Silent Pass conditions

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can. There's a few truck turn around spots. Not sure exact kilo mark. Bring a radio or follow someone with one. There's Def been a few big trailers ending up in the bush over the years.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
As long as people dont block the turn outs you can turn a trailer around ,its tight but doable. And yes a VHF is very good to have or a must on the road up

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They'll know the radio frequencies at the trail booth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

its posted right after the train crossing when you turn off the road... RDad the signs and you will be fine. Toll booth lady will mostly likely will NOT know the freq, they are not radioing logging companies this year as it was a gong show last year of liars.

snowho

Reaction score
The road was very icy on Friday. Lots of enclosed trailers past 40 km mark though.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saturday was a tad slippery in spots for sure, we were good with the deck and there were lots of smaller enclosed with no chains. I radioed from home to see what it was like and at that point a trailer was jack-knifed on the way up, blocking the road. Couldn't make it, tried backing up :eek: and peeps finally unhooked his enclosed, turned him around and sent him down. On the way up the bottom first 5k was slick, on the way out it had rotted out a bit and wasn't anything. The North Fork is the most slippery, up until there you get the odd piece of gravel. :) Winter tires for sure, and chains if you have them. It was raining hard when we left, the top part of the road on the way out was like we were following a Zamboni :) I would expect it's rotted out a lot this week, it's been very warm and it could be in great shape. It's cold this week, with a melt/freeze on Friday/Sat night with precip. Soooooo…..you can take it from there. :)

And, I have to say it, if you're not familiar with mountain roads/ice/driving with a trailer, or all the above…maybe consider taking the highway to Quartz. :) Roads aren't necessarily good for inexperienced mountain drivers, Silent is 45kms of it.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Saturday was a tad slippery in spots for sure, we were good with the deck and there were lots of smaller enclosed with no chains. I radioed from home to see what it was like and at that point a trailer was jack-knifed on the way up, blocking the road. Couldn't make it, tried backing up :eek: and peeps finally unhooked his enclosed, turned him around and sent him down. On the way up the bottom first 5k was slick, on the way out it had rotted out a bit and wasn't anything. The North Fork is the most slippery, up until there you get the odd piece of gravel. :) Winter tires for sure, and chains if you have them. It was raining hard when we left, the top part of the road on the way out was like we were following a Zamboni :) I would expect it's rotted out a lot this week, it's been very warm and it could be in great shape. It's cold this week, with a melt/freeze on Friday/Sat night with precip. Soooooo…..you can take it from there. :)

And, I have to say it, if you're not familiar with mountain roads/ice/driving with a trailer, or all the above…maybe consider taking the highway to Quartz. :) Roads aren't necessarily good for inexperienced mountain drivers, Silent is 45kms of it.

sure give these guys that speech, the first time we went there, you were like "just follow us"...... sheeesh! ;)

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well..... we are going to give it a try. We are new to riding in the Golden Area. Have 4X4 Truck, Chains, Winch and Radio. Hope to see some of you folks out there.Might even take a second truck with a sled deck for a pilot truck.

Thanks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha, you wouldn't of been following on Saturday lol. Not unless you were actually 'attached' to us. :p lol jk

new truck.... Old Chevy gone..... Ram would have had to tow you guys ;) hahah :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well..... we are going to give it a try. We are new to riding in the Golden Area. Have 4X4 Truck, Chains, Winch and Radio. Hope to see some of you folks out there.Might even take a second truck with a sled deck for a pilot truck.

Thanks.

Use the radio and just know that the first few kms are a pretty good hill with a few switchbacks. Fuel up and double check you didn't forget something before you leave town, I think we were 170 kms round trip last time so long way to get there and realize your beacon/helmet/whatever is back in the hotel room.

Put it in 4 wheel at the collection booth and keep your speed up when climbing the hill. There are a few trouble spots on the hill (around 3-5 km with the switchbacks) and some corners (like 21, and 35 km markers) where trucks usually find the snow bank. Take it easy going in and coming out, especially on the hill coming back out as you're loaded heavy coming down. not worth going off the bank to get there (or home) 3 mins faster.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the radio and just know that the first few kms are a pretty good hill with a few switchbacks. Fuel up and double check you didn't forget something before you leave town, I think we were 170 kms round trip last time so long way to get there and realize your beacon/helmet/whatever is back in the hotel room.

Put it in 4 wheel at the collection booth and keep your speed up when climbing the hill. There are a few trouble spots on the hill (around 3-5 km with the switchbacks) and some corners (like 21, and 35 km markers) where trucks usually find the snow bank. Take it easy going in and coming out, especially on the hill coming back out as you're loaded heavy coming down. not worth going off the bank to get there (or home) 3 mins faster.
Wise words of wisdom right there.

Top Bottom