Trans issue? 68RFE

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my customers just had his Ford 10 speed 5hit the bed and he was stuck in Vancouver for about a week while they waited for a new one. It was warranty but this is a pretty new truck.

It happens....there’s always lemons here and there, but fiat has multiple years and multiple models of slushboxes that had high failure rates....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
it happens....there’s always lemons here and there, but fiat has multiple years and multiple models of slushboxes that had high failure rates....

the ford 10 speeds are having real issues, and lots of them. Dealer has 10 trucks down right now waiting for new transmissions....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It happens....there’s always lemons here and there, but fiat has multiple years and multiple models of slushboxes that had high failure rates....

Did your wife leave you for a guy who drives a Dodge? You seem to have a axe to grind with them, but no real knowledge.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ford 10 speeds are having real issues, and lots of them. Dealer has 10 trucks down right now waiting for new transmissions....

That must mean Dodge has 100 trucks waiting for trannys right because they are so much worse?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned this on my old 3500 with a 3.55 diff. Running too hot of trans fluid.
My dually I went with a 4.10 diff
Both Ram trucks. I think people tow too heavy for trucks abilities and trans fluid is way too hot for too long.
Does not matter what brand of truck.
ebd5107b3ed55357b5943bd92bd0d481.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The new 10 speed shifts all the time and slips each time in between gears as all auto transmissions do. Not sure if this will be the downfall of a design that is never happy to staying one gear. The irony is that the torque on the diesels keep getting higher so shifting gears should be less important but I do understand there is an optimal RPM for low emissions and max fuel economy. Time will tell. I have a 68rfe and very happy with it. Lots of power and torque going through it. My last truck had an Asin and prefer the 68rfe and I had a GMC with an Allison and hated how it seemed to shift based on speed rather than load. Slow down coasting with no load and it would jam down hard.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I heard the 10 speed was a joint venture between Ford and GMC. If so you would expect the GM's to be going down too unless they run them with different software that is somehow better? Or is Ford just more powerful and the Duramax not powerful enough to damage them?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 10 speed is in ZL1 camaros and lots of mustangs too. with big power. and seem to be lasting

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And Ford has several different 10 speed transmissions in service. They’re not all the same in torque input and GVW service.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new 10 speed shifts all the time and slips each time in between gears as all auto transmissions do. Not sure if this will be the downfall of a design that is never happy to staying one gear. The irony is that the torque on the diesels keep getting higher so shifting gears should be less important but I do understand there is an optimal RPM for low emissions and max fuel economy. Time will tell. I have a 68rfe and very happy with it. Lots of power and torque going through it. My last truck had an Asin and prefer the 68rfe and I had a GMC with an Allison and hated how it seemed to shift based on speed rather than load. Slow down coasting with no load and it would jam down hard.

All these new transmissions have very little “slip” when changing ratios. They have much higher line pressures and better clutch packs that are shifted electronically based on a whole bunch of parameters, some of which exist to protect the clutch packs when shifting. I think we can all agree that most manufacturers have vastly improved the reliability and strength of their transmissions.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these new transmissions have very little “slip” when changing ratios. They have much higher line pressures and better clutch packs that are shifted electronically based on a whole bunch of parameters, some of which exist to protect the clutch packs when shifting. I think we can all agree that most manufacturers have vastly improved the reliability and strength of their transmissions.

Yes they are all much better than 25 years ago but also $10,000 for a transmission these days. Does it need to be this way? Good luck paying for a replacement once out of warranty.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are all much better than 25 years ago but also $10,000 for a transmission these days. Does it need to be this way? Good luck paying for a replacement once out of warranty.

That’s like 10 percent of the trucks new value. Crazy

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It finally happened again. Pulling trailer and truck went into limp mode, stuck in 4th gear. It's been at the dealership for 2.5 weeks now. First they change solenoid valve, didn't work. then valve body, didn't work. Waited 3 more days and they called to say they are putting in a new trans. Waiting for trans to ship from states. Hopefully warranty doesn't have any hidden fees... Service guy said it was all covered.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an issue the other day with my 15 2500 5.7. Was 33c outside, pulling skid steer up 10% grade and trans was at 82c wouldn't down shift. Temp hit 88c and ding trans to hot warning light. Shut it down waited 20mins, put in 4lo to get going since I was half way up, got to top and stopped, back to 2 wheel drive and was fine getting home.
145k on the truck, haven't pulled anything again.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an issue the other day with my 15 2500 5.7. Was 33c outside, pulling skid steer up 10% grade and trans was at 82c wouldn't down shift. Temp hit 88c and ding trans to hot warning light. Shut it down waited 20mins, put in 4lo to get going since I was half way up, got to top and stopped, back to 2 wheel drive and was fine getting home.
That warning temperature seems low….my superduty normally runs in the low 90’s Celsius whether towing or not….

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine to, 90 dosent seem to hurt the fords. My dodges I just couldn’t keep trani in them, 20-30 k and there done. Added extra cooling rads, change oils every 3to 6 months and still…ran them in 4 low in the bush and still…
I have a pile of fords and just put foot to the floor and never a trani issue. No problems with the 2021 10 speed yet but time will tell.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not exactly sure how your truck shifts/operates, but did you have the tow/haul button engaged? I know on the older models the tow/haul button would keep the torque converter locked, which would significantly lower transmission temps.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fak, hopefully it was a one off. Maybe because it was so hot out? did you get any other codes come up?

Top Bottom