Kijiji Scams

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just listed my 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab on Kijiji. Wow I have heard that you need to be watchful of scams but it has been rediculous. From the minute I listed it I started getting texts from all kinds of area codes. They all wanted me to go to their preferred website and get a history report on the vehicle. All these sites are suspicious and don't show up in Google searches. I can see how so many could get taken by these scammers who go back and forth pretending to be interested. The problem is I may have told some real prospective buyers to get lost. Gone are the days that guys came and looked and decidied if they liked it and then, if worried, did some digging on the vehicle history.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same this when I sold my dad's SxS. Mostly Montreal or Quebec numbers. They just want you to pay $40 at whatever fake website for some fake vehicle history report. And then they will ghost you. I think if a person asks for a Carfax report or something more legitimate then they are serious. I usually tell them if they want a carfax to at least come look at it first to make sure they are interested before doing so.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All the BS with the selling of my flat deck F350 was something else for sure. I told quite a few to “go fly a kite” after I figured out the BS. I didn’t pay for a CarFax and it was helpful for the serious buyers. Those preferred sites that they use are BS and I would tell them to “take it or leave it” if they wouldn’t take a CarFax report.
FaceBook garage was the best place but the guy that bought it was a highway cruiser and saw it parked along the highway.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Its just as bad when you are trying to buy something, the price looks great and you contact them, next thing you know its someone else vehicle and they give you a email to contact, it is really hard to deal with people especially since most of them now are new Canadians patching things up poorly and flipping, you cannot believe a word they say, unfortunate but true.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where does the info in a car fax report come from.
Mine came from ICBC and any service outlets that are registered with CarFax. Kal Tire, Jacobson Ford in Salmon Arm, along with Dunlop Ford in Lethbridge were all on there with tires, oil changes, fluid changes, a pinion gear change out, and there were no accidents on the truck. Two small time private mechanic shops in Salmon Arm weren’t on my CarFax information; one was an exhaust manifold replace and the other was catalytic convertor removed.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just as bad when you are trying to buy something, the price looks great and you contact them, next thing you know its someone else vehicle and they give you a email to contact, it is really hard to deal with people especially since most of them now are new Canadians patching things up poorly and flipping, you cannot believe a word they say, unfortunate but true.
Had a quad i was gonna buy, when i showed up to view it it looked good and ran ok, when i asked about liens and title the guy had still never paid it off in 6 years and phoned BC finance and they told him send us the cash and in 10 days we will send clear title that pissed me off right there. Who needs 7+ years to pay off a 700 grizzly i left and he only saw the blackie and taillights. Better off to run a report from registries that will tell you everywhere that vehicle has been and is good along with somewhat of a mechanical knowledge or simply a private mechanic inspection prior to buying.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
barely better
but why wont they phone you. when you ask to speak them
much easier to sell or buy when in an actuall conversation

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Selling or buying on Facebook or Kijiji is all the same Can't trust any one. Looked at a BMW suv that the seller said no accidents. I could see the overspray in the wheel well and the paint blend line on the quarter panel.

Selling my 5th wheel. Add says it is 35.5 feet long. A couple drives an hour to my place to look at it and say they love it but their driveway is only 33 feet long:LOL:. Another buyer gives me an e-transfer deposit and then a few days later can't buy it cause they can't get insurance. Tells me to keep their deposit.
It is all a big pain in the ass.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
barely better
but why wont they phone you. when you ask to speak them
much easier to sell or buy when in an actuall conversation
They all say that they are at work and can't talk right now so would prefer to text.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen it both ways on the calls, sometimes its way faster and easier to get on the same page and make a deal. But the other times its even more of a waste of time. I had a guy call me about an outboard motor, talk for 15+ minutes about how its perfect for his boat, yada yada. . . then at the end admits he can't afford it.

Top Bottom