so i have to ask....why dont some people run tarps...?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will normally always see my truck clean inside and out,sled clean also, do i run a tarp, very rarely. it ripped after half dozen times of use and havent fixed it yet. but i found when i leave at 3am to head to mountains roads arent bad for mess on sled, if i had my tarp i never used it from mountain to town anyhow. when i get back to city from sledding the truck and sled get washed before unloading , yes it looks clean under the hood and not like its corroded. actually find tarp gets dirty then when untarping your riding gear gets dirty, also hated tarping on deck anyhow. find it easier to go to carwash after every trip. if sled gets dirty on drive up go do a few carves in the snow

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually find tarp gets dirty then when untarping your riding gear gets dirty, also hated tarping on deck anyhow. find it easier to go to carwash after every trip. if sled gets dirty on drive up go do a few carves in the snow
Ya, I really don't get this explanation. You are worried that a dirty tarp is going to get your gear dirty, but the same dirt your tarp protected from your sled is now directly on your sled that you are going to sit on and ride?? No worries about getting your gear dirty from that?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should all set up a check after the police check stops? Then all the brain dead ones with no tarps could have their knees taken out and a good old beat down so you can feel better about yourselves while you drive the rest of the way home! Hey and while your at it if there are any half tons on the road these guys could also be beaten, videoed and publicly shamed. Post it all on social media too so we all know that you social justice warriors have cleaned up our sport. Good god guys give it a break and go ride!
Hey if the shoe fits....

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
There's not as much traffic when you travel,which makes a huge difference. It's the spray off other vehicles that gets your sleds dirty.Only bad part about the wee hours is that's when Bullwinkle likes to hang out on the highway near Moose Lake.
you will normally always see my truck clean inside and out,sled clean also, do i run a tarp, very rarely. it ripped after half dozen times of use and havent fixed it yet. but i found when i leave at 3am to head to mountains roads arent bad for mess on sled, if i had my tarp i never used it from mountain to town anyhow. when i get back to city from sledding the truck and sled get washed before unloading , yes it looks clean under the hood and not like its corroded. actually find tarp gets dirty then when untarping your riding gear gets dirty, also hated tarping on deck anyhow. find it easier to go to carwash after every trip. if sled gets dirty on drive up go do a few carves in the snow

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After buying turbo sleds I have alway tarped them, due to possible turbo spin from air moving on the intake. No oil would shorten the life of the turbo, plus diamond s hood would look like sh!t covered in road slime. Sad part is your 80,000 dollar rig gets it no matter if you are loaded or not.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's not as much traffic when you travel,which makes a huge difference. It's the spray off other vehicles that gets your sleds dirty.Only bad part about the wee hours is that's when Bullwinkle likes to hang out on the highway near Moose Lake.
ya but as of last year one less bullwinkle to worry about

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I really don't get this explanation. You are worried that a dirty tarp is going to get your gear dirty, but the same dirt your tarp protected from your sled is now directly on your sled that you are going to sit on and ride?? No worries about getting your gear dirty from that?
when travelling early morning no spray from other vehicles, so sled stays clean,so don't have much on sled to get clothes dirty, tarps get dirty and hold dirt thru out the season and are hard to clean, try it before you knock it. travelling with a open trailer or during the day is different for the spray making a mess, that is when I would generally tarp, middle of the night or on deck I find its easier to wash equipment for little mess

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did a2000km journey no tarps. It made me wanna cry a bit but didn’t get to much on them travelling we hours and staying far back from others,trying to protect my things is always a battle,albeit boats campers quads bikes vehicles, the earth is made of salt and grime and rocks and bugs

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tarps get dirty and hold dirt thru out the season and are hard to clean

I spray my tarp off at the car wash when it is still on the sled as soon as I get back to town before I even go home. Then throw it in the washing machine when I get to the house and let it air dry. Works great.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just not sure why you all seem so bent out of shape about it. Like many people here have said I am more worried about my poor truck than a sled way up on a sled deck. Open trailer with no splash guard thats a different story. But again I don't go on a ten page whiny rant about it if thats what guys choose to do.
Hey if the shoe fits....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just not sure why you all seem so bent out of shape about it. Like many people here have said I am more worried about my poor truck than a sled way up on a sled deck. Open trailer with no splash guard thats a different story. But again I don't go on a ten page whiny rant about it if thats what guys choose to do.

Who’s whining?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who isn't? Never knew everyone could get so but hurt about how others choose to treat their own equipment. I'd say 95% of the damage to the sleds comes from bashing them into trees, rocks, stumps and crap and pounding them up whooped out trails,(Not being untarped) don't see you all complaining about that daily occurrence.
Who’s whining?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See the road just behind my fire pit? That is the road I ride up from my driveway.

Only it looks a bit snowier today.

Did the bridge up at the top end below the burn ever get put back in? Haven't been up there for a few years now. :confused:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get that for sure.. only way to know for sure is rag in exhaust or intake plug situation. Nobody knows what happens under the sheets..

After buying turbo sleds I have alway tarped them, due to possible turbo spin from air moving on the intake. No oil would shorten the life of the turbo, plus diamond s hood would look like sh!t covered in road slime. Sad part is your 80,000 dollar rig gets it no matter if you are loaded or not.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who isn't? Never knew everyone could get so but hurt about how others choose to treat their own equipment. I'd say 95% of the damage to the sleds comes from bashing them into trees, rocks, stumps and crap and pounding them up whooped out trails,(Not being untarped) don't see you all complaining about that daily occurrence.

I believe the name of the thread is called “so I have to ask.... why do some tarp and others don’t?”

Maybe we can start a new thread “so I have to ask.... why do some people ride in the mountains and damage their sleds on trees, rocks, stumps and whooped out trails”

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't tarp mine in the box of my pickup. The pickup truck itself takes the brunt of the abuse. Next powpow ride washes that salt off anyway...not that i ever saw a rust problem on any of my sleds.

Top Bottom