start of the new build

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet your pointing towards the oil injection delete on a etec. Tuning shouldn't be the problem as you have ran this for some time before swap. Engine will shut itself down before any damage due to over heating.

yes had a few wreaks to start the year with it... c3 had not put in orfice to restrick flow threw heat exchanders causing engine overheating condition, second day was no better seizing bottom end ... not sure if its from the overheating, tuning, or lack of lube, bottom end had a few thousand miles on it, hope to had a answer for tommorow and have it running for thursday

for the positives...the 10 miles i drove it up the trail i bounced off into the medows a few times and cracked i....t felt very strong and got ontop quick

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the etec was the same as the pros and had a "DRY" crankcase....where there is actually NO fuel in the crankcase? How do you plan in lubricating your crankcase?

Imagine that hey? Your bottom end seized? Really? I wonder why that happened?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine that hey? Your bottom end seized? Really? I wonder why that happened?

Kind of rude to take delight in someones misfortune isnt it?

I thought his dealer had come up with a way to lube the bottom end, and then he planned on premixing as well.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mag side crank bearing gone, both other side and pistons look fine, raves also had good oil on them, you would think if oiling is the issue it would be seen on all parts, but will increase bottom end fueling

lots of guys remove oil injection on wet sumps, what we have done is removed it on a dry sump but then make it a wet sump with secondary fueling... not Rocket science ...

what takes the brainstorming is how to make the ecm understand that oiling is still hapening, there is a cold oil limp mode, no oil limp mode and two oil pump limp modes to figure out

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of rude to take delight in someones misfortune isnt it?

I thought his dealer had come up with a way to lube the bottom end, and then he planned on premixing as well.

I didn't mean for my post to come across as me being pleased or happy. I was just trying to state that I had mentioned that it wouldn't work before and wasn't surprised hearing the crank seized. We have already been through this in the polaris world when the CFI 2 came out back in 11' it's unfortunate that it went down, We lost a crank when we tried it too and ended up putting the oils injection back on. This was on a twisted kit.

Last edited:

Backcountrypro

Reaction score
What is the reason for deleting the oil injection? Weight savings? Come on you have a turbo on that thing, who cares if it weights 5, 10, 15 lbs more.....you have the power to carry it!

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the reason for deleting the oil injection? Weight savings? Come on you have a turbo on that thing, who cares if it weights 5, 10, 15 lbs more.....you have the power to carry it!

Yes but if you want the most bad azz sled on the hill its both power and weight. Every little bit he shaves off it is giving him a small edge on the next guy...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its going to be some kind of Rocket science LOL as the ECM doesnt seize the bottom end if you are injecting oil secondary right as the stock ecm will have nothing to do with that.
The programming of the ecm is just to get the engine to not go into limp mob. NO???
If the sled tightened up so quickly would it be fair to say that it is happening on the first 1/4 of the throttle?? Not enough mixed fuel being delivered through the primary injectors due to these things running so lean.

Just thoughts.
E-Zmoke don't worry it will take more than your comment to knock Fred off his perch. LOL

mag side crank bearing gone, both other side and pistons look fine, raves also had good oil on them, you would think if oiling is the issue it would be seen on all parts, but will increase bottom end fueling

lots of guys remove oil injection on wet sumps, what we have done is removed it on a dry sump but then make it a wet sump with secondary fueling... not Rocket science ...

what takes the brainstorming is how to make the ecm understand that oiling is still hapening, there is a cold oil limp mode, no oil limp mode and two oil pump limp modes to figure out

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bummed that she is having some teething issues but this is going to be the sickest sled on the snow by far. Way to push the envelope developing your oiling system, first time I've seen something like that

backchannel

Reaction score
? A full carbon turbo Etec with all the best parts you can buy? Sorry I don't quite understand your thinking?

Well sickest should also mean fastest. This one won't be that and I expect Fred realizes it. He missed his target weight by >50 lbs, has a tank that holds 81.5 lbs of fuel, 800 or BB later etec with 66 turbo [how much can that make], has a rear suspension that will either ride like a board or be a wheelie pig , 9 tooth drivers will cause some air compression in the tunnel taking off track speed plus seriously load the C3 belt. All things that don't justify that description. With that, I expect he will enjoy it when all issues are resolved.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see how having the fastest sled makes it the sickest, this isn't a trend building a sled for the fields with straight line speed, he wants to be able to point it up a hill with endless powder and be able to control where its going. A full carbon turbo sled thats pushing the envelop with engine mods, running a pretty much unheard of oiling system for the bottom end, as many lightweight fasteners as possible and even cutting out the y-pipe to save oz's seems pretty sick to me.

If the goal was the fastest sled out there I'm sure fred could build something like CR's rated R sled for around the same money that is or will be in this thing by then end but again, that's not the goal of this build.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bet its less than that,,there was a full carbon xp with a 400 hp 1200 doo motor at owls head a few days ago and he said it was 490 ,i believe that was with no fuel.

backchannel

Reaction score
I don't see how having the fastest sled makes it the sickest, this isn't a trend building a sled for the fields with straight line speed, he wants to be able to point it up a hill with endless powder and be able to control where its going. A full carbon turbo sled thats pushing the envelop with engine mods, running a pretty much unheard of oiling system for the bottom end, as many lightweight fasteners as possible and even cutting out the y-pipe to save oz's seems pretty sick to me.

If the goal was the fastest sled out there I'm sure fred could build something like CR's rated R sled for around the same money that is or will be in this thing by then end but again, that's not the goal of this build.

lol - you his son?
Tuned by Fred too- you didn't notice his broken piston caused by detonation?

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know the guy, never even had a conversation with him. Hell if you were both standing next to each other I would still probably call you guys by the wrong name. Im just saying that in my opinion its a pretty sick sled and in my opinion it would take some serious thinking outside the box to come up with something more unique than this sled, therefore making it sick.

And didn't I read somewhere in here that he was going to give his son his old turbo or something like that? If so I'm willing to be adopted because having to pay for my own stuff is getting old, especially on a students budget

backchannel

Reaction score
Don't know the guy, never even had a conversation with him. Hell if you were both standing next to each other I would still probably call you guys by the wrong name. Im just saying that in my opinion its a pretty sick sled and in my opinion it would take some serious thinking outside the box to come up with something more unique than this sled, therefore making it sick.

And didn't I read somewhere in here that he was going to give his son his old turbo or something like that? If so I'm willing to be adopted because having to pay for my own stuff is getting old, especially on a students budget

Well I have nothing against Fred -he is an enthusiast. I own 6 sleds of which 3 are turbos and have done almost everything Fred has but sooner. Didn't feel all the gushing over his build was warrranted and finally had to add my opinion.

Top Bottom