Richardson back country

springer

Reaction score
Anyone tour the Richardson back country lately, looking for some information on the camping situation at Release or Barber. Missed last year due to fire, hope we have a good summer this year.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far so good from what I've been hearing, my brother has been up to six lakes with no issues. My folks are heading up soon they've been up every summer for the last twenty years minus last year of course, so I'll know more when they get back.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
lol the forum says NE Alberta. Its north of Fort Mac where the all season road ends and the winter road to Fort Chip starts to begin with anyways. then keep heading north to the 6 lakes

springer

Reaction score
NIce to hear there are still some originals going up to the Richardson country. My first trip in that country was in 1988 and Herb lake was a long ways in but always had a great time.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been going up there for nearly 17 years i think?? camping up there for closer to 12-14 though :) Stage area was the three hills first security shack.. i know i know it used to be much farther back than that even but still consider myself a seasoned richardson backcountry-er. Always stay in the six lakes campground though, kinda middle of the lakes and closest to the dunes.

springer

Reaction score
You may have been there when we built the registration booth just past the firebag.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly? I remember it being new.. not sure if I can remember it not being there lol I've helped build/fix docks & bridges though. We usually liked to try to pick up projects like that when up there on our longer 10day stretches. Besides the usual trail road and campground cleanup we would do while there. Its terrible and irresponsible the mess that gets left behind sometimes. Boats, quads, trailers, bbqs, and the list goes on. Either way though its still one of the most beautiful and fun places. So many great memories and a sense of belonging and inner peace/happiness/excitement when you ride across some of those ridges <3 Hope to get there sooner than later!

springer

Reaction score
It is nice to hear there are still some volunteers helping in cleaning up the mess left behind by unconsiderate visitors. Since moving out of McMurray, we only go up once a year and like you mention I do think it is one of the most beartifull places to camp, fish and tour the country. Wish you a good season and am looking forward to our trip into the Richardson's. If you come accross any info on Release or Barber campsite, would be welcomed. Never fished Barber but looking to fish it someday and hope to catch some walleye for a shore lunch.

springer

Reaction score
heading up to Richardson back country next week. Anyone been up there lately. Hoping to fish Barber lake, any walleye in Barber.

Top Bottom