Rocky Point(Bugaboos) 2013

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cmh .says 175cm base... Iould venture its about 75cm base. There really is no early season riding up there. Hit it up in Jan.

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has ventured into rocky point or cain creek over the holidays.
just wanting to know if a trail has been made into the area
Cheers

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya we rode there on december 31. Trail in is easy. A couple trees down on the road toward the end that you have to go over/around. Trail up through the trees is great. No avalanches to go over. Snow is down up top, lots of smaller trees sticking through the snow. But had no issues hitting anything. There was probably about 1-2ft of fresh snow. there were a couple tracks in the main area but we went through some trees into another area and it was untouched. Lots of room for parking at km8 on Bugaboos road and one other spot alittle past that.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad was back in this area a few times years and years ago with the old phazers when they first came out said it was really nice playing. problem is he cant remember jack about how they got in there.
how do you get to it from radium to stage and wheres there to go in the back?
coming out the first weekend of feb and would love to try it.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad was back in this area a few times years and years ago with the old phazers when they first came out said it was really nice playing. problem is he cant remember jack about how they got in there.
how do you get to it from radium to stage and wheres there to go in the back?
coming out the first weekend of feb and would love to try it.

Go north from radium to brisco and turn west on brisco rd. Follow the road and you will come to a "Y" in the road. (can't remember the names on the signs at the intersection). take a left. At about km 8 brisco rd turns into bugaboo rd. You will park at km 8 on bugaboo rd. you will continue down the road on sled and eventually take a right. I believe there is a sign that is showing the direction to the bugaboos lodge. Just follow that sign. Eventually on your right you come to a wooden sign that I believe says rocky point recreation trail. take a right on that trail and follow it to the alpine.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is bugaboo lodge that old heli ski lodge back in there?
thanks by the way.
anyone wanna come with us any of those days while we're out?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is bugaboo lodge that old heli ski lodge back in there?
thanks by the way.
anyone wanna come with us any of those days while we're out?

yes... if you get to the cmh lodge, you have gone way too far. As for the trail to kain creek, it is the turn off before that but you better know how to cut a trail through the woods, shes pretty thick in there. :d

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant really explain it, yea just gotta know where to be in the valley. I usually crack it once a year but no one ever follows to keep the trail active. Meh more for me

Might even be enough snow to punch the waterfall and head up into RP from there.

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
As you are going up the Bugaboo FSR from the highway
you will pass Cain Creek 1st(about km20 IIRC)...it will be on your right...
go further up the Bugaboo FSR you will see RockyPoint FSR (about km35 or so ) on your right
If you end up at the CMH Bugboo Lodge (about km45 from higway)..you have gone too far
I remember being told that if you go up Cain Creek ...go all the way to the back...
you can drop into RockyPoint....BUT only under GOOD snow conditons
Haven't done Cain Creek YET...but I do enjoy Rockypoint....one day I will venture into Cain Creek and c if its possible

Attachments

• CAin Creek RockyPoint.jpg
    CAin Creek RockyPoint.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 358

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember being told that if you go up Cain Creek ...go all the way to the back...
you can drop into RockyPoint....BUT only under GOOD snow conditons
Haven't done Cain Creek YET...but I do enjoy Rockypoint....one day I will venture into Cain Creek and c if its possible

I would advise extreme caution when doing the crossover. The crossover is a class 4/5 avy chute with a 30ft cornice at the top OR you can opt. for the extreme windloaded slab break slope. Have fun! :d

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been there in a couple of years, but we took a 2 place enclosed in and had to disconnect it to turn around it was tight. I would suggest a sled deck. Also one of the biggest reasons most people choose not to ride there is all the avy chutes you need to cross getting in there. It's a nice area if you know exactly where your going it took us 2 days to figure it out and when we finally got in there the snow was completely wind blown we thought we would do some tree riding but found the trees way to tight. I could see it being a decent area to ride after a fresh snow fall and if the wind doesn't blow it away. I spoke to a few locals in the area and they said its really hit and miss with the snow there and really warned us about the avy situation. So if your going to try getting in please be careful and good luck!.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At km 8 there is plenty of room to turn around. There is a pull out on the side of the road and also a T in the road right there. Pull into the other road and get turned around and park in the pull out.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking we are going to head into Rocky Point tomorrow. Heading up with a 4 place enclosed so just wanted to post in case there were issues with a good size trailer on the road. Never been in before but looking forward to some new terrain. Anybody in last weekend?

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we went in today. Wouldn't recommend taking a trailer, or even a truck, past the FSR/Westside Rd junction. We went 2k and backed all the way out. Another group was not as lucky and was stuck at about 5k with 3 trucks and trailers. Long ride in and pretty bumpy for the last 15km. Would be a nice area with some snow but I won't be running back anytime soon.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we went in today. Wouldn't recommend taking a trailer, or even a truck, past the FSR/Westside Rd junction. We went 2k and backed all the way out. Another group was not as lucky and was stuck at about 5k with 3 trucks and trailers. Long ride in and pretty bumpy for the last 15km. Would be a nice area with some snow but I won't be running back anytime soon.

You need to go to km 8. lots of room there for trailers and to turn around. Was there any new snow? Heading out this weekend for 5 days and will be riding there for 1 of those days.

Top Bottom