Hip replacement

ozzy

Reaction score
Anyone on here have experience with paying to get a hip replacement done. Either in country or out of country. I’m needing it done and probably looking at at least 2-3 years with our s##$ty health care system. I’ve looked into Ontario, Mexico & Lithuania hoping someone on here has some experience.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here have experience with paying to get a hip replacement done. Either in country or out of country. I’m needing it done and probably looking at at least 2-3 years with our s##$ty health care system. I’ve looked into Ontario, Mexico & Lithuania hoping someone on here has some experience.

maybe worth looking into I recall Joe saying his mother needed a hip they did stem cells instead and she is good as new

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check this out https://www.timelymedical.ca/

My wife went thru them to have knee replacement Only took a few weeks to get it scheduled. Can't say enough about how good the experience was with Dr Kassman at Ortho Arizona. We returned seven months later and had her other knee done.
Quality of life vs. waiting for the health system it was an easy decision.

Mean while it has been three years and still waiting for the consult for the first one in Alberta. Alberta Health is nfg.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine last year had one done somewhere in Arizona, $40G, was a 2 month wait. Just had his other one done in Ontario, not sure if there was a cost to him, was a 6 month wait.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife KB had her hip replaced here in BC, at UBC in Vancouver. In and out the next day as they do not have much for rooms, plus the drive to the Okanagan.
It took about 8month from diagnoses to surgery. If it would had been at the local hospital level it would had been much longer wait.
Surgery was Oct.28 and she was sledding by end of January.
Getting it done by a university may be an avenue to look into. Hip replacement is a walk in the park today, simple.
BTW, covered by medical, no cost to us.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8FCE6F8E-5E34-4312-913F-B71E74BD0BCC.jpeg

Had a good friend go to polland and get his hip done, 8k Canadian, was going to get my knee done with him but looks like i am getting it here

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of you looking for a hip replacement try to have the 'Birmingham replacement'. I had I done in 2006. It will last much longer than the other procedures.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to add is try to strengthen the muscles around the hip area. IMO and experience I found recovery quicker and easier. It hard when your in pain but just try to make it a little stronger

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My doctor also made the incision with the muscle fibers Instead of across the fibers which heal up better and quicker. Not sure if all doctors do this but it would be a good question to ask.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just watching an episode of show "Trapping Inc" on TV. Season 9, episode 8. Near the start of the episode the guy talks about his hip replacement. I can't find that episode online for you. He basically said he told the doctor he wanted replacement right away - whereas doctors wanted to do a bunch of chemicals and treatments for like 6 years before a replacement. Apparently they listened to him, they did it within a month, and he's happy with it.

I think they talk about it as well on this 'podcast' episode:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a friend of ours finally give up
On getting her hip replaced in Alberta so had it done in Toronto. It was $26,000 and they paid $3000 for first class so she had more room to relax on way home. It was a nightmare as she stayed in the hospital one night and then they kicked her out the next day and was very nauseous for the flight home and puked in a garbage bag on the plane a couple times. It took her 6 months to recover and she is in very good shape and exercises every day. She was hoping to get back curling and playing pickle ball but has resigned herself to the fact that won’t be happening. She is pretty down about the outcome even though she has no more pain her range of motion is horrible. She has now put her name in for the other hip to be done but going to get it done in Alberta because she isn’t in as much pain as she was for the first.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Oh Boy!
Here I sit at home from coming from a MRI yesterday in Edmonton (Which I had to pay for cash) as no luck getting for one before March at the earliest? And that not even a promised date.
Fun trip in a truck both ways for that long and sitting in a hotel chair all night.

Little background, I had disc operation in 1990 for a herniation on L5-S1 which has been at best pretty successful.
But here we go again.
I do not remember falling, twisting or and real trauma other than wood cutting for the season.
Well lots, a logging truck cut, split and stacked in sheds. Maybe to much exercise. for an old ch!t like me, lol!
For the last 6 weeks now, I have been suffering with very severe R/H muscle aches, but pain, shooting pain like electricity hitting body. Sciatic pain again (pretty much debilitating).
Living in a $3000 dollar lift chair we purchased as getting in and out of bed is out of the question.
Little to no sleep, 1/2 hour at best in short spurts when pain meds are taken.
Pain killers, anti inflammatory, Aleve, aspirin, and extra strength Tylenol muscle and back.
Meds give some relief when initially taken but the pain and aching is constant and unreal. (Unbearable actually). CBD oils etc....Topical creams, hot and cold rubs, Believe it or not? Vicks vapor rub massage on painful areas has seemed to help the most (worth a try for some).

Hip x-rays showed nothing last week, as I felt the most severe pain was in hip area and joint and Dr wanted those done.
I was not waiting around for MRI some months away. Way to much pain.
Paid for my own MRI in Edmonton...And review with Dr. for findings hopefully Friday.

I really think I may have severely damaged muscle and really bad pinched nerves in groin, buttocks', or leg.
Doctor does not think so, so I can only got with his findings.
I am an electrician and not a Doctor (I am not even a goggle Doctor) and that is why I can explain a "SHOCKING" feeling of pain, had that many times. LOL!

I read this whole thread and have no real hope in our health care system either.
I guess if a person is not in severe distress and can tolerate some pain and wait, go with the health care system.
I have researched and will go to any private medical clinic at my cost if required as I cannot handle this pain and can get dealt with in a timely fashion. I realize this is costly and not for everybody, but its either spend some retirement savings or have no quality of life me.
I am choosing the quality of life....
I would not wish this pain on anybody.

Last thing of note: I have been on a list for knee replacement for over a year and a half. The backlog is very long. There blaming on something that happened over the last few years......(Nope, I am not saying it, I not getting banned, LOL)!

There might be spelling errors but that's the drugs. Yup, the drugs I say!
Good luck everyone and speedy recovery.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year my granddaughters mom paid to have her hip done in Quebec, i do not know how much it costs or where it was done in Quebec but she bypassed all the waiting time.. she is walking fine on it now. They are in Mexico right now for 6 months or so.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh Boy!
Here I sit at home from coming from a MRI yesterday in Edmonton (Which I had to pay for cash) as no luck getting for one before March at the earliest? And that not even a promised date.
Fun trip in a truck both ways for that long and sitting in a hotel chair all night.

Little background, I had disc operation in 1990 for a herniation on L5-S1 which has been at best pretty successful.
But here we go again.
I do not remember falling, twisting or and real trauma other than wood cutting for the season.
Well lots, a logging truck cut, split and stacked in sheds. Maybe to much exercise. for an old ch!t like me, lol!
For the last 6 weeks now, I have been suffering with very severe R/H muscle aches, but pain, shooting pain like electricity hitting body. Sciatic pain again (pretty much debilitating).
Living in a $3000 dollar lift chair we purchased as getting in and out of bed is out of the question.
Little to no sleep, 1/2 hour at best in short spurts when pain meds are taken.
Pain killers, anti inflammatory, Aleve, aspirin, and extra strength Tylenol muscle and back.
Meds give some relief when initially taken but the pain and aching is constant and unreal. (Unbearable actually). CBD oils etc....Topical creams, hot and cold rubs, Believe it or not? Vicks vapor rub massage on painful areas has seemed to help the most (worth a try for some).

Hip x-rays showed nothing last week, as I felt the most severe pain was in hip area and joint and Dr wanted those done.
I was not waiting around for MRI some months away. Way to much pain.
Paid for my own MRI in Edmonton...And review with Dr. for findings hopefully Friday.

I really think I may have severely damaged muscle and really bad pinched nerves in groin, buttocks', or leg.
Doctor does not think so, so I can only got with his findings.
I am an electrician and not a Doctor (I am not even a goggle Doctor) and that is why I can explain a "SHOCKING" feeling of pain, had that many times. LOL!

I read this whole thread and have no real hope in our health care system either.
I guess if a person is not in severe distress and can tolerate some pain and wait, go with the health care system.
I have researched and will go to any private medical clinic at my cost if required as I cannot handle this pain and can get dealt with in a timely fashion. I realize this is costly and not for everybody, but its either spend some retirement savings or have no quality of life me.
I am choosing the quality of life....
I would not wish this pain on anybody.

Last thing of note: I have been on a list for knee replacement for over a year and a half. The backlog is very long. There blaming on something that happened over the last few years......(Nope, I am not saying it, I not getting banned, LOL)!

There might be spelling errors but that's the drugs. Yup, the drugs I say!
Good luck everyone and speedy recovery.
Good luck Richard. Hope to see you on the snow this year if things go right for you

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quebec and Ontario are options in Canada for private surgery. For some reason you are not allowed to pay for care in your own province and since nothing good has ever come out of Ontario or Quebec we chose Arizona. It was worth it. A knee was about 21K

Doc told me a set of hips would be about the same as a new car. A nice car.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Quebec and Ontario are options in Canada for private surgery. For some reason you are not allowed to pay for care in your own province and since nothing good has ever come out of Ontario or Quebec we chose Arizona. It was worth it. A knee was about 21K

Doc told me a set of hips would be about the same as a new car. A nice car.
why not in your own province?
That makes no sense?
Update: Thanks for info. Looked it up.....Goood to know but not a show stopper.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is off to Lithuania for hip surgery. Apparently a number of Canadians have had it done over there with great success. High quality and apparently a much better price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom