start of the new build

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well harvest is over and now back to the grind...lol

been throwing some ideas around but nothing ritten in stone yet on what to do for this year, tentative plans are to build a carbon fiber xm chassie for the turbo, and try in get weight under :nono: full of fluids, that or just run what i have another year...lol... it ran not to bad as well

i hear baker is going with a boonchocker turbo on his:d and the reddeere native is staying hush hush.... more nasa parts

all in all looking to be a fun year again

what are others doing for their new build

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo - Tss2.jpg
Still hoping the 3" 156 is going to show up and this thing doesn't flip over backwards!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is that the boondocker kit...

well ordered the c3 chassie today and i should have it for the last week of october.... now what powerplant to go with

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man am i ever jealous right now! i want a caronfiber chassis XM with a hair dryer! hahaha better get my old lady workin overtime and trick her into believing me that i need one hahaha

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya its not cheap, i will be paying the bills for a few months for keven...lol

going with the rolled case and drivebelt system right off the start, might try something new on the engine rather than turbo...

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought you didnt like your rolled case mod on your 2008[/QUO

Ya I have not been impressed very much so far with the 880 rolled case, but as for this build the only cost above is the extended case, since I was doing the belt drive any way its costing me basically another 650 dollars, and have the stock case to get rid of, I will be having a few stock parts to get rid of

As for the power plant, I have a few options to go with for this build... Keeping light weight at the top of the agenda...

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought you didnt like your rolled case mod on your 2008[/QUO

Ya I have not been impressed very much so far with the 880 rolled case, but as for this build the only cost above is the extended case, since I was doing the belt drive any way its costing me basically another 650 dollars, and have the stock case to get rid of, I will be having a few stock parts to get rid of

As for the power plant, I have a few options to go with for this build... Keeping light weight at the top of the agenda...

Have you decided on a power plant yet? What are you throwing around for ideas with it? Is it going to be a 174 sled?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I would like to try the 174 on this chassie, I am hopping to have it light enough that I can handle the bigger track..

As for power plants... Looking at the 872. From Dave or the 880 from Brent linderman or bike man... That or swap turbo over to it... Still in the air with that

Dont really need three sleds in the trailer, but don't want to break them up either... And kids are getting older

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I would like to try the 174 on this chassie, I am hopping to have it light enough that I can handle the bigger track..

As for power plants... Looking at the 872. From Dave or the 880 from Brent linderman or bike man... That or swap turbo over to it... Still in the air with that

Dont really need three sleds in the trailer, but don't want to break them up either... And kids are getting older

With the bb you choose keep updates rollin. Will do one when engine warranty is done. What are you leaning towards?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Very nice, hear lots and lots of good stories about all of their work. Probably cant go wrong with any of them.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes talked with ralph this last week as well, he has had great luck on the 800r etec with just porting,, said a 12hp gain and we seen that last year on bakers sled, it ran that well and no electronic issues... he is not intrested in any 860/880 builds this year because how well he had the others running, but would do a 880 build if i wanted it... lots of work on the head to get it to seal well and reweld and cut oring fit thou

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well got the call from keven the other day, he was starting on the cf chassie and wanted the particulars, for skid and chaincase... hope to have chassie done for mid month, will be going with 174 and long cooler, now to figure out powdercoating

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool Build Fred. be curious to see how light you can make this thing. There's a pile of weight removed in just getting rid of the double wall fuel tank that is a EPA necessity. What are you doing for a front end a rear skid? My experience in owning quite a few different XP from ends is that there isn't alot of weight to shed over stock. I was actually surprised to see that some of the aftermarket front ends were heavier than the stock components.

Hoping to start another build here shortly. Looking for a donor sled for another 1200 motor and front end. Have the low boost 1200 running well, but want more this time. Want to do a MCX 250 kit, 154" track, and use the new rear skid that Tom and myself worked on last year. Have a few ideas in the back pocket yet too that I might try on this build. Have the 1200 under 500 lbs, think I can go a bit lighter in some places still.

Good Luck

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to check my notes at home (I've scaled probably 75% of the parts on a XP at some point) but I seem to remember 15 lbs whereas a Rev tank is about half that weight at 7-8 lbs. I did misquote the fuel tank..it isn't double wall...just a veyr thick wall...got too caught up in writing I guess!!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we will be using titanuim A arms instead of the stock xp a arms, i have them on the 880 and purchased another set for this build, they save approx 7 lbs on the front end, and can take some abuse... as for the rear skid i am going with a full titanium skid with raptor shocks, also from alternate impack... weight is less than 36lbs as compared to 50 plus for a stock skid, it will come with iceage rails and 11 inch big wheel kit on a 174 track

i had a chance to ride one late last fall and its weight transfer was second to none, and ride quailty was very good... i think it might work real sweet in this application, i find the baker skid to work well, but suffer in the ride quailty and is 14lbs more

with the c3 beltdrive and race tra, i am also hopping for a 400lb dry weight turbo sled... that is my goal

here are a few pictures of the skids

Attachments

• IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 916
  • IMAG0422.jpg
    IMAG0422.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 919
  • post-32594-0-03216200-1327466278.jpg
    post-32594-0-03216200-1327466278.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 911
  • post-32594-0-53809900-1327467733.jpg