Should CANADIANS be Packing?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does wanting your freedom mean zero gun control? There needs to be some level of control, we're not in the ol' west any more. Rule and regulations need to be in place or we will be back to the times of callin people out at high noon.

bblosser

Reaction score
It seems to me that people seem to forget that the american constitution was first adopted in 1787 and the Bill of rights which governs the right to keep and bear arms came into effect in 1791. What makes people think that the things that were neccessary to ensure their survival in 1791 are still relavent in todays age. Peoples intelligence levels, their quality of life and their education are continually evolving - but for some reason our rights as citizens of free nations are not. To me freedom means not having to worry that other 'untrained' citizens are carrying a weapon that could kill me in a blink of an eye, or that my religious views do not have to be reflected in my political views. But as far as I can see, government has certainly not evolved as much as the average person in the last 215 years.

BeefRockmore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
BeefRockmore.com
does wanting your freedom mean zero gun control? There needs to be some level of control, we're not in the ol' west any more. Rule and regulations need to be in place or we will be back to the times of callin people out at high noon.

A room full of armed people is a room full of very polite people.

I compete in Cowboy Mounted Shooting and have learned a number of things about the "old west" over the years. The ol' high noon call out happened like less than 5 times that can be reasonably accounted.

Reasonable & responsible people will always prevail provided they don't surrender to the evil before them. The US Constitution allows for zero gun control by the federal government. However, it then falls to the 50 states (not 57 states Obama thinks we have, that's 57 Islamic states organization he's thinking of). Each US state can make it's laws. The Citizens of a given state have a LOT more access to a state/local representatives and can effect or stop change much more readily.

To answer your question directly, yes, it means zero gun control, but that requires a society with individual responsibility. That's pretty hard to find in this age of abdication of responsibility.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have the energy to say, I think you're way off. Most criminals to go into a situation knowing the odds and possible ramifications, including the death penalty and they DO care if the prospective victim is armed.

The NRA and Fox News are very reputable sources who use official numbers, unlike ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, BBC, etc that cook numbers or use skewed statistics.

From your closing statements, I presume you're against the personal automobile and probably believe the global-warming scam Al Gore cooked up. Isn't he up on fraud charges?

If criminals cared about the odds or ramificatins they would not committ the cime. You basically agreed with my statement that they will committ the crime regardless if you have a gun or not. Your afraid and have everything to lose, they are motivated and have mothing to lose, who do you think stands a better chance at winning that gun battle.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of any argument, the anti-gun people want US Citizens to throw away the Constitution and Bill of Rights. It's that simple. They want government control, communism, and we want to keep our Freedom.

That's it in a nutshell and not just for guns, but for any subject.

You government has already thrown out your constitutional rites and freedoms, it's called the Patriot Act. What's left!?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a hypathetical question ??.. not litteral. A statement to illustrate or suggest that "IF" you new someone could protect them selves with a weapon "WOULD YOU COMMIT THE CRIME" ??? ... as a crimial of course.

LOL... If they could find my gun under my bed and beat me to it then I guess they would deserve to use it against me! ... cause I was too stupid to let them enter my room and pull out my gun, load it, that is after they found my secrectly located box of #4's... then shoot me! :eek::confused:

Zrrr.. I know your trying to make a point here , but i'm not a complete imcompatent? I never said the gun was loaded?

Would I committ the crime.....guess it depends on what the reward is. Bigger the reward, the bigger risk a criminal will likely take. You got something your hiding that I should know about Scott???:)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A room full of armed people is a room full of very polite people.

I compete in Cowboy Mounted Shooting and have learned a number of things about the "old west" over the years. The ol' high noon call out happened like less than 5 times that can be reasonably accounted.

Reasonable & responsible people will always prevail provided they don't surrender to the evil before them. The US Constitution allows for zero gun control by the federal government. However, it then falls to the 50 states (not 57 states Obama thinks we have, that's 57 Islamic states organization he's thinking of). Each US state can make it's laws. The Citizens of a given state have a LOT more access to a state/local representatives and can effect or stop change much more readily.

To answer your question directly, yes, it means zero gun control, but that requires a society with individual responsibility. That's pretty hard to find in this age of abdication of responsibility.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful comment. So maybe it's time to look at the cause and correct it instead of being reactionary and making it worse. It's society and governements that allowed people to not accept responsibility. You have the power to change that....one way is by example, not by a gun.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread indeed, and I usually prefer these kinds of debates over a few beers. Everyones opinion is valid. However these debates can go on forever, especially in forums such as this one, with no end in site. As much as I would like to continue this debate, I am going to respectfully withdraw.

I have a sled to work on............

BeefRockmore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
BeefRockmore.com
If criminals cared about the odds or ramificatins they would not committ the cime. You basically agreed with my statement that they will committ the crime regardless if you have a gun or not. Your afraid and have everything to lose, they are motivated and have mothing to lose, who do you think stands a better chance at winning that gun battle.

