Snowmobile ride turns tragic

Ski_X_Doo

Reaction score
''RCMP say a snowmobiler has been killed after slamming into a barbed wire fence Saturday afternoon.

Emergency crews were called to an area in Strathcona County near range road 225 and highway 14 shortly after 3 pm. RCMP say the incident took place in a rural field near the snowmobiler's residence.

The male victim sustained serious upper body injuries and was pronounced dead on scene. He was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident. The male was the only occupant on the machine. He was out with another snowmobiler at the time.

The victim, believed to be in his early 40s, was visiting from Europe. RCMP say the driver's inexperience was a factor in the crash. Alcohol was ruled out.

The name and age of the man has not yet been released''

I feel bad for this guy and his family but how do you not see a barbed wire fence.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, and Chitty for the riders family.

My condolences to all

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not enough carrots... I've been riding at dark and last minute was like woo don't go that way, fence had a single thin wire.

Buddy was out trying something new, having a good time, chitty, RIP.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel bad for this guy and his family but how do you not see a barbed wire fence.

Easy....if you don't map out your area first, or don't know the land your riding. Also 1 quick look to see how fast your going, will take you off of your line of sight.

Ski_X_Doo

Reaction score
Easy....if you don't map out your area first, or don't know the land your riding. Also 1 quick look to see how fast your going, will take you off of your line of sight.

yeah i guess even in day time though. I thought it was just common sence to look around map and watch where you going and making sure you keep you speed a little down because you havent been there before. My sinceritys to the family R.I.P

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the family....

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a very easy thing to do. I almost did it when I was a kid. The only thing that saved us was my cousin, who was on the back, saw it and reached for the brake and nailed it hard. We came to about 10 feet of it before we stopped. I had the throttle pinned before he braked on that 4500 so we were cruisin.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad! Condolences to friends and family. Those barb wire fences have claimed few over the years. :(

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had hit a one wire fence when i was a kid. I luckly was not going very fast being i was ridding a 250 citation but still it managed to rip my helmet off my head then threw me at least 10 feet back the other direction. I had road that same field almost ever day being it was just across the road from my parents house then one day the farmer decided to put up the fence as he had run out of room to keep all his cows in his yard for the winter. It just shows you that just because you were there one day doesnt mean it is still safe the next. The farmer was a good friend to my family and felt realy bad but it was really not his fault.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's terrible news. It can happen fast, and it can happen to anybody. Fogged up goggles or glasses, low light... it doesn't take much to turn a fun day trip into tragidy. My condolances to the family.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
''RCMP say a snowmobiler has been killed after slamming into a barbed wire fence Saturday afternoon.

Emergency crews were called to an area in Strathcona County near range road 225 and highway 14 shortly after 3 pm. RCMP say the incident took place in a rural field near the snowmobiler's residence.

The male victim sustained serious upper body injuries and was pronounced dead on scene. He was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident. The male was the only occupant on the machine. He was out with another snowmobiler at the time.

The victim, believed to be in his early 40s, was visiting from Europe. RCMP say the driver's inexperience was a factor in the crash. Alcohol was ruled out.

The name and age of the man has not yet been released''

Sometimes, there are new fences built and not everyone knows they are there. I see it every year where I live. Alot of cattle grazing lease holders only put up one electric smooth wire with the posts spaced quite far apart.
There is no mandate to remove the fence, so it stays up. Of course we are only speculating on this particular incident, but those sledding in cattle country need to be cautious as the landscape is forever changing.
Regardless of how it happened, it is tragic and should be a lesson to us all.

martushev800

Reaction score
condolences to the family. never will know what went wrong but i've hit a fence myself.it will be a exactly a year this coming up super bowl weekend.got the scar across the face to prove it, anyways sometimes things just happen so fast its hard to explain,just a split second of not payng full attention and havin the throttle pinned..

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
My condolences to all involved as well.

I also took out a barb wire fence.I was lucky and saw it in time to stand up
and take it on the chest.I still have the sled suit with the cuts in it as a reminder to know the area you are riding in.
I'm very sorry to hear of this tragedy so early in the season.

Top Bottom