Daughter will need a new sled for next year !!!

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my 14 year old is really catching on to how to body position and ride a sled. This 144 Yamaha phazer GT I built her was a perfect trail sled for a kid. Easy to ride, not a power house to get her in trouble and a radiator with a fan so you don’t have to worry if it’s over heating.

BC7DED6D-8893-4705-ADD1-3D33C4CBBDDD.jpeg

She been bugging me for a big sled. Lol. I said well you have a big sled. She figures it sounds like a quad. Lol. “ dad I want people to hear me coming”. Lmao. Let’s put a turbo on it like yours. Lol. Hmmmmmm lol.

3CD55EBD-3B1E-400B-B509-6E8A290E66C7.jpg
Anyway...my son has a 600 pro rmk with a 36” zbroz that I was planning on giving to her. She rode it last time we went out and did alright but.... I’ve tried everything to get that sled to handle like a Doo xm or cat/Yamaha. It’s just not a easy sled to get on side for a lightweight rider.

So I’m thinking a Doo summit xm etec 600 or a cat m6000 ctec. The summit 600 is a rare find.....if I go cat m6000 ctec is there any motor issues?

Ideally if I go the cat way of course it will have to look like a Yamaha. Lol. Is that wrong??? Also it’s going to be a “super build”. I’m going to make it as like weight and maneuverable as I can.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M6000 Alpha seems like it would be a perfect ladies sled. My buddy has the mountain max for his wife, but I think he bought that to use as a backup/second sled for himself.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M6000 Alpha seems like it would be a perfect ladies sled. My buddy has the mountain max for his wife, but I think he bought that to use as a backup/second sled for himself.

i agree m6000 alpha would probably be the best handling for a lightweight.

This is actually a great idea. Find a older m6000 ctec and make it into a mountain max alpha. I’m all about building something from nothing. Buying one done doesn’t give me any satisfaction.

that’s it this is what I’ll do.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most exciting thing about this build is ....she wants to help. That’s worth doing it right there !!!

Thats awesome. My daughters are 4 and 2 and cant wait to get them into it. Both already love being in the shop when Im tinkering on something so off to a good start. I think ill have to find a small sled for next season.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome. My daughters are 4 and 2 and cant wait to get them into it. Both already love being in the shop when Im tinkering on something so off to a good start. I think ill have to find a small sled for next season.

Awesome!!!! I had the kids on ride alongs in the spring when they were 2-3. Then Matthew was 5 and Maddie was 2 and doubled on a mini z. Lol.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to detract from the opportunity to build a new sled, but I've found those Zbros front ends on the pro's to be finnicky on pre-load adjustment. 1/4" too much seems to make the difference between easily being able to pull the sled over, and making it difficult to pull over and then unpredictable when on it's side.

I'm 220 and with the extra weight of my turbo upfront I've found the stock 10-1/4" preload to be about the best. For a lightweight rider on a stock machine I'd be starting at 10-5/8" preload on the front, and pull a bunch of preload out of the rear track shock while your at it. Really though these sleds are setup with too stiff of springs for riders under 150lbs, I could never get my wife and her 600 to ride the same as my 800 with me on it, but she quit riding before I had a chance to swap for softer springs.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to detract from the opportunity to build a new sled, but I've found those Zbros front ends on the pro's to be finnicky on pre-load adjustment. 1/4" too much seems to make the difference between easily being able to pull the sled over, and making it difficult to pull over and then unpredictable when on it's side.

I'm 220 and with the extra weight of my turbo upfront I've found the stock 10-1/4" preload to be about the best. For a lightweight rider on a stock machine I'd be starting at 10-5/8" preload on the front, and pull a bunch of preload out of the rear track shock while your at it. Really though these sleds are setup with too stiff of springs for riders under 150lbs, I could never get my wife and her 600 to ride the same as my 800 with me on it, but she quit riding before I had a chance to swap for softer springs.

thanks for the post...yeah I’ve beat down this sled. I’ve got the stock shocks shortened and rebuilt to match lighter rider weight. Also have zbroz dual rate springs. I definitely made a big difference but doesn’t compare to a newer cat or Doo. My viper is easier to get on edge.

