Quitting

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Champix, made quiting very easy for me.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quit 20 years ago cold turkey. Started when I was 14.
My list of reasons to quit:
- my lungs are filled with smoke (WTF!) and I could expell smoke 30 minutes after a cigarette.
- friends could smell it on me and knew when I had one. Not good for dating.
- didn't want to become the creepy relative that stinks like smoke and wants a kiss. I have to thank my Aunts for that one.
- I couldn't run a block at a good pace at 23 years old. Friends that smoked longer than me were in worse shape.
- my parents smoked so much, their walls were coated with nicotine in the kitchen.

It's all about will power. My father smoked more than a pack a day for over 40 years and quit cold turkey a month ago. He still hangs out with a buddy every day that smokes and he hasn't had a puff.

maxandvin

Reaction score
After 25 years of smoking, I tried Champix. It worked very well for me and saved the wife and kids from the majority of the moodiness. I stopped using the Champix less than 3 weeks after the quit date, and will power has kept me off them since then. Still get cravings once in a while, got stopped for a train and realized I was looking around the truck for a smoke, that kinda thing. It has been over 2 years and so far so good.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Almost broke down tonight... Not even sure why, hangin out with a buddy in Ontario and went all night with him smoking then after he went to bed found myself ready to head outside with one of his smokes to "sneak one".... 30 days in an could have been done just like that.... even the reasoning with myself doesn't make sense, why would I? no one will ever know... I will know... who cares, it's just me...

it's a very hard addiction to break.. in the end I popped a pill and decided to post in here instead... could still go for a smoke, but then I ask myself "do you want to be a non smoker or a closet smoker?" answer is easy.. I want to be a non-smoker however being a closet smoker would be easier...

Gonna use this thread as a venting mechanism... worked tonight and hopefully will come in handy, I will wake up tomorrow being able to claim day 31...

cheers and good night...

Fawking addictions...

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have been thinking of using this forum for this same reason. i have 1.5 black stone cherries left and if you guys can do it then i guess i can to, the wife has stopped for 10 days now all on her own. me on the other hand... well i wake up and with in 10 mins of being awake im out side with a cigar. usually go threw a pack (5) large cigars a day. and yes i inhale them.

now lots of people say champix has help them so much, but i have also herd they have had the wrost dreams ever? please let me know your reactions and what to expect with using champix.

working for my dad also has a huge role in this, just like any family buisness there are good and bad times. people think things should be done different ways and dads usually always want it done there way even tho your way works to.

well i will wait till i hear from you guys about champix and the side effects you delt with. then i will go pick some up. few years back i quite smoking cigarettes by eating olives... went threw so many jars i cant stand to eat them much anymore, also the patch worked before that so now i need something new.

thanks guys/gals

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I tries to quit I chewed spitz. Worked until I went to buddies house for a few drinks. As soon as someone else has one my will power goes out the window.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Apparently I still smoke in my dreams...seems every dream I've had lately includes me smoking...

6 weeks tomorrow....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ol' Lady is 2 years 3 months smoke-free. She read that quit smoking book after having tried every other method under the sun over the years. I gotta say I am very proud of her after watching her "fall" several times in the past.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quit cold turkey Dec 12th 2005 at 5pm,.. I said to my wife I couldn't have a new truck and smoke at the same time,.. So after 7 months, I bought my new truck on my birthday July 17 2006, and have been smoke free since.

I smoked for 15yrs before I quit,.. I still think about it every now and then, but then look at my family and realize it was for more than just a truck.

Good luck :beer:

7yrs smoke free coming up :)

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i still want to quit but iv'e tried so many times now it seems i just can't do it. Even though i think i'm ready i just can't seem to do it maybe its because i smoke so much it's a lot harder hey?

