Quietest release ever for Doo

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't become a mandatory safety recall yet.

Emissions. While most consumers could care less, this is a reality for manufactures and the sport as a whole. Perhaps the detonation/plug issue is a result of having to meet emission standards? I am not sure if it directly corelates to sled engines, but there there is lots of documentation on e-tec outboards having the lowest emissions including 4 strokes.
Many would agree that the drivability and performance benefits are worthwhile benefits on their own. Doo's e-tec has proven to be reliable too.
You do know that sound and exhaust emissions are measured at 45 miles per hour, steady cruising speed? Both the etec and the Patriot pass at that speed. Crack the throttle and it is a different story, The turbo sleds are not good for the environment no matter how much slant you want to put on it. Use lots of fuel = lots of CO2 emissions. I agree that emissions could be part of the lean condition but Polaris usually comes to the market really fat and then leans them out over the lifecycle of the motor (I expect less warranty claims running fat). Unless the standards have just got stricter it makes no sense that they are running so lean. Probably didn't do enough low elevation testing. Again, first season blues.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do know that sound and exhaust emissions are measured at 45 miles per hour, steady cruising speed? Both the etec and the Patriot pass at that speed. Crack the throttle and it is a different story, The turbo sleds are not good for the environment no matter how much slant you want to put on it. Use lots of fuel = lots of CO2 emissions. I agree that emissions could be part of the lean condition but Polaris usually comes to the market really fat and then leans them out over the lifecycle of the motor (I expect less warranty claims running fat). Unless the standards have just got stricter it makes no sense that they are running so lean. Probably didn't do enough low elevation testing. Again, first season blues.
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but all the new marine engines are coming DI to meet emissions I beleive. I could be wrong, but I'm told non DI boats are pretty touch to sell into the US

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but all the new marine engines are coming DI to meet emissions I beleive. I could be wrong, but I'm told non DI boats are pretty touch to sell into the US
I heard California banned 2 strokes and Evinrude (BRP)had to go to court to be heard as they showed they can make a 2 stroke emit less than a 4 stroke. So yes the etec at low speeds is very good but I am talking to the crowd that says NA sleds are garbage now that OEM turbo sleds hit the market. Boost does not run on the voice coils but gets its power form slobbering old school injectors. Not only that, nobody talks about emission from burning the 2 stroke oil, Doo sucks that stuff back harder than a drunk on a spiked punch bowl.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard California banned 2 strokes and Evinrude (BRP)had to go to court to be heard as they showed they can make a 2 stroke emit less than a 4 stroke. So yes the etec at low speeds is very good but I am talking to the crowd that says NA sleds are garbage now that OEM turbo sleds hit the market. Boost does not run on the voice coils but gets its power form slobbering old school injectors. Not only that, nobody talks about emission from burning the 2 stroke oil, Doo sucks that stuff back harder than a drunk on a spiked punch bowl.
Sounds like the 9R loves its fuel and oil as well as seen in the Muskoka vids Chris just for reference. The most recent video of the valley bottom adventure Matt commented his low fuel and low oil were both on displayed on his screen. If you are running a Doo or a Poo at full throttle it doesn’t matter. They burn petrochemicals equally as bad.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 9R loves its fuel and oil as well as seen in the Muskoka vids Chris just for reference. The most recent video of the valley bottom adventure Matt commented his low fuel and low oil were both on displayed on his screen. If you are running a Doo or a Poo at full throttle it doesn’t matter. They burn petrochemicals equally as bad.
I think he forgot to top up his oil that day from the previous day's ride.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your into pinching pennies on fuel and oil this is not your sport lol. Those old cats i bet drank more fuel them my current turbo does lol but hey those motors were bulletproof.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I burn 5-10 more litres a day in fuel with my turbo alpha vs my buddies g5 turbo. He burns almost double the oil…… go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not how it works. A turbo will make any engine run cleaner . Emissions tested are emissions tested regardless of how much gas or oil it burns the emissions standards were met . brp Doesn’t sell evirude outboards any more either . I stil ride a na sled but the potential to meet a higher emission standard will favour a turbocharged sled .

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your into pinching pennies on fuel and oil this is not your sport lol. Those old cats i bet drank more fuel them my current turbo does lol but hey those motors were bulletproof.

You are for sure correct!

My 22 Boost is a thirsty girl at WOT.
Reasonable at all other throttle positions.
Easy on oil.
Thanks to Ben at Atltitude for turning my Boost into a rocket - I dont care how much fuel it burns!
I have no fear lining up beside a G5 and going vertical.
Even with my fat azz on the slef
If you are playing with turbos and worried about the bank account, stop playing with turbos.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are for sure correct!

My 22 Boost is a thirsty girl at WOT.
Reasonable at all other throttle positions.
Easy on oil.
Thanks to Ben at Atltitude for turning my Boost into a rocket - I dont care how much fuel it burns!
I have no fear lining up beside a G5 and going vertical.
If you are playing with turbos and worried about the bank account, stop playing with turbos.

So you’re saying I should play fair and turn mine up to 197hp so we are equal in modifications?

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn’t expect huge updates from brp for this release on their mountain sleds. we’re not even thru the first season on the just released G5.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not how it works. A turbo will make any engine run cleaner . Emissions tested are emissions tested regardless of how much gas or oil it burns the emissions standards were met . brp Doesn’t sell evirude outboards any more either . I stil ride a na sled but the potential to meet a higher emission standard will favour a turbocharged sled .

Unfortunately that's not the case with most gasoline powered engines, especially 2 strokes. The early EcoBoost pickups used to smoke black on hard acceleration. You have to run a gasoline engine rich under boost to prevent melting the piston and prevent detonation. This is especially true with 2-strokes. Any time the engine is on boost you have unburnt fuel, soot and carbon monoxide exiting the exhaust in significant quantities. Cars and trucks get to run catalytic converters to clean that up, can't really do that with a sled.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's not the case with most gasoline powered engines, especially 2 strokes. The early EcoBoost pickups used to smoke black on hard acceleration. You have to run a gasoline engine rich under boost to prevent melting the piston and prevent detonation. This is especially true with 2-strokes. Any time the engine is on boost you have unburnt fuel, soot and carbon monoxide exiting the exhaust in significant quantities. Cars and trucks get to run catalytic converters to clean that up, can't really do that with a sled.
Hmm interesting conversation. Yup on the eco boost but if you you were to make the same power out of the same engine without the turbo the emissions would be off the chart , ,probably not possible to get that hp out of that engine but apples to apples . Inducted air will make it burn cleaner .

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moving on from the rest of you banter, as I'm pretty sure your poo's emissions have clouded your judgement;

I heard California banned 2 strokes

It's actually much much worse than that. As of Jan. 1, 2024 they are banning the sale of all gas engines under 25hp statewide. 2 or 4 stroke. Small Off Road Equipment (SORE) Look it up.
That means lawn mowers, snow blowers, pressure washers, generators, you name it.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Annnddd… how about that G5T, 900R bottom end strength and hp at altitude. Pretty sweet, yep the chain and driveshaft on the doo are a jack in the box but so is the Polaris primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom