Reliability of a turbo

zonker892

Reaction score
When you put a turbo on a sled does it become unreliable? Is there such thing as a turbo kit that keeps the reliability of a stock sled?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it can be just as reliable just requires more preventative maintenance.

maybe pistons and rings every 3000km rather than 5-6000

really depends what kind of kit. pump or race. turbos arent indestructable either so making sure they are healthy is important.

wit the sleds i have seen go this year race or race mix is the only way to go if you want the full experience

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you put a turbo on a sled does it become unreliable? Is there such thing as a turbo kit that keeps the reliability of a stock sled?

Any time you mod something you lose realiability. The sled was built a certain way for a reason. If it was ment to have a turbo they'd put one on at factory! Of course it can be done and is super cool when it is :)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time you mod something you lose realiability. The sled was built a certain way for a reason. If it was ment to have a turbo they'd put one on at factory! Of course it can be done and is super cool when it is :)

He's right.

A general engine is designed to work as a package. When you push that package to develope more HP, parts that were designed with a certain safety factor have now changed the factor or gotten rid of it all together. More stress = more likely hood of something breaking.

That being said, the 4-strokes are reporting decent returns on turbo'd sleds. I myself, would never turbo a 2-stroke unless done correctly. Most kids aren't done right.

All considered, I like my stock sled. I have buddies who have turbo's and super chargers and I would settle for a good performing and running stock sled.

Turbofreak

Reaction score
I've ran and owned two diff turbo sleds, both two-strokes. What I can tell you from experience and not opinion is you sacrifice reliability, ease of maintenance for non-stop checkovers, routine maintenance, fresh top-ends, reeds, and expensive fuel. What you do get with that headache is a wow factor that is unreal, the ability to climb higher than you ever thought you could and smile from ear to ear when your out with your buddies on that blue bird day.

So really it all depends if you want to spend the dough for the passion cause there is nothing like it or simply have that MORE reliable sled in a stocker or slight mod.

Like others have said, ill say again...although you can make a turbo reliable as a turbo can be, it will never be as trouble free as a stock sled.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a gamble I took and am happy I did, have had 2 turbo'd 2 stroke sleds
and both are awsome my first one is still running good and the guy I sold it too is thrilled with it. Can it break down......of course any 2 stroke is a gamble in my book. Fun factor.......priceless
buy a good kit that is proven and should have less issues.

Turbofreak

Reaction score
I know this is off topic but anybody with a boondocker kit, pump or race, 09/10....the best $550 you can spend to compliment your kit is their turbo -pipe. The spool time greatly decreases, it looks great with the signature stamp with pipe #, ceramic coated, you get that pipey sound back, and you save a couple pounds. On the 09's you gain 10-15 top end hp's to boot!

summitxrs

Reaction score
I have a question about turbo's, I want to buy a Nytro and put on a 10-15 psi turbo with all of the fixin's. I want to rule the hills in revelstoke, but still come back to saskatchewan and riding with my friends. Can a turbo be tuned for the altitude like revy (4500ft) and still be able to run at home (1850ft) with no problems?

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats one of the major advantages of a turbo is that if your running 15lbs of boost for example, elevation doesnt effect you under boost, it only effects you for a second before your at boost, because you dont have to worry about the change in air pressure because you always have 15lbs.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbofreak.....now what you had said right there was perfectly spoken. That's the kind of advice people like to see. Very well said, and that is the kind of thing I have been looking for, most people I have ridden with don't use their sled to the max. Which really disappoints me, and leaves me to think that it's all they got, so what's the point. Now speaking about reliability....what is the preference for turbo kits, what is the price range?? Does a guy go with a doo, or an M8?? Burandt also swore by the M8 stating it was the most ridiculous sled he ever rode for power....now Polaris offered him a substantial amount of money and he's running their sleds, but whatever. You just don't see that many doo's that are turbo'd. I was told by someone on here that a place in Salmon Arm does it????? ALSO....do I have to make changes to a turbo'd sled when riding in 2000' elev. compared to 3500 - 10000' elev.

The only thing I don't like is the constant tinkering, when I go to ride...I want to ride...tinkering to me is for the shop. Thanks for the help. Good luck on your choices.

I've ran and owned two diff turbo sleds, both two-strokes. What I can tell you from experience and not opinion is you sacrifice reliability, ease of maintenance for non-stop checkovers, routine maintenance, fresh top-ends, reeds, and expensive fuel. What you do get with that headache is a wow factor that is unreal, the ability to climb higher than you ever thought you could and smile from ear to ear when your out with your buddies on that blue bird day.

So really it all depends if you want to spend the dough for the passion cause there is nothing like it or simply have that MORE reliable sled in a stocker or slight mod.

Like others have said, ill say again...although you can make a turbo reliable as a turbo can be, it will never be as trouble free as a stock sled.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 800 dragon bd turbo kit 12 lbs boost 2700miles on the sled 1700 miles with boost. i dont even have to open my hood. the key is good fuel (AV GAS)and you need to be as smart as your turbo but when the set up is done and good just ride!!!! The BD kits work well I have installed 3 so far with good luck.

