Revelstoke Boulder Mountain/ Frisby Ridge Radio Question

2blue

Reaction score
Which channel do you guys have your walkie talkies on?

I usually ride with someone and we both have it on channel #1

Attachments

• motorola-walke-talke-krotkofalowka-k7-gem1000-2396654748.jpg
    motorola-walke-talke-krotkofalowka-k7-gem1000-2396654748.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 531

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6-9 or 6-1 has the widest range our group finds. Ride both of those mountains all year long.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good radios in pic but should invest in a couple bca radios. Durable waterproof and the lapalle mic clips to backpack strap and is very loud and clear. Don't have to dig for radio every time you wanna use it. You can hear anybody radioing you while you are riding. My two cents.

2blue

Reaction score
Total Newbie here, when you say 6-9 or 6-1 my radio just has channels 1-9 so are you talking about putting it on scan? and letting it go through the channels? Thanks

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our radios are 5W so we run on the higher channels to utilize the extra wattage, that being said, we tend to find a channel that doesn't have any traffic on it so that we can communicate with each other and not have to worry about getting walked on by other users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Total Newbie here, when you say 6-9 or 6-1 my radio just has channels 1-9 so are you talking about putting it on scan? and letting it go through the channels? Thanks

Most radios that I know of have sub channels.... So it it channels 1-9 on yours, and then there should be sub channels.... Check the owners manual?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most radios that I know of have sub channels.... So it it channels 1-9 on yours, and then there should be sub channels.... Check the owners manual?

Not really sub channels, it is the same frequency just there is a tone associated with the subs that only turn on your receiver if you have it on that sub.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price of a BCA you can get a vhf radio with 7-8 watts that can use the logging road channels and are capable of using a repeater. You can also use the FRS and GMRS frequencies. I wonder if there is any desire for the bigger clubs to put up a repeater that would cover most of there riding areas. It would be a big safety addition.

aocbiz

Reaction score
In referring to the sub channels, you will see a smaller number below the big number on the display.
That is the sub channel that the guys are referring too.
Just take a closer look at your display to see if your radios have it, I suspect they do.
The radios you have work well, but the ones the guys are referring to are better all around radios.

Marmot MB

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Beofung VHF radios. Gives you the ability of good distance, communicate with emergency if you had to (granted a crap shoot you could reach them, but possible (IE RCMP, Helicopter companies, logging trucks etc.. pre-programmed into the radio)

Can a VHF radio be tuned to a BCA radio ? other GMRS Motorolla / Cobra radio's ?

Radio:

Handfree with PTT mic:
Retevis Radio Earpiece 2 Pin PTT MIC Covert Acoustic Tube In-ear Air Acoustic Headset for Kenwood PUXING Baofeng UV-5R UV-5RA 888S Retevis H777: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Extra battery:
Baofeng Original UV-5R Two-Way Radio Battery: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Programming cable to make programming super easy:
USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/666S/777S/888S Walkie Talkie Radio: Amazon.ca: Electronics

2blue

Reaction score
Ok so here's the thing, if all the riders are on different channels and your in trouble then what? Call help on each channel???

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's the thing, if all the riders are on different channels and your in trouble then what? Call help on each channel???

I I run a rino 650 if I was ever in trouble and couldn't get ahold of my guys I would send location to my group and put radio on scan. That way when they update they know my location (I can sent txt message on radio as well) and the scan would give me a chance to get ahold of anyone close.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3-0, 3-1, 6-9 are common channels up there. Ad if your riding WITH a group, you sync all your radios to same Chanel at start of ride
If need be, then yes. But

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I would have loved to buy a Rino 650 (x2), but it was cost prohibitive, were as most in our group could afford the BCA.I guess it all boils down to what you can to spend. That said, I do like the BCA.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Beofung VHF radios. Gives you the ability of good distance, communicate with emergency if you had to (granted a crap shoot you could reach them, but possible (IE RCMP, Helicopter companies, logging trucks etc.. pre-programmed into the radio)

Can a VHF radio be tuned to a BCA radio ? other GMRS Motorolla / Cobra radio's ?

Radio:

Handfree with PTT mic:
Retevis Radio Earpiece 2 Pin PTT MIC Covert Acoustic Tube In-ear Air Acoustic Headset for Kenwood PUXING Baofeng UV-5R UV-5RA 888S Retevis H777: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Extra battery:
Baofeng Original UV-5R Two-Way Radio Battery: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Programming cable to make programming super easy:
USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/666S/777S/888S Walkie Talkie Radio: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Yes, the VHF radios can be programed to talk with Non VHF. But you will need to do o a little research to find what the actual frequency of the channel is. you can't just put in 15-5 ect. it will be 158.925 (or whatever)

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have loved to buy a Rino 650 (x2), but it was cost prohibitive, were as most in our group could afford the BCA.I guess it all boils down to what you can to spend. That said, I do like the BCA.

Your MasterCard would come out pretty quick if you/someone in your group got lost. Well worth the investment bud I use mine for more then sledding to your getting a gps unit to; hunting, hiking, quading, biking, you name it, it never hurts to have a reliable gps out in the bush.

Knowing where some one is stuck/hurt with out a doubt is priceless man. Kicks the hell out of the old ride 50ft yell ride 50ft yell and hope your following the right track method.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radio's are great but personally the Garmin Rino is the best. The GPS and buddy locator is priceless at times. We have found people stuck or just turned around in minutes, instead of sometimes hours we used to spend searching.

I'm a fan of the Rino, other than the built in mic is hot garbage on those units. I went through one under warranty and the second one flamed out shortly after warranty was up. That was on a 530. I need to buy an external mic for it, so I've just been carrying my trusty old Motorola FRS with me the last number of rides.

Top Bottom