I also tried a promotion in the rear.

Attachments

• 1152786A-DB7F-4114-8853-B4F9EE60EBA2.jpeg
    1152786A-DB7F-4114-8853-B4F9EE60EBA2.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my 14 year old is really catching on to how to body position and ride a sled. This 144 Yamaha phazer GT I built her was a perfect trail sled for a kid. Easy to ride, not a power house to get her in trouble and a radiator with a fan so you don’t have to worry if it’s over heating.

View attachment 232401

She been bugging me for a big sled. Lol. I said well you have a big sled. She figures it sounds like a quad. Lol. “ dad I want people to hear me coming”. Lmao. Let’s put a turbo on it like yours. Lol. Hmmmmmm lol.

View attachment 232402
Anyway...my son has a 600 pro rmk with a 36” zbroz that I was planning on giving to her. She rode it last time we went out and did alright but.... I’ve tried everything to get that sled to handle like a Doo xm or cat/Yamaha. It’s just not a easy sled to get on side for a lightweight rider.

So I’m thinking a Doo summit xm etec 600 or a cat m6000 ctec. The summit 600 is a rare find.....if I go cat m6000 ctec is there any motor issues?

Ideally if I go the cat way of course it will have to look like a Yamaha. Lol. Is that wrong??? Also it’s going to be a “super build”. I’m going to make it as like weight and maneuverable as I can.

That little sled looks sweet!

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks....yeah it’s themed around her helmet and suit. Lol. She anti pink.
D11FB8F2-EA09-4CF2-85FE-61AC342EBF43.jpg

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something sounds strange about that Pro. With a 36” front end and modified shocks that sled should be super tippy. Both of my boys were smaller framed until they were 16 and didn’t like the narrow front end until they were better riders. What’s the bar setup?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it’s the mid size axys pro taper bar parallel to
the post. It’s easy to flip over, but compared to a new cat or xm there’s no comparison. They are definitely easier.

524BBD24-CAA2-418F-A048-E5062AF7B13A.jpg

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post...yeah I’ve beat down this sled. I’ve got the stock shocks shortened and rebuilt to match lighter rider weight. Also have zbroz dual rate springs. I definitely made a big difference but doesn’t compare to a newer cat or Doo. My viper is easier to get on edge.

I also tried a promotion in the rear.[/QUOT

The shock set up for young light weight riders is huge, I would talk to a suspension guy like Tim from Enzo or Rod Matachuck AT RMR Suspension. Think of it like she riding a dirt bike anything out of the box is not going to work for a young girl . You will have to change the Springs for weight and get the the shocks re valve .
Make a big difference and that's where I would spend my money to start !!!!

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I also tried a promotion in the rear.[/QUOT

The shock set up for young light weight riders is huge, I would talk to a suspension guy like Tim from Enzo or Rod Matachuck AT RMR Suspension. Think of it like she riding a dirt bike anything out of the box is not going to work for a young girl . You will have to change the Springs for weight and get the the shocks re valve .
Make a big difference and that's where I would spend my money to start !!!!

Thanks for the reply... my son rides this sled ....it’s not like I’m selling it cause I can’t get it working. The shocks have been shortened and re-valved for a lighter rider. Springs are from zbroz dual rate based on lighter rider weight. The sled fine for my son.....Imo I just feel a summit xm or cat would be a easier sled for her to manoeuvre....I’ve owned and rode them all and that’s how they felt to me.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Doo’s definitely tip easier, A couple years ago we rode with a guy who switched from a Pro to a T3 163 Summit. Now I never seen him ride the Pro and He CLAIMED he was a good rider..... but He could not ride that doo. Lol He was tipped over every 3 minutes and this was still on the way in.... it was pretty funny and he was so embarrassed, thats all he kept saying Im sorry, I swear I’ve ridden a sled before. Ahhhh. Good times.

Top Bottom