Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Manitoba Maple our front yard and birds are doing the same thing to it. Tress is already green...kWTF
Woodpecker hard at work.
Trees are infested with some type of bugs likely.
It's going after food.
They don't typically practice.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess no more trimming trees until I burn my pile down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190428-121541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190428-121541_Gallery.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_20190428-121530_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190428-121530_Gallery.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 213

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least they are only going into trees there. I have a few holes in my stucco from the little fawkers :mad:

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least they are only going into trees there. I have a few holes in my stucco from the little fawkers :mad:
Oh dear that would be Exterior insulation finishing system . Its tough to get rid of them because it’s easy for them to hammer through the thin layer and into the insulation. I’ve seen plastic owls used ,electronic giant spiders that are motion activated, Mylar ribbons. and the best is a pellet gun. Good luck!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh dear that would be Exterior insulation finishing system . Its tough to get rid of them because it’s easy for them to hammer through the thin layer and into the insulation. I’ve seen plastic owls used ,electronic giant spiders that are motion activated, Mylar ribbons. and the best is a pellet gun. Good luck!

I got a plastic owl last fall, seen about 5 holes. Nothing new yet this year. Yea the stucco is thin and easily damaged. Have extra will have to try my hand at patching. I don't get it, there is thousands of trees in my backyard why the fawk do they come to the house?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What bug goes that deep into the wood? Termites?

No termites in the eastern Kootenays. From my ventures hauling firewood for the last 18 years, I have noticed quite a few of these markings on various trees. They are looking for carpenter ants. The big buggers that chew their way up the inner part of the trunk. We have a few of the Pileated woodpeckers around our property from time to time and the holes/noise is very noticeable and distinctive. The trees are dying and the ants are looking for fungus, etc. to feed themselves and their larva. The Pileated woodpecker is looking for the big fat juicy ants.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I have seen them getting in behind cedar siding for flies or other insects. They have heard the buzzing of some little creature under the stucco and are figuring there is something to eat there. The flies will get behind the cedar in the fall and get active again in the spring. One incident I had with a client was pieces of insulation all over the ground and a 4" diameter hole about 12' up the wall where the insulation had been torn apart and scattered. The culprit in this case was a Flicker woodpecker. I found that hanging a CD on some fishing line (had to get it away from the siding so that it would spin) did the trick. They didn't like the reflection/movement.

Top Bottom