So I bought this Vertical escape on ebay

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I picked up a few sleds south of the border and got a reasonably priced Vertical Escape with a few cosmetic issues! A year later I finally get around to going through it as I have not ridden it yet. Bigger problems than just cosmetic.

I looked at the sled at the end of the day in a blizzard and wanted to get back to Invermere that night - lesson to all never be in a hurry looking over sleds!!!!!

A few of the issues. Welded driveshaft bearing (new driveshaft), broken driveshaft chaincase bearing ring groove (new chaincase), welded front swing arms (must have been a bad hit) Skidoo shock thrown in as Polaris shock had bent ( picked up new poaris shock the other day). Have deceided to keep it and fix it up right!!!

Attachments

• DSC01751.jpg
    DSC01751.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01754.jpg
    DSC01754.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC01753.jpg
    DSC01753.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01755.jpg
    DSC01755.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 35

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone etell me on this TEAM helix should that inner collar have a split in it????

Attachments

• DSC01748.jpg
    DSC01748.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 40

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey haggis,

haven't talk to you in a while. the split is normal, as for the rest of the sled (thats sucks). the pipe i bought works good tho.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey haggis,

haven't talk to you in a while. the split is normal, as for the rest of the sled (thats sucks). the pipe i bought works good tho.

Good to hear from you -Well glad the pipe is working well - if I end up keeping this sled I may look for another. I don't mind the project actually - had another boy just a few days after the sled show so I am not likely to be making too many mountain trips and this restoring project will be good. I have an old JD440 I want to fix up for the boys as well.

What shocks me is I can't believe people can sell sh$t that they know is broken. When I pulled the chaincase cover there was no broken piece nor snap ring for the lower bearing in the case - someone had put it back together like that. This sled has been abused but I am going to look for all used parts, do a little powder coating and make her shine and climb again.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice bird S**t weld they did, im surprised that didnt break again. should grind that smooth or re weld it and get some real penetration.

farmer4ever

Reaction score
Yeah I feel for ya man, that really sucks. I don't understand how some people can sleep at night after selling crap like that with the buyer unaware.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks, These people who sell this sh*t ought to be shot

Sled actually came from your neck of the woods - East Wenatchee.

What do you guys use for salt on roads in winter. I have bought a couple sleds from WA and they sure are prone to corrosion. When I was driving home after getting this the roads were covered with a brown brine looking snowmelt product - kinda gross.

Good lesson for me in future - I had driven from Invermere BC to Spokane (picked up a mint condition Rev 800 that was spotless clean) and then over to Wenatchee for this Polaris and then back to Invermere - 23 hours round trip. When I got to Wenatchee I realised this sled was rougher than ebay listing had indicated but I thought well I didn't drive all this way to come home with nothing so I put her on the tralier and thought at the most $500 in parts to fix. $500 took care of cosmetics but this is extra for sure - oh well chalk it up to experience!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a sand salt mix. Alot of people think its just sand but truck frames rust, and my sled has some rust from trailering it too. Its kinda shitty but not as bad as ontario where is only salt and your bolts inside your car rust

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a real strange film left on my truck and trailer - I thought it may have been a calcium product that they used as a pre application then salt and sand on top.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to go from the 39 tooth gear to a 41 tooth - I shouldn't need a new chain for just going up 2 teeth right?

9hundo

There was a real strange film left on my truck and trailer - I thought it may have been a calcium product that they used as a pre application then salt and sand on top.

Most likely it's Mag Chloride.

Also, do you need a chaincase? I have a really nice one that I'm not gonna use.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just starting to pull some used parts together. I am going to pull the motor later tonight and snap a few pics - welds look suspicious to me and would like some other opinions. Cheers.

Last edited:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Feel like Holmes on homes going through a bad repair job and pointing out what a crappy job the contractor did.

On the left foothold the trailing arm has been pushed back and bolt does not run straight anymore through the tunnel - what is the best way to fix that - new parts or can it be straightened? Also are the welds in the pictures suspicious?

Attachments

• DSC01764.jpg
    DSC01764.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01772.jpg
    DSC01772.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01760.jpg
    DSC01760.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 29

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics of te welds under the bulhead.

Attachments

• DSC01765.jpg
    DSC01765.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01767.jpg
    DSC01767.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01771.jpg
    DSC01771.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC01768.jpg
    DSC01768.jpg