Trans issue? 68RFE

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My story got worse. Once they replaced the parts in the tranny, the mechanic was reconnecting the batteries and crossed wires and fried the ECM. Another 7 days to get one flown in from Detriot for $8600. I picked up the truck once complete, asked them if they test drove and they said they did. I take pictures of my odomoeter before I drop vehicles off for service to see if they actually drive them and after 37 days, the truck had 0.6km on it....get halfway across lot and every light on the dash that can illuminate does. Pull back in and they find the ECM doesn't know which injector is firing at what time, so they need to give them addresses...2 days later it ran as it should.

On a side note - have a 20 CTD - it feels quite a bit different than my 14. It's almost quieter than my wife's 3.5 Ecoboost at idle.

After my brothers truck was basically 4 years old and worthless... I vowed to never spend a dollar in a Fiat dealer.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO if the filter was loose it would still be causing issues, the valve bodies have more issues than anything else on those, also have lot's of safety in the transmission so as to not burn it up if a issue comes up. Was your dash reading ok? What code came up? Do you know what temp trans was at when issue happened ?

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My story got worse. Once they replaced the parts in the tranny, the mechanic was reconnecting the batteries and crossed wires and fried the ECM. Another 7 days to get one flown in from Detriot for $8600. I picked up the truck once complete, asked them if they test drove and they said they did. I take pictures of my odomoeter before I drop vehicles off for service to see if they actually drive them and after 37 days, the truck had 0.6km on it....get halfway across lot and every light on the dash that can illuminate does. Pull back in and they find the ECM doesn't know which injector is firing at what time, so they need to give them addresses...2 days later it ran as it should.

On a side note - have a 20 CTD - it feels quite a bit different than my 14. It's almost quieter than my wife's 3.5 Ecoboost at idle.

holy chiiit id be pissed! I assume that dealer is not your go to dealer anymore haha.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO if the filter was loose it would still be causing issues, the valve bodies have more issues than anything else on those, also have lot's of safety in the transmission so as to not burn it up if a issue comes up. Was your dash reading ok? What code came up? Do you know what temp trans was at when issue happened ?

dash was fine, no lights other then engine light code P0871 trans valve body/temp. No clue what the trans temp was. wasn't burnt or low, fluid is clean. Hasn't done it since. Although, its shifting a little harder in the higher gears. I should have my trailer on all this week so hoping to see something pop up again.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After my brothers truck was basically 4 years old and worthless... I vowed to never spend a dollar in a Fiat dealer.

If it's worthless after 4 years it's not Ram's fault, he must have beat the hell out of it.

I paid $51k for my 13 and when it was stolen last year I got $34k for it with 175km on it. Cannot complain about 17k drop in value after 6 years.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dash was fine, no lights other then engine light code P0871 trans valve body/temp. No clue what the trans temp was. wasn't burnt or low, fluid is clean. Hasn't done it since. Although, its shifting a little harder in the higher gears. I should have my trailer on all this week so hoping to see something pop up again.

Just curious why you need the trailer to test? Unless they changed something in the new trucks, other then the brake control the truck has no way of knowing it has a trailer behind it, and unless they changed something with that it's strictly for lights and brakes, tow/haul is still something you do separately which you could do without trailer hooked up? That light of a trailer isn't going to change how the tranny acts.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you need the trailer to test? Unless they changed something in the new trucks, other then the brake control the truck has no way of knowing it has a trailer behind it, and unless they changed something with that it's strictly for lights and brakes, tow/haul is still something you do separately which you could do without trailer hooked up? That light of a trailer isn't going to change how the tranny acts.

i would agree but driving around without the trailer it has no issues, even if i turn on tow mode. It only changes the shifts at higher rpm and seems fine other then feels like the shifts are not as smooth. but it's very minor and that's me trying to find a problem... I have put 1,100kms on since, not much of that has been with the trailer. I was hoping with the trailer on all this week and a few hwy runs it might pop up. Again, i agree with ya, this trailer is only 2400lbs and at most i would add is around 1,000lb with a bike and tools. Definitely something wrong, but until it pops a code or light again dealer can't do anything.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For your code it's a pressure issue or temp issue, you already checked oil level and said it's fine so imo the next step is pressure test. I would push dealer to do that with just the fact you know the code before it was cleared. But problem could be just a temp sensor which they won't do unless it acts up for them

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's worthless after 4 years it's not Ram's fault, he must have beat the hell out of it.

I paid $51k for my 13 and when it was stolen last year I got $34k for it with 175km on it. Cannot complain about 17k drop in value after 6 years.

You kinda sound like Maxwell but for Dodge. Sometimes despite a companies best efforts a few turds get sold....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would agree but driving around without the trailer it has no issues, even if i turn on tow mode. It only changes the shifts at higher rpm and seems fine other then feels like the shifts are not as smooth. but it's very minor and that's me trying to find a problem... I have put 1,100kms on since, not much of that has been with the trailer. I was hoping with the trailer on all this week and a few hwy runs it might pop up. Again, i agree with ya, this trailer is only 2400lbs and at most i would add is around 1,000lb with a bike and tools. Definitely something wrong, but until it pops a code or light again dealer can't do anything.

Find someone with a heavy trailer and hook it up and see what the tranny does? If you still got awhile on warranty and aren't going far you could wait it out a bit, but if it's ending anytime soon I would hook up a heavy trailer and give it a test.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You kinda sound like Maxwell but for Dodge. Sometimes despite a companies best efforts a few turds get sold....

Of course and I had a lemon Dodge years ago. In most cases a turd doesn't kill resale, especially if still on warranty. That's when you go trade it in. Especially considering how hot the used truck market is.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find someone with a heavy trailer and hook it up and see what the tranny does? If you still got awhile on warranty and aren't going far you could wait it out a bit, but if it's ending anytime soon I would hook up a heavy trailer and give it a test.

already got a plan to haul buddy's skid steer and trailer from alberta beach to the city on Friday. Truck still has 20,000km of warranty.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you get it figured out while on warranty.

Once mine was fixed. It worked fine.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it GM and Ford have no problem building reliable transmissions but fiat still has problems?

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it GM and Ford have no problem building reliable transmissions but fiat still has problems?

Be nice if the gas 2500 came with a Aisin transmission. I had a 14 3500 6.7 with BD screamer turbo and heavy tune and never had a trans issue. My 15 Denali pavement princess never had an issue either.... sometimes ya just get one bunk part...this lil problem doesn't make me wish i had a different truck, i love this truck. chit happens.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
already got a plan to haul buddy's skid steer and trailer from alberta beach to the city on Friday. Truck still has 20,000km of warranty.

Pulled a 26' flat deck with a fair sized skid steer with extra buckets and attachments on Friday. About a hour on the hwy, i did use tow mode. didn't have any issues. Sucked the gas like a mother fawker tho. Shifting still seems hard in higher gears. But all seemed good.

Asked my dealer if i can book it in, i didn't tell them it pulled fine now. Only info they have is from my previous call so was hoping they could still "take a look" Guy says i can get you in 2nd week of May. Thanks for all the tips and advise gents. Much appreciated :beer:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One of my customers just had his Ford 10 speed 5hit the bed and he was stuck in Vancouver for about a week while they waited for a new one. It was warranty but this is a pretty new truck.

Top Bottom