Random Pictures Thread

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pressure verses piston displacement in a gas engine. used by engineers to determine the performance of an engine.

You are correct sir.

I found this gauge hiding in the back of an old cabinet. The IR KVS 412's where I work would have had their firing pressure checked with this. The old girls smashed gas from an in service date of 1957 until late 2020 when they were removed from service.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone time me the English version of that.. no understando

The gauge was used to check how many PSI was in a given cylinder through the power stroke. The engines where this was used were tuned to a peak firing pressure of 740psi. Each cylinder was tuned individually to achieve engine balance. These large engines firing pressure was adjusted by changing the fuel orifice.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct sir.

I found this gauge hiding in the back of an old cabinet. The IR KVS 412's where I work would have had their firing pressure checked with this. The old girls smashed gas from an in service date of 1957 until late 2020 when they were removed from service.

I worked on a bunch of that big IR stuff, KVSR integrals are cool, common crankshaft engine/compressor.... setting the lobes on a 40' long cam shaft.... it'll be fun they said....

2 stroke V-12 you can stand inside the crank case... insert Tim Allen grunt

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked on a bunch of that big IR stuff, KVSR integrals are cool, common crankshaft engine/compressor.... setting the lobes on a 40' long cam shaft.... it'll be fun they said....

2 stroke V-12 you can stand inside the crank case... insert Tim Allen grunt

There are seven KVS 412 DT 12 cylinder engines and one KVR 8cylinder. I worked on these for 2 years straight before being moved into ops/projects. These units were replaced with two t70 solars making 11000 each.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taylor has a bunch and Balzac, they are probably all going the way of the dinosaur... turn the jets on and watch the hills flatten out...

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gauge was used to check how many PSI was in a given cylinder through the power stroke. The engines where this was used were tuned to a peak firing pressure of 740psi. Each cylinder was tuned individually to achieve engine balance. These large engines firing pressure was adjusted by changing the fuel orifice.

Worked on 7042 wakashaws, some whites, and some two stroke 12cyl (submarines motors) back in the80-90s, don’t recall ever using that gauge, but makes sense wanting them to run even..

We had big turbos on them all and tried to keep boost at 40psi I recall

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worked on 7042 wakashaws, some whites, and some two stroke 12cyl (submarines motors) back in the80-90s, don’t recall ever using that gauge, but makes sense wanting them to run even..

We had big turbos on them all and tried to keep boost at 40psi I recall

those are small compared to the IR engines

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the IR KVS
b2aee4a7963a6fa5ce2de5366fee9831.jpg

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember them being a oil leaking bittttth, and always changing plugs and coils, like every week or two

Fairbanks Morse comes to mind we had

12 cylinder submarine 2.stroke.motor

oil leaking....we refer to them as sweating when they are working hard

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in operations then, so grunt work with soaker pads all over the place swapping out ever work day I worked it seamed

Ours ran off natural gas form the wells

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sent them to the swamp eh?! We used to buy junk out of the swamp, refurbish and sell for just about OEM new... greasy old Dresser.... but when you need a frame extension and none have been cast since '74... you pay what you pay...

Weve got some old Clarkes on site, engine inside, compresor cylinders outside... maintenance was fun but they dont run no mo...

Top Bottom