Sheldon Souray traded ?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - if this was the Tampa Bay Oilers then the players would be under less criticism

Exactly - Not everyone in Tampa likes hockey - I think they should be honored to play in a city that bleeds Copper and Blue, instead of whine and cry about it. Look at Smitty - He was Mr Edmonton, he loved Edmonton. Edmonton LOVED him, he cried when he left, we cried when he left. Why don't other players attempt to take over that role?

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it is, but if I was a professional athlete, (rather than the medicore semi-pro that I once was :p ) and I had an opportunity to play for huge amounts of money, would I rather live in Edmonton, where I am dealing with cold winters, no animosity and the media on your back 24/7, or would I rather live on the beach somewhere, that winter does not exist and people are more interested in pop stars.

There are those few players who want to be hero's, who want to lead, and who are willing to play in the city they cheered for when they played Pee'wee. But most want to take the easy road, make the big cash and get as much out of is as they can.

I grew up on the East Coast, you had a handfull of teams to cheer for, Montreal, but who likes them? Boston, because they were the closest other team, and the winners - Edmonton. I have stuck by being an Oil fan ever since. If Edmonton hadn't been the winners when I was a kid then it would have been someone else.

Winning does create a fan base, winning does make it easier to want to play in a particular city. Of the expansion teams who don't win a lot of games, how many people want to play in those cities? How many fans do they really have? Obviously not enough to want to pay $65 a ticket to go to games when you could get a Florida 3 game pack for $18 two years ago, or Phenoix having by one get one free tickets.

I think Hall is far from being the hero of this team, or the team to come for many seasons if ever. The best leader on any team is the guy who can go out and get the job done and be an example to the other players. Hall won't be producing 50 goal seasons anytime soon. Horcoff, well, we know what to expect with him. Bring Smytty back? Heard ramblings of it, but I doubt it would happen.

Edmonton would be better off to buy a leader. Iginla has had some sub par seasons in Calgary, not that Calgary would let him go, but there is no one on the Oil roster who fits the role like he does.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it is, but if I was a professional athlete, (rather than the medicore semi-pro that I once was :p ) and I had an opportunity to play for huge amounts of money, would I rather live in Edmonton, where I am dealing with cold winters, no animosity and the media on your back 24/7, or would I rather live on the beach somewhere, that winter does not exist and people are more interested in pop stars.

There are those few players who want to be hero's, who want to lead, and who are willing to play in the city they cheered for when they played Pee'wee. But most want to take the easy road, make the big cash and get as much out of is as they can.

I grew up on the East Coast, you had a handfull of teams to cheer for, Montreal, but who likes them? Boston, because they were the closest other team, and the winners - Edmonton. I have stuck by being an Oil fan ever since. If Edmonton hadn't been the winners when I was a kid then it would have been someone else.

Winning does create a fan base, winning does make it easier to want to play in a particular city. Of the expansion teams who don't win a lot of games, how many people want to play in those cities? How many fans do they really have? Obviously not enough to want to pay $65 a ticket to go to games when you could get a Florida 3 game pack for $18 two years ago, or Phenoix having by one get one free tickets.

I think Hall is far from being the hero of this team, or the team to come for many seasons if ever. The best leader on any team is the guy who can go out and get the job done and be an example to the other players. Hall won't be producing 50 goal seasons anytime soon. Horcoff, well, we know what to expect with him. Bring Smytty back? Heard ramblings of it, but I doubt it would happen.

Edmonton would be better off to buy a leader. Iginla has had some sub par seasons in Calgary, not that Calgary would let him go, but there is no one on the Oil roster who fits the role like he does.

Yes I agree Hall is a great (perhaps the greatest) prospect but I hope he can survive the pressure and the expectations. He needs a older mentor to help him with the pressure like a Ryan Smyth. Great leaders attract great players( i.e good trades) . I heard rumbling that Eberle didn't get to play a few games at the end of season because the mood in the Oiler camp was too toxic. I thought it would be great to see a young prospect get some NHL experience but hopfully the bad actors have been cleaned out and someone can step up and wear the "C" to support Hall and Eberle. I am Flames fan but what happened in the Oiler camp last year - I wouldn't wish on any team. I also heard rumors that some bad blood also happened in the Flames camp as well

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with any team there is sometimes "bad blood" if the team isn't doing well. Look at the fights Vanlosers were having during practice. Calgary has a wealth of experience but walked away with nothing last season. Then to bring back players who didn't produce for another shot? That is going to be either the biggest success or the worste decission ever! It can't be inbetween.

Edmonton should be going after a guy like Patrick Sharp, but how do you lure a young, offensive leader away form the Hawks? He would likely be a 1st line center in Edmonton with a group of young talented prospects that may make the big team this season. The Sharks almost stole him away and Hawks had to try and keep him, now can they afford to? Could Edmonton offer up anything to get him? Obviously they don't want to take any huge money, How about a 1st round draft pick next year? Its safe to say Edmonton won't make the playoffs next season, Chicago could add another young talented forward next year and Edmonton could get better this year verses waiting until their youth hopefully mature into NHL players.

If you had the choice, What would you rather do? Bring in offensive leadership now, that could help build your young players into better players and maybe win more games?

Or keep building the team on the hopes your drafting and prospects all end up being 50 points or better per season players.

yes I am bored with out snow or hockey....

I wanted to add...look at the AHL/NHL players Edmonton has signed this summer...almost all are from Western Canada, if not Alberta, its a pretty good guess if these guys were going to make the big teams, they would have already, so Edmonton is beefing up the AHL sqauds to help win more games, any maybe to help develop younger players....Shawn Belle (edm), Ben Ondrus (ab), Brad Moran (bc), Alex Giroux, Rich Petiot (ab I think), Kurtis Foster, Colin Fraser (sicamous), and Jim Vandermeer (ab) will likely play some games. And many others...there is hope that players do still want to be linked to a Western Canadian team like Edmonton as well.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes I am bored with out snow or hockey....

Agreed.... I miss hockey, we almost didn't watch any last season because it seemed that every time I turned on the TV they lost. I had to stop watching. Every game I went to - the lost. I had to stop going. The hubby managed to make it to 12 ish games and he was over 500 which isn't too bad! LOL

Top Bottom