SPOT satallite tracker

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I have read a lot of reports on people's messages not getting through, but have no explaination other than possibly user error, and I'm not saying that was the cause in your case.

Yes, teeroy, you have read that and IMHO because yours' has worked everytime, you think they all should or do. I have addressed this issue many times and have stated that they work in the "flatland" as advertized. I have not had issues because of user error!

For clarity, we have "flatland" in the mountains; those nice open valleys and alpine meadows where satellite reception is great. But we also have "hidden areas" where you can't send nor receive a signal for long periods of time (or not at all) and that invariably happens in the east-west valleys where the rock out croppings are very steep and high, particularily on the southern side.

It is okay for me as I live here and have found out the troublesome areas and have adopted a plan to cover those particular areas if I'm in trouble. I'm sure that MntMaster also has a plan now!

I just want to get the message out, that they(SPOT) are not the be all and end all. People need to know what's going on. One needs to practise (send a message, write down the time and place, and then check with the computer when you get home). If you are really into safety, do that from everywhere you ride! I use mine every ride, at work, and wouldn't be without it and I know where it doesn't work well in my area.

As an after thought: How far to the north do the satellites orbit? When I charge up my GPS there are lots of satellites but those that are in an orbital pattern that is further south don't help in our situation. Maybe when the Spot signal is slow it picks up a northern most orbital pattern and those are fewer. A thought to ponder?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an after thought: How far to the north do the satellites orbit? When I charge up my GPS there are lots of satellites but those that are in an orbital pattern that is further south don't help in our situation. Maybe when the Spot signal is slow it picks up a northern most orbital pattern and those are fewer. A thought to ponder?

We have them for work and have tested them as far north as Nunavut/Arctic Ocean. We had a geotech coring job in the middle of a frozen lake last year in northern Russia and they worked flawlessly. I have used them in northern AB no problems.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We have them for work and have tested them as far north as Nunavut/Arctic Ocean. We had a geotech coring job in the middle of a frozen lake last year in northern Russia and they worked flawlessly. I have used them in northern AB no problems.

I understand. I have received satellite signals in Sachs Harbour (on Melville Island a couple of hours north of InuviK) for the television, GPS, etc. in 2000.

The orbital pattern of the northern most satellite was just above the southern horizon. The question I asked was, "How far north is the northern most satellite? (ie 32 nd parallel, 49th parallel, or the 60th parallel). It wasn't regarding the reception from the satellite.

If a satellite was far enough north or if enough of them were far enough north the problem might be solved.

Attachments

• Spot receptioni.jpg
    Spot receptioni.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was just on a web-site: http.//gps.faa.gov/

There is a good read and further understanding of the orbital patterns. I am assuming that SPOT uses these satellites. I copied the following:

The basic GPS service provides users with approximately 100-meter accuracy, 95% of the time, anywhere on or near the surface of the earth.

The other 5% percent of the time? IMO not just the lack of accuracy but in some cases not at all or maybe within a 12 hr time frame for the satellite that is orbiting in a north/south pattern.

I haven't sat in the "dead spots" for 12 hours testing this thing but maybe that is what it takes; a few smokies, a few Kokanee.....

hosmersled

Reaction score
The Spot 1 units are now listed at CDN$119.00 and also come with a $50.00 prepaid visa card rebate.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the new Spot at Wholesale Sports in South Common $119.95 it comes with a mail in rebate you get a $50.00 Visa gift card.
Man talk about a kid in a candy store Wholesale Sports like a Bass Pro.:beer::beer::beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, teeroy, you have read that and IMHO because yours' has worked everytime, you think they all should or do. I have addressed this issue many times and have stated that they work in the "flatland" as advertized. I have not had issues because of user error!
I say "user error" because some may not sit for long enough, especially if they are "cold starting" thier SPOT when they pull it out of their pack and turn it on to send a message. even your body may prevent a signal going out if you are in the right (wrong) position. I am only recounting my experience, and how I have tried to get my unit to not send messages like others have reported because I wanted to know the limitations of the device. maybe my locations were the right position at the right time?? I don't know what else to say other than it has worked flawlessly sending "OK" messages in varying locations, I have had it for almost 2 years and tested it in every location I thought the signal may be blocked. The only time mine has failed to send messages is in "track" mode.

I realize one does not choose the location of his emergency situation, so knowledge of where it works and doesn't, as well as the reason why it doesn't in said locations is critical in my opinion.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys over at Adventure rider have covered the SPOT topic pretty well, here is a link............
The Great Big SPOT Thread - ADVrider
that is the be all, end all of SPOT threads IMO....the guy that calls himself "SPOTMAKER" works for the company that designed, built, and tested the device. I have posted that link a few times over the last year....excellent info in there if you take the time to read through it....:beer:

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I can absolutely assure you that "user error" is not a possibility. I've owned it for almost 2 years now.
I sat on a ridge at just under 9,000ft and tried for a half an hour to send a msg. I would turn it on, leave it for a minute or so, then press ok. The OK button and the ON button flash at the same time. After about 5-7 mins they start to alternate blinking. <Error> So, I shut it off leave it for a few mins, and turn it back on. Leave it ON for a couple mins and press OK again. After 5-7 mins they start to blink alternatively again. I tried one more time.... nothing.

This was just before a buddy and I dropped into a cave for 2 days underground. We spent our days underground, and came out near the valley floor. I walked out into the creek in the valley bottom and tried again, and it worked. Both of our wives were freaking out, because we promised a msg before we dropped in......

SO, what I'm getting at is, don't trust your whole life on this little electronic device. Have a back up plan, because I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't work EVERY time. I've sent hundreds of messages (no 911's thank god) But, I'd say it works 95% of the time. Which is still pretty good, but 100% of the time is unrealistic, due to dealing with satellites and point of view in extremely rugged terrain.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked mine up the other day and since have sent 5 transmissions with out a problem. The lights do start to alternate after a few minutes but I just leave it on and the message sends normally after 5-10mins. I have yet to try sending a message from the mountains in the northern part of the globe. Once I am out sledding in Mcbride or were ever I will give it a try. It could be an issue on were the satellites are orbiting that could effect a transmission from farther north.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried some real world testing to compare spot 1 vs spot 2. Open areas which sends faster, then which is first to loose signal? Anyone with a spot 2 I would gladly test it against a spot 1 to see what the actual differences are.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried some real world testing to compare spot 1 vs spot 2. Open areas which sends faster, then which is first to loose signal? Anyone with a spot 2 I would gladly test it against a spot 1 to see what the actual differences are.

That would be interesting to see what the difference is.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Im waiting for the new one to come out. Its suipposed to have better reception and is smaller also. For an extra few bucks I would rather have the latest and greatest. Probably why they are selling the old ones so cheap.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder, spot recommends you send a "test" message any time you relocate the spot unit to get a "GPS corrdinate acquision" on your new location. Plus you also have to bear in mind the possible location of the satellite, at the time of the message being sent, meaning the satellite cannot see through hills and mountains, satellites are not always overhead and could be on the horizon. this is called line of sight.
I've had instances myself where it took 15 to 20 min for a "test" message to be sent from my new location, but after that it took a matter of mins for the next one to go through.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A salesman from Spot was at the Calgary show along with a rep from GPS central. I have a great talk with the salesman. No bull sh+t, no sales talk, just go old information and technical detail.

The SPOT 2 is in the hands of some vendors (not all yet). It is smaller that the original but the batteries are not as strong. Saying that, there is a better antenna resulting in better reception to and from the satellite. I also think there is a new light added that indicates the message has been received (I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that it is correct). Bottons are covered with a rubber flap to prevent accidental sending. A new button, that can be set up with a another personal message has been added (my message might be: I'm Okay but we will be home late). I think a great bunch of improvements that will make this little goodie even better!!

The best news was that those who have a present subscription will be able to upgrade to the SPOT 2 at a special price (they are still working out the nitty-gritties of this process).

This booth, the avalanche vendors, Specialty Sleds, and the ASA were the best part of the show.

Blacknytro

Reaction score
I just picked up my new spot 2 yesterday at around 2 pm. I bought it from Vector communications in Grande Prairie, AB. I got home and went to there web site and 20 min later was ready to go! It was easy. Just follow along and there web site is very user friendly.

So I go out side and turned it on (Green power button blinks), Waited 30 seconds like they say and pushed and held the (OK) till it blinked and then I let go and just watch what it does. The Power button and the OK button will blink together for about 30 seconds. Then the power,OK and the GPS light all blink together for about 1 minute. Then the power,OK,mail sending light up together and they blinked for 6 seconds till I heard my Phone beep, telling me I had a text Message!!!! 6 seconds to send that is crazy fast.

The whole message was done from start to finish within 2 minutes. Also it was snowing heavy here when I did the test. Also the HELP and S.O.S/911 button are cover with a plastic cover that you lift up then you push the button, So it can't be pushed by accident. There is now a seperate button for tracking your position as well. As well there is another button for any other message you want to send home, works the same as the OK button. Hope this clears up any questions. Trav:d:d

Top Bottom