The criminals do care. It's a gamble of risk vs. reward. They're playing the odds as they see it. There is no arguing that.

I never agreed with your statement... there's several periods just to make the point.

Who said I am afraid? Who said I have everything to lose?

Standing a chance at at gun battle? I am confident.

I DARE you to break into my house. Who do you think will be left standing?

BeefRockmore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
BeefRockmore.com
Beautiful comment. So maybe it's time to look at the cause and correct it instead of being reactionary and making it worse. It's society and governements that allowed people to not accept responsibility. You have the power to change that....one way is by example, not by a gun.

Cause? of what? It would seem the freedom of the people is a problem to be dealt with.

The only people promoting abdication of responsibility is liberals who want gun control... I must say you seem to fall into that category.

Conservatives and legal gun owners DO work to live by example. Liberal scum works to undermine the integrity of society.

BeefRockmore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
BeefRockmore.com
This is an interesting thread indeed, and I usually prefer these kinds of debates over a few beers. Everyones opinion is valid. However these debates can go on forever, especially in forums such as this one, with no end in site. As much as I would like to continue this debate, I am going to respectfully withdraw.

This is generally true, because arguing with a liberal is akin to wrestling with a pig. No matter what, the pig has fun and you get covered in its crap.

Fin.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cause? of what? It would seem the freedom of the people is a problem to be dealt with.

The only people promoting abdication of responsibility is liberals who want gun control... I must say you seem to fall into that category.

Conservatives and legal gun owners DO work to live by example. Liberal scum works to undermine the integrity of society.

Aaaannnnnd the personal attacks begin.......I notice you didn't address the patriot act, the biggest insult to the constitution that has ever been written, but I guess if it doesn't curtail your right to bear arms it doesn't matter.....

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would I committ the crime.....guess it depends on what the reward is. Bigger the reward, the bigger risk a criminal will likely take. You got something your hiding that I should know about Scott???:)

LOL... No, nothing here worth risking your life for! If someone broke into my place searchin for treasure they be sorely dissapointed. :d:d

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with ya ZRrrr. I too have said all I can. You made some very valid points :) Enjoy workin on your sled!

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone who is in favor of being able to pack, whether concealed or not, would endorse everyone being able to pack. As it is anyone who is looking to get a firearms license is subject to a criminal record check, references, etc. This does not mean that every whack job is stopped from getting a license and so any similar measures would not stop every whack job from getting a carry permit either. No system is perfect.

It currently is in the laws in Canada to allow carry but the Chief Firearms Officers do not grant very many permits.

The bottom line is that the trouble makers that would be carrying under less strict regulation are the ones that are currently packing under strict regulation.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, great thread with good points for both arguments. I was going to suggest if we are able to pack firearms, make them visible like in Texas. but Beef raises the good point of having it taken from you as well.

I'm not in an area where guns are a big worry, most are blasted with long rifles up here and usually at private residences. other than holidaying outside of Canuckville, I have never felt the need or desire to carry. I too miss the days where squaring off outside the bar was the way things were settled, but those days are long gone....everyone is tough when packing a knife, or knowing their buddy is. I see sh!t going down now, I go the other way....I owe that to my family.

my joint is protected by 3 friendly large dogs that bark at anything that moves. if a bad guy gets past them with crime on the mind, he will leave my property leaking fluid.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o.k. I did not read the last 2 pages but who heard about the shooting in Chestermere 2 nights ago?

well I heard 5 gun shots at around midnite that nite and I was like thats not gun fire, well it was. I looked in the exact direction of that 20 year old beeing shot on his door step and figured ahhh something else until I see the news the next day and my heart pumped, it was less than 1000 metres away where I walk my dog daily,

so the timing of this thread for me is kinda weird, there is no great solution but I cant see myself hiding in a closet if that was any closer to me,,, at least for the most part they just kill each other, but it hits home when its that close, fawcking wanna be gansters for what,,, man it disturbs me.

BeefRockmore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
BeefRockmore.com
o.k. I did not read the last 2 pages but who heard about the shooting in Chestermere 2 nights ago?

well I heard 5 gun shots at around midnite that nite and I was like thats not gun fire, well it was. I looked in the exact direction of that 20 year old beeing shot on his door step and figured ahhh something else until I see the news the next day and my heart pumped, it was less than 1000 metres away where I walk my dog daily,

so the timing of this thread for me is kinda weird, there is no great solution but I cant see myself hiding in a closet if that was any closer to me,,, at least for the most part they just kill each other, but it hits home when its that close, fawcking wanna be gansters for what,,, man it disturbs me.

for the question of the thread...
would you rather or rather not have the legal ability to possess your own gun on your person whether at home or off your property?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

I'm having a couple beers while I read this.Does that count?:d:beer::beer::beer::d

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It's not like you live in the slums either...nice areas...who'd a thunk?

Top Bottom