolen, at least they don;t here.

The vin will only come back if it's been reported stolen with this link......no other history. It's not "lemon busters", it's CPIC

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score

i had a similar thing happen, cop entered wrong sereil number. Three alarm call. cops cars the whole nine yards

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dad taught me always to do a lien search, he got screwed over once before.

Haha same

Thanks for that, definitely bookmarked.

Back in september I posted in the Skidoo Rev section looking for sellers because a friend wanted to buy a used Summit. A couple of weeks later he bought an '07 Summit X at a dealer in Edmonton for $7000.00. We asked if the engine would be an issue and were assured that sinced the machine had been owned by one of the dealership staff, all the factory updates had been done so no worries, and the machine was pretty well mint to look at. "Why would he get rid of it my buddy asked?" "The previous owner was giving it to his son but the son wanted a 2010." so the '07 was moved to the showroom. Well my friend got his newly purchased sled insured and registered and the RCMP came to his house last night and hauled it away. The RC's said the machine was stolen from Red Deer, AB. It looks like the salesman lied about the sled's history and besides that, how could a BIG dealer not know where the sled came from? My buddy is stunned and we will be heading to Edmonton on Friday to visit the dealer and see what they are willing to do to help him to get his hands on a great sled. The RCMP said that he was lucky he bought the machine from a dealer because he won't be out any cash. I don't want to name the dealer yet because as of this writing they don't know what has transpired and I don't want to spoil my friends chances of getting some kind of new deal. Has anyone ever heard of this happening at a dealership?

Wow, never heard of that happening with a dealership, I guess you just never know. Keep us posted and I hope everything works out for him.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would think the dealer could be in big $hit for selling stolen goods. I'd let the dealer know I'm totally PI$$ED off when I report this to them and my guess would be they are gonna kiss your butt to make good on this. That right there is a rep destroyer for a dealership! Good Luck and I hope your Buddy enjoys his brand new XP:d:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would think the dealer could be in big $hit for selling stolen goods. I'd let the dealer know I'm totally PI$$ED off when I report this to them and my guess would be they are gonna kiss your butt to make good on this. That right there is a rep destroyer for a dealership! Good Luck and I hope your Buddy enjoys his brand new XP:d:beer:
I would be surprised if they didn't do something like that, imagine the embarassment of cops and a flat bed tow truck showing up at your house, loading up your sled in front of your neighbors and who else....as well as the reputation of the dealership as you mentioned, caught red handed lying about the history of the sled....just mention the word "lawyer" and I bet all sorts of kneeling will occur.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Regardless of the outcome I think you should name the dealer that so blatantly lies to their customers. You may save the next guy the same grief and they need to learn a lesson in honesty.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

for sure, i hate crap like this. i guess its just me being naive to believe some ppl aren't trying to screw you at every corner, definitely thought a dealer would be safe, i'm really curious as to which dealer it was...:rant:

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I knew for years dealers were crooks now I see the evidence!Can't trust anybody!

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would think that yer buddy gets his money back and then some....its gotta be worth something for the emabarsment of the cops pounding on your door like someone previously stated! There are people out there that woud sue over something like that....and what kind of a azzhole would make up a complete BS story about the sled in the first place? An honest salesperson is how dealers gain a reputation and likewise when you get the shaft....I would say the first one would be the better way to go about it. If the sled or whatever it is that your buying is in decent shape and the price is fair...you'd buy it anyway! With all the tools available to dealerships these days in respect to checking VINS etc. there is just no excuse for this to happen. That is one of the reasons a person goes to a dealer.... I'd be demanding that meatheads (salesperson) balls in a jar to put on the shelf so everyone can see them as they walk into the dealership! Keep us posted on this one for sure!

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It would be nice to see a full page, full color story on the STEALERSHIP and their sales team in the Edmonton Journal

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

Was this Martin? The only reason I ask is a buddy of mine bought aN 07 rev from them and he got the EXACT same story...I was there. Turned out good though for him. Crappy deal.

muffin

Reaction score

bought a sled back in the 1980s , barely a year old, was mint , ran great, dumass that i am left the unit at the dealer for the summer , picked it up in november , discoverd when i got home , the engine was toast and wasnot the original engine any more, GOT TO CHECK ALL THE NUMBERS ! all the time .

Top Bottom