Kijiji Auto Sales - Exporting vehicles outside of Canada?

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got my truck listed for sale on kijiji and received a text message from a Spokane, WA phone # (area code 509) asking to view my truck. I asked them if they were out of country and they replied that yes he (assuming he) is from Spokane and he flies up to Alberta every 2 weeks to buy vehicles and then export. He has also asked me for the VIN#.

Now I am no fool, and will not fall for the 'we will sell your vehicle for you' scam, but I was curious if anybody else has ever had a successful deal like this that wasn't fishy or scam-like. I know that people do export vehicles, and I'm assuming he would bring them back to the States, but wondering if there is anything I should be asking or watching before I give up the VIN and let this guy come view the truck.

Thanks in advance
JJ

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe worth noting, that I did look up any vehicle importing dealers in Spokane and found one that is located right along highway 2 just North of the Spokane Airport (Automotive Services Company), so I may see if this is the same dealership that this guy is working out of or if he's some 'self-employed' person... which would basically end this thread for me :)

Post Edit: Bixler Automotive is the company name. He buys it then finds himself a buyer. Phone number under that company name does not match up... will need to do some more investigating..

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe worth noting, that I did look up any vehicle importing dealers in Spokane and found one that is located right along highway 2 just North of the Spokane Airport (Automotive Services Company), so I may see if this is the same dealership that this guy is working out of or if he's some 'self-employed' person... which would basically end this thread for me :)

Post Edit: Bixler Automotive is the company name. He buys it then finds himself a buyer. Phone number under that company name does not match up... will need to do some more investigating..

If he shows up, the offer and the money are good, whats there to loose? I would just make sure the money clears the bank before the vehicle leaves the driveway. After that, adios!

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he shows up, the offer and the money are good, whats there to loose? I would just make sure the money clears the bank before the vehicle leaves the driveway. After that, adios!

That is a fair argument.
Is there any way that the money can be deposited, but then taken back by some governing body due to 'dirty' or stolen money? Might sound like a dumb question, but I know that the reverse can happen if you buy stolen property with your clean money. They can show up and take whatever it is you bought if it was stolen, so can they do the same with money?

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite normal actually and I wouldn't be hesitant . They run the VIN to see the option list and in service date etc . Seems like the number one export these days is used trucks . All you see is car haulers with trucks going south

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a fair argument.
Is there any way that the money can be deposited, but then taken back by some governing body due to 'dirty' or stolen money? Might sound like a dumb question, but I know that the reverse can happen if you buy stolen property with your clean money. They can show up and take whatever it is you bought if it was stolen, so can they do the same with money?

once cash is in your account and your bank doesnt show a hold on it, its your cash.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once cash is in your account and your bank doesnt show a hold on it, its your cash.

This guy says that I could go to TD and withdraw the bank draft with him, then go to my bank to deposit it... so I guess it all sounds legit? So long as my bank does not show a hold on it. The value would be over $16K so I don't know if there is a mandatory hold on certain values of bank drafts.

I would just hate knowing that I saw someone drive off with my truck and never saw a dime.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had this happen to me before, the right vehicle leaves money in it for them in the US. I had him get a bank draft and bring it to my bank, once deposited and they said it was good he got the keys, very painless

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a similar transaction with a broker from AB. He flew his driver to me, we went to his bank got a draft then I went to mine and deposited it. At first I was extremely cautious as the broker essentially bought the truck site unseen...makes you wonder how much profit there is to selling down south

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least 20 loads of used trucks and suv's go by my house in Moyie daily, 7 days a week, headed for the States. Must be money to be made.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember that when you both go to bank for the draft ? A receipt is given to the person paying you .
You need a copy of that receipt for your bank in order to not have a hold on draft for 7 days .
Just FYI .

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok well that sounds promising if some of you have had similar experiences! It’s definitely not how I would buy a truck!!

As many of you have already said, must be decent money in it. Appreciate all of the feedback everyone. If it works out (or doesn’t..) I’ll be sure to let you know

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely very legit, I use to buy, sell and haul vehicles to the states and as long as our dollar stays the way it is it’ll keep going for a while. I would think he’s taking them to the auction in Spokane. FYI-this is a wholesale dealer auction so if you want to put a ton of extra cash in your pocket do your homework and call dealers in the US yourself and sell direct.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had a really clean F150 with just under 200k on it, listed it on kijiji and one of these US based guys contacted him, met him in Edmonton on short notice, quick test drive then stopped at the bank and done deal. Apparently as long as the exchange rate rate is in the lower 0.70's they typically make a couple grand per vehicle.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My deal went like this, arranged a price over the phone a driver flew to EIA took a cab to me inspected truck. We went to Ford dealer because there was about 5K owing to ford credit paid off and confirmed with a finance guy, went to bank and deposited the remainder into my acct via a draft that was confirmed by a manager done deal. He then drove away the truck headed to Vancouver I believe. Went very smooth.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens all the time around here. (I’m only 80k from the border)
If the money is real, sell it. There’s little brokers all over here, and I know quite a few people who send vehicles south. They are worth almost the same dollar value there, so it’s a quick 30% off for them.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup that would be the guy, when I look up Bixler Automotives Travis Bixler pops up.

I spoke to him before...sounds legit...he is a wholesaler that resell to the retailers so the money he is offering is probably much lower than what it could be sold for. So like someone said earlier, you could prob get more money if you find a dealer who is not a wholesaler.....but, Travis does all the ground work of cross border documents and gets them shipped.

Top Bottom