Chris

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbofreak.....now what you had said right there was perfectly spoken. That's the kind of advice people like to see. Very well said, and that is the kind of thing I have been looking for, most people I have ridden with don't use their sled to the max. Which really disappoints me, and leaves me to think that it's all they got, so what's the point. Now speaking about reliability....what is the preference for turbo kits, what is the price range?? Does a guy go with a doo, or an M8?? Burandt also swore by the M8 stating it was the most ridiculous sled he ever rode for power....now Polaris offered him a substantial amount of money and he's running their sleds, but whatever. You just don't see that many doo's that are turbo'd. I was told by someone on here that a place in Salmon Arm does it????? ALSO....do I have to make changes to a turbo'd sled when riding in 2000' elev. compared to 3500 - 10000' elev.

The only thing I don't like is the constant tinkering, when I go to ride...I want to ride...tinkering to me is for the shop. Thanks for the help. Good luck on your choices.

Depends on the sled IMO. Doo's are carbed so this is why you don't see a lot of them, too hard to tune, you will spend lots of time under the hood. Some guys are making it work but not like the Cats and Poo's. Cats and Polaris are fuel injected so easier to set up but lots of guys still spend all day playing with the fuel controller for different elevations and temps, even if they never actually open the hood. So does the Yammy crowd. There's probably 25% of the turbo crowd that never opens their hood, their setup is pretty good so they leave it alone. The other 75% do spend some time tinkering, all in different amounts. You will always have the 25% that tinker all the time just to get more power or because they want to. If you are running a full race gas setup at 16+lbs of boost then expect more maintenance than at 6 lbs of boost on pump gas.

All turbo's require setup and more than average maintenance, even if you get a good one like Chrisco, they still require more than average maintenance, even if it is just back at the shop or driving to buy av gas or race fuel, you can't just stop at the pump (well you can, but depends on the kit you choose) so there is nore of a time committment. Its up to you to determine if its worth it, a lot of guys just want to ride.

Turbofreak

Reaction score
Well said Modman... Doohead when it comes to boost and elevation its like this.

You can run a turbo to whatever psi is "safe" for your set-up ie. octane, intercooler, fuel supply.

Now when it comes to elevation here's the thing...say you have your sled set-up for 8lbs at 4500ft, things are good sled is snappy. Now all of sudden your headed to Renshaw and after your 30km ride your at 6500ft and your boost gauge is reading 6.8lbs and your thinking wtf right? This is because altitude and atmospheric pressure affects a turbo just like a carb despite what people think. Then unless you have say an electronic boost controller or a controller with altitude compensation that will increase boost as you go-up by means of a solenid, your gonna have to make adjustments to make the same power and without pre-loaded fuel maps, well, that involves adjusting too. After 5000ft you lose .5 psi per 1000ft increase on average.

So now when you get back to flatland, say 1000ft you need about 4psi to make the same power you were making at 7000ft on 8psi because the pressence of oxygen is alot higher and forced induction now requires higher octane to be safe from detonation. This too requires adding a bit more fuel on your controller than what you might be runnin at 7000ft.

Basically you can ride anywhere you want, low or high but your set-up has to able to adjust like that and good fuel is key or else..........ka boooom!

Lol, I'm not even gonna get into clutching, hope this isn't too confusing!

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys explained that good....I haven't toyed around with that kind of chit yet but look forward to it. I really want that woo factor like turbofreak says. I can only take the sled I have so far and that's it. I want to be able to pass my mark now....catwalking past it...ya man...that would be awesome. I get the whole flying up the hill...smiling ear to ear...cutting through trees, & chit...wondering if your going to live through this one but it's just way to damn fun to turn around..kinda thing. Ya that's what I want but to go further, faster. Thing is now...speaking reliability. Do you buy something new, and turbo it, or buy something that is turbo'd already. Probably not unless you knew who ran it...right? I have seen some good deals come across but who knows whats up with them. One more question though...M8 or M1000. I don't want to touch the e-tec for awhile.

Turbofreak

Reaction score
Doohead bro, if it were me I would take a new platform ( you know what i mean...doesn't have to be brand new but extra power puts extra stress on other components too so think about previous abuse) and then build your turbo to the way you want it...but that's just me. Like Modman said in earlier posts you can always check out a used turbo sled's piston wash, plugs, y-pipe and it will at least give you an idea if it's been looked after, but it's a gamble no matter what. If you buy new and build new, you know it's your's...nobody else's.

M8 0r M1000?....My 2010 M8 LE is ported, polished, turbo-piped, and finished off with Boondocker's PG kit with mini-intercooler. I run 8lbs at 5500 and 10lbs at 7000ft and always burn c12 with a dash of pump. I'm a big guy 6'3" 210lbs and this thing flat out rips....skis never see snow, i dunno why anybody bothers to upgrade their skis on a turbo two-stroke...lol but anyway my point is it's a 153" but it climbs and is a hell of alot of fun in the trees. M1000's don't act quite as nimble as the little brother and you won't find anymore 153 1000's as they are all 162's now and you have amazing power potential there. If you want a sick climber that could still be negotiated through the trees with a little more rider input...that's your girl. My buddy in Plamondon has a 1200 D&D full mod and is planning on a stage 3 Twisted kit...kinda like shain stanger's, 325ish hp should do it don't ya think?

I trust boondocker's kits, but I hate their service. Twisted makes a good kit for the Litre sled but when we were PM'in the other day there your riding style sounds to be alot like mine and I think you'll be fine with the M8...210-220hp at elevation is more than enough and you get a very versatile all-around wheelie machine!

By the way, for an M8 sno pro, boondocker pg kit, venting, and proper clutching with all the extra's like a/f's egt's boost gauges yada yada yada your gonna be topping $20,000

Last edited:
Top Bottom