R/V Batteries

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
I took my fifth weel out to the inlaws and discovered (I think) my batteries are pooched. They are always stored in the basement over winter, periodically recharged. I drove 2 hours and ran the furnace for 3 hours and they were stone cold dead. The next day, I had them on chargers for seven hours. They lasted just through the night running just the furnace. They are the batteries that came with the unit at time of purchace 2 years ago. They are green deep cycle "Interstate R/V" batteries. Is this a cheap brand? What are people running in their units? Anyone have any experience with battery problems & what are some solutions? I have heard of people running 6 volt batteries. What is the pros & cons? Arg!!!! I hate dealing with electrical!!!
Little help here?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run 2- 6 volts in line to get 12 volts they hold power longer than 1-12 volt also when you charge a deep cycle battery do not trickle charge dealer said the battery needs at least 12 amps they have a memory check your fluid level and acid amount

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Timely question…I just went to a 2 x 6 volt system. Rocky’s Battery in south Edmonton sold me two six volt batteries for $160 each. Installed yesterday… a little tight but good to go, if treated right should provide years of service.

From what I’ve read and been told they should last 4 times the as long camping between charges and a way longer term solution for replacing…I also threw away a two year old deep cycle 12 volt that cost me $150.

Looking into a solar panel, so far a single panel system Costco sells online is the front runner for price and performance.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeppers 2 6 volts and a 70 amp converter..havent had a dead battery for years..runs the furnace all night..charges even on overcast days..rockys on the south side is where i got mine too..they know their stuff!:beer:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeppers 2 6 volts and a 70 amp converter..havent had a dead battery for years..runs the furnace all night..charges even on overcast days..rockys on the south side is where i got mine too..they know their stuff!:beer:

did you upgrade your trailer converter or are you refering to solar pannels ? . Or do you mean 700 watt inverter to convert 12V DC to 110V AC ? I am curious becaue I am thinking of going to 2 6V and hooking them to my solar pannels.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I put in 2 6v golf cart batteries and will never go back, when everyone else around us is firing up generators we are sitting back with the lights on, furnace running and offering our power services to all around. The most important thing is to make sure to get a long first charge. 2yrs and counting for us on the same set of batteries. I bought our batteries for $125.00 a piece at Battery direct.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 6 volts and a 70 watt (i think watt)solar panel..2 panels would be perfect .i aint no lectrishin:beer:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 6 volts and a 70 watt (i think watt)solar panel..2 panels would be perfect .i aint no lectrishin:beer:

I am with you now - it makes sense - I have 3 x 18 watt pannels now to give me 54 watts and yes I would like to double that to 108 watts or about 7 amps of charging when the sun is at its peak. I would have to get another controller and the two 6 V batteries.
:beer:

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
What about 6 volt gel batteries? Like the ones they use in semi trucks? Thanks for your inputs. I'm definately going to go the 6 volt route, now just have to decide which ones!

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
What about 6 volt gel batteries? Like the ones they use in semi trucks? Thanks for your inputs. I'm definately going to go the 6 volt route, now just have to decide which ones!

The gent at Rocky's said "don't waste your money on gel batteries"...his opinion and for the crazy difference in $$ I took his advice.

Last edited:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
I am with you now - it makes sense - I have 3 x 18 watt pannels now to give me 54 watts and yes I would like to double that to 108 watts or about 7 amps of charging when the sun is at its peak. I would have to get another controller and the two 6 V batteries.

Just ordered this from Costco.ca:

Two 80 W Sharp® Solar Module Panels:

High-efficiency polycrystalline cells
BSF structure to improve cell conversion efficiency with 14.13%
White tempered glass, EVA resin and a weatherproof film along with an aluminum frame for extended outdoor use
Effortless and silent operation
Easy to install and maintenance free
Weather resistant; works under low light conditions such as rain and clouds
Temperature range: -40°C to 80°C (-40°F to 176°F)
Connect multiple panels for more power
Maximum output: 160 W, 9.34 A
Includes:
-175 W inverter
-30A charge controller
-Mounting brackets
-Screws
-Voltage tester
-Extra wiring
12 V deep cycle battery not included
Manufactured to ISO 9001 quality standards
CUL approved
30 A Digital Charge Controller

Sould make a guy pretty self sufficient!!!!!!!!

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
How much did that set-up cost? Who is installing it for you, if not yourself? That sounds like a pretty hi-teck wiring job that is way over my head. lol!
I am also wondering how much all of it weighs, the more stuff attatched to the unit = less stuff my wife can pack!

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
How much did that set-up cost? Who is installing it for you, if not yourself? That sounds like a pretty hi-teck wiring job that is way over my head. lol!
I am also wondering how much all of it weighs, the more stuff attatched to the unit = less stuff my wife can pack!

The solar charging system is not cheap…runs about $1200…worth every cent on a cold long weekend in the middle of nowhere when you need your furnace to run all weekend not your generator!!

Install is easy…panels mount permanently on roof (can be moved to another unit if you sell), wired together and then to the controller…two wires from the controller to the batteries.

Can’t see it getting in the wife way as no storage taken up. Weight wise, it’s the two 6 volts that add the weight not so much the solar system.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what did that solar system run ya from costco

I bought the 3 pannel (54 watt) Colmen solar pannels from Costco a few years ago. I noticed that they are currently selling the same kit ( pannels , connectors, controller and wiring ) for about $400. I camp in one spot out west and I have my pannels setup on there own stand . I have had good luck with my set up using 2 12V deep cycle batteries. I am going to upgrade to 2 6V batteries and ideally it would be better to have 100 watt of solar pannels for the Alberta camping ( short daylight and cold days in the spring and fall when you need the most power for the furnace and lights ). I think that the Sharp pannels that operate and are more efficient in low sunlight are a better choice but they are more money.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lead acid gels are a better battery but are very spendy. 6v are probably the best bettery for the money. I run two lead acid gels plus a 80w solar panel. I've got a friend that gives me the batteries for nothing. The batteries are about 6yrs old and still going and never leave the trailer as we camp year round.

I picked up my panel and charge regulator 2 yrs ago from Woodies in Cgy for $850, i think. Should be cheaper now as panel prices have been dropping steady.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed (2) 6V batteries on Sunday and time will tell if they perform better than the (2) 12 V that I had. I talked to the guys at Rocky's Battery and read the other posts on this thread and it seems like a good investment for $357 ( including a + to - post cable ) to ensure that you never worry about power issues for essentials (furnace and lights) for weekend trips.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
I installed the Rocky’s two 6 volt as previously stated and 7 days ago installed the 160w Sharpe system from Costco.

For testing purposes I turned every light on in the trailer (to simulate the heater motor) at about 9pm then off at about 6:30am last Monday – Friday…obviously the trailer not plugged into AC.

Very happy to report that even in a semi-cloudy week of testing the panels keep the two 6 volts at full charge, with all lights on all night!!!

I’m totally happy with the system…was easy to install too.

Top Bottom