R/V Batteries

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the great information thread guys, I'm beginning to consider putting a solar panel system in as well. :cool:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Gonna rig up the camper this fall with 2x6volt and solar......gonna need some guidance tod/norm I buy the beer you tell me what to do......:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been puting the 2 - 6 volts to the test this summer and I can report that we have never had an issue. We are not trying to conserve power. I even have a 15 watt solar panel from C-Tire that I hook up on occasion for "maintenance". Seems to help a little, but is not weather proof as stated in their brochure. One hail storm cracked the glass. Still works though!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
What about 6 volt gel batteries? Like the ones they use in semi trucks? Thanks for your inputs. I'm definately going to go the 6 volt route, now just have to decide which ones!

i do tons of solar and gel is if you freeze them they will still work. we use them mostly for remote sites. i have been building panels for buddies with the charge controller on the panel with 25' of cable with jumper conectors on the ends so you can always position your panel when you get where your going to get the most sun. also a 6v battery has about 250amp hours of draw where a 12 only has 90 amp hours. so series the 6 and you get 500 amp hours. if you have the room series paralel in 4 6 volts and you will never have dead batteries. also when storing batteris dont put them onto the cement or they will die and be no good. cant explain that one though

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just picked up 2 6v golf cart batteries at Costco for $70 each instead of $115 each.

Any ideas on how much solar panel power i would need to keep them topped up?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go at least 95 watts but bigger is better faster recovery in lower light conditions ( early spring an late fall and cloudy days ) the price of solar has come down big time in the last year of so
I have a 95 watt panel and would like more to keep my batteries charged ( 4- 6 volts)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do tons of solar and gel is if you freeze them they will still work. we use them mostly for remote sites. i have been building panels for buddies with the charge controller on the panel with 25' of cable with jumper conectors on the ends so you can always position your panel when you get where your going to get the most sun. also a 6v battery has about 250amp hours of draw where a 12 only has 90 amp hours. so series the 6 and you get 500 amp hours. if you have the room series paralel in 4 6 volts and you will never have dead batteries. also when storing batteris dont put them onto the cement or they will die and be no good. cant explain that one though

The average 6v golf cart batt is 220 amp hrs.....hook 2 together in series and you get 220 amp hours at 12v. A 12v G27 battery (close to the size of a CG battery...slightly larger footprint but shorter) has 105 amp hours....hook 2 together in parallel and get 210 amp hrs. It's not the 6v VS 12v thing that gets the amps....its the weight of the lead/size of the battery.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replaced the battery in our 26' Jayco with a cheap $88 Walmart special at the beginning of the season, it has been great never gone dead. We always boondock, had hookups once this summer. Granted when we camp, we camp. No TV watching, or huge stereo pumping just an ipod input at low volumes. Usually out swimming or riding or around the campfire. Use the lights when needed but don't leave them on for the sake of it all incandescent no LED's either. Ran the furnace for a couple nights and still no issue.

Top Bottom