Revelstoke Boulder Mountain/ Frisby Ridge Radio Question

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Yes, the VHF radios can be programed to talk with Non VHF. But you will need to do o a little research to find what the actual frequency of the channel is. you can't just put in 15-5 ect. it will be 158.925 (or whatever)

This info may be helpful to someone and save some searching time.

did a quick search found information on different FRS / GMRS frequencies:

Link to BCA manual containing channel frequencies:

Link to British Columbia weather channels:
https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=770985EF-1

Link to a lot of info and files with frequencies in British Columbia:

Obviously anyone should follow the applicable laws and guidelines for using Radio's.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Beofung VHF radios. Gives you the ability of good distance, communicate with emergency if you had to (granted a crap shoot you could reach them, but possible (IE RCMP, Helicopter companies, logging trucks etc.. pre-programmed into the radio)

Can a VHF radio be tuned to a BCA radio ? other GMRS Motorolla / Cobra radio's ?

Radio:

Handfree with PTT mic:
Retevis Radio Earpiece 2 Pin PTT MIC Covert Acoustic Tube In-ear Air Acoustic Headset for Kenwood PUXING Baofeng UV-5R UV-5RA 888S Retevis H777: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Extra battery:
Baofeng Original UV-5R Two-Way Radio Battery: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Programming cable to make programming super easy:
USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/666S/777S/888S Walkie Talkie Radio: Amazon.ca: Electronics

FRS/gmrs do not use VHF frequency. Most of the Baofeng are dual band and have UHF which is what FRS/GMRS use.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been a Rino fan for many years 110, 120 and now a 650. Leave on 6.9....this was the old Snowest gang preferred frequency that seems to have stuck....

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a very good question and one I brought up when I first bought my BCA radios. Got a different frequency from everyone I asked. I would like to see a frequency sign at all major riding areas or at least get a standard frequency that is used. Kinda like how all the truckers us either channel 1 or channel 19 in their big rigs.

I am thinking about leaving a sign in my truck window that says what channel I will be on. This way if I do not return to the truck they know what channel i'm on.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a very good question and one I brought up when I first bought my BCA radios. Got a different frequency from everyone I asked. I would like to see a frequency sign at all major riding areas or at least get a standard frequency that is monitored. Kinda like how all the truckers us either channel 1 or channel 19 in their big rigs.

I am thinking about leaving a sign in my truck window that says what channel I will be on. This way if I do not return to the truck they know what channel i'm on.

It seems Channel 20 is a unofficial emergency channel. Maybe we need to make that a standard for sledders if you are lost

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personaly think its a great idea to leave a card on your dash, with you groups radio channel. If they are searching for you they have your channel, I would work good if there was a common channel that was posted in the stageing area, if you were lost from your group or out of range, you could monitor the other channel for other riders in the area. We have been using the rhino's for several years, i still keep an old 120 as a back up to our 650t's if you dont use the or need the gps i have put it in my pack an used the mic on my shoulder strap similarly to the BCA.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem I see with this, is not every one uses these radios. Some uses non programable radios (Motorolas or kenwoods) and only have a certain number of channels. I personally run dual band programable radios (6 total). Give me the frequency and I can punch it into the radio. I believe the BCA radios to be a good unit. I just prefer being able to access all channels when driving up radio controlled roads.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem I see with this, is not every one uses these radios. Some uses non programable radios (Motorolas or kenwoods) and only have a certain number of channels. I personally run dual band programable radios (6 total). Give me the frequency and I can punch it into the radio. I believe the BCA radios to be a good unit. I just prefer being able to access all channels when driving up radio controlled roads.

[h=2]You can get a BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band for as low as 27 bucks US that has 128 programmable channels.[/h]

2blue

Reaction score
Maybe each mountain is on 1 channel? Its hard because some people just want to talk etc. Maybe just leave my radio on scan.

Top Bottom