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick story .
The girlfriend and I extinguished our last cigarette together on Labor Day, in the year of our lord 1987.
I can still remember that day clearly.
We bet that the one who smoked first would have to buy the other a bottle of Dom Perigon champagne.
It was $ 70 a bottle at that time, and the cigarettes were $2.75 a pack.
Without a doubt, this is one of the hardest feats to accomplish in any lifetime.
Several days went by, and I can recall sitting on a picnic table in the back of a friend's yard, and arguing about the color of their fence. If you can imagine, it was approximately the color of a classic '57 Chevy, you know that pale aqua blue. She was claiming it was green, and I know for a fact it was blue. After several minutes of intense arguing, her Aunt threw a pack of cigarettes at us , and screamed just smoke already! Fortunately we did not, as we were both stubborn enough not to lose the bet. I took a liking to chocolate bars, and gained 10 lbs. Let me say from experience, you will not be the same person for awhile. However, the cravings diminish, and your body does begin the healing process. Three years later that girlfriend became my wife, and still is to this day. We still have not smoked since that 1987 Labor day. If I said that I , 100 percent did not miss smoking, I would be lying. I can still remember that cigarette after a great meal, or the morning one with coffee. I won't even mention the bars. This is just one of those things where the pros heavily out weigh the cons. No contest. You will not see anymore money, so don't listen to the people that say you could go on an all inclusive winter trip every year for what you spend on cigarettes. The only reason to quit is for yourself. You will be glad you did, just ask anybody that has. I have never met a current non smoker that said " quitting smoking was the worst thing I have ever done in my life ". Although, you may scream this out at the beginning. If you are thinking about it , just do it, you just have to tell your brain to lie to your body for awhile. You are a drug addict, whether you refuse to believe this or not.
For those that recently have, hang in there, it does get better. One smoke free day at a time.
Oh by the way, correct me if I am wrong, I do believe that cigarettes are currently $10-$11 a pack, and that bottle of Dom Perigon is over $200 a bottle ! The bet is still on, and I still refuse to lose.

Sorry for the long dialogue.
If you are contemplating quitting, with a little determination, I wish you will be able to write your own story one day.
You'll get my respect. If you are currently a successful quitter, you already have.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that this book works. They even tell you to keep smoking while reading the book.
It worked with a few people I know

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my wife quit smoking twice........

the key to success is you have to 100% want to quit, First time she quit for a year and some of her employees suckered her back in and got her smoking again.

Second time she knew she just had to again and absolutely wanted to.

She used Champex, the first time and didnt 100% didnt want to quit but the drugs made her feel sick smoking so she quit, but cause she didnt really feel like she needed to quit, she powered through the sickness and eventually started again.

The second time she was not back to full blown smoking but i was just treating her like ch!t everytime i caught her smoking. I would just lay into her how stupid it was how i hated it how her family hated it and so on and she went back on champex, only used up the first pack and she stopped again and hasn't smoked since and hates the smell and everything about it.

Its hard, that first round she cried over how bad the cravings were and how mad she want that something like that is legal , then she would sneak a smoke and puke after a few drags.

Champex works well but you need to 100% want it.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my wife quit smoking twice........

the key to success is you have to 100% want to quit, First time she quit for a year and some of her employees suckered her back in and got her smoking again.

Second time she knew she just had to again and absolutely wanted to.

She used Champex, the first time and didnt 100% didnt want to quit but the drugs made her feel sick smoking so she quit, but cause she didnt really feel like she needed to quit, she powered through the sickness and eventually started again.

The second time she was not back to full blown smoking but i was just treating her like ch!t everytime i caught her smoking. I would just lay into her how stupid it was how i hated it how her family hated it and so on and she went back on champex, only used up the first pack and she stopped again and hasn't smoked since and hates the smell and everything about it.

Its hard, that first round she cried over how bad the cravings were and how mad she want that something like that is legal , then she would sneak a smoke and puke after a few drags.

Champex works well but you need to 100% want it.

May have worked in your case, but I wouldn't reccomend it...If my wife was doing