Snowmobile Registration

rayf01

Reaction score
From what I have read on alberta's website, is that you don't need to register unless you are riding on public crown land? Otherwise you need to registration and display a license plate I assume?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you stay on private land that you have permission you do not need insurance or registration
as soon as you ride in a ditch,lake,river or crown land you need insurance and registration

cammont

Reaction score
Technically, riding in the ditch along side and public road in Alberta is not permitted. But yes, on Crown land your sled needs to have current registration, valid insurance and your licence plate properly affixed to your machine. You must be able to readily provide your documents to a Peace Office if requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technically, riding in the ditch along side and public road in Alberta is not permitted. But yes, on Crown land your sled needs to have current registration, valid insurance and your licence plate properly affixed to your machine. You must be able to readily provide your documents to a Peace Office if requested.

Actually in some areas it is legal to ride in ditches not along primary or secondary highways though and it depends on what county or md you are in

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup... x2

landownunder

Reaction score
It is definitely worth it if you will be riding on crown land. Last winter on my first ride out after I bought a new sled I got a 'No Registration' ticket as I had only insured it and not bothered to register it yet....don't remember exactly what the ticket cost but it was nearly the same price as my insurance/registration for the whole year. I have gotten a few no registration/insurance tickets on quads/dirtbikes before too so I should of known better!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

:doh:

Top Bottom