Yamaha to exit the snowmobile market

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall. They took a gamble on an all 4 stroke engine which was Yamahas way to meet EPA. Unfortunately/fortunately, the other 3 brands were able to meet and exceed EPA over the course of 15+ years while Yamaha stayed true to their vision. During that time, they lost customers which then you start losing cash flow. The people wanted lighter sleds, not heavier ones. Once you start losing cash flow and the competition is leaping forward, you then can’t afford to build new chassises. The Nytro was their last chassis to call their own.
Bedding with Cat was their last effort to stay in the game.
This is my thoughts on the whole situation and I’ve been Yamaha since 2006.
Regardless of how brand loyal you are, as a community we lost a competitor. It’s a sad day when that happens.

Im glad I bought a Doo for the new year. Maybe now Maxwell won’t ignore me. ;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think 30% on the hill were Yamahas? To give some context in all my trips to Revy last year I think I may have honestly seen 2 Yamahas. On my yearly trip to Chatter there was none out of all the sleds there. Mostly Polaris and Doo with a smattering of Cats here and there. 30% seems high?
Boys boys boys. I said "Sleds sold in north america" - You guys realize there's more to North America than just Alberta and BC right? LOL Yes, I would agree not 30% yammys for western Canadian riding. I don't even think I saw 30% as Cats last year. At least 80% is Doo and Poo out west more likely. But just so we are clear - I didn't go around and count every sled in the parking lot on any given day, or at the hotel, or at the gas station, or the restaurant so that's not an official number, just an approximation. :cool:

I only used 30% as an ultra conservative number, not a literal number of sleds that I saw.....because the sales numbers were NA wide, so I was extrapolating to include ALL of the continent as I don't know the official percentages from out east and down south, but i do know they ride more 4 strokes than we do, so proportionally, they will have more Yamahas out east and down south. If you use 25 or 30% as a conservative number and its still not a viable business, its definitely not going to viable at the more realistic value of 15-20% (which is maybe closer to their true market share).

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this will create more shortages of sleds, Could the last 3 standing produce more sleds for all? It will definitely increase the price of a sled with less competition in the market. Used market value will also increase I guess.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this will create more shortages of sleds, Could the last 3 standing produce more sleds for all? It will definitely increase the price of a sled with less competition in the market. Used market value will also increase I guess.
That's what I was thinking...prices about to be going up!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a factory. That's what they do, produce sleds. Naturally they can produce more. Management realized that producing 'not enough' is more profitable because it keeps average sales price inflated.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does this mean in 10 years they can stop making parts? I love the old Yamaha stuff…

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im still waiting for Honda to enter the snowmobile market place...

Maybe they will buy all the tooling for $1 dollars and take over the whole sport... lol

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does this mean BRP and Polaris are going to get a bunch of applications for dealer licences? I’m assuming that most dealers will want to sell some sort of sled but maybe they’ll abandon sleds all together and focus on the on and off road markets? BRP and Polaris are both focused on mega store type dealers it seems, and those dealers likely won’t want to share the market.

Hopefully the Yamaha staff directly affected will be able to keep working in the industry at other companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most the dealers around here a few years ago went from jusy either yamaha or cat to both brands so hopefully enough of them can stay afloat with the cat side of things but at the current cat prices to doo prices it dont look good for cat, 22 alpha 800 full load was 22,000 otd my 23 turbo do was 24500 otd cat had better get there ch!t together quick or we will ge down to 2 brands

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most the dealers around here a few years ago went from jusy either yamaha or cat to both brands so hopefully enough of them can stay afloat with the cat side of things but at the current cat prices to doo prices it dont look good for cat, 22 alpha 800 full load was 22,000 otd my 23 turbo do was 24500 otd cat had better get there ch!t together quick or we will ge down to 2 brands

We’re already down to two brands, some people just can’t accept it. Yamaha quitting the sled game is a moot point around these parts. The flat land trail riding liberals out east might be but hurt that Yamaha is gone but really who cares out this way. And cat……. I hear they sold out of the 20 600 catalysts they built. Cats year to turn things around has come and gone….. there is a reason I’m on a turbo r now. The writing has been on the wall for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the mountains I can't remember the last time seeing a yamaha,but thought in other areas of the world where trail riding is all they do would of thought yamaha would do okay.
With less options for sleds the price will go up and they already seem to climb up the price every year. The sport might start seeing mod sleds getting to be popular again.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yha know,,, had yamaha incorporate a pto out put shaft on their snowmobile too power up grain augers they'd still be in business !!!

Go sledding on the weekend,,, empty the grain bins during the week...

And add a lawn mower attachment for the summer months...

We need multi use sleds... lol

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yha know,,, had yamaha incorporate a pto out put shaft on their snowmobile too power up grain augers they'd still be in business !!!

Go sledding on the weekend,,, empty the grain bins during the week...

And add a lawn mower attachment for the summer months...

We need multi use sleds... lol

Send that to Yamy Engineering, clearly they need fresh thinking and new ides.

Top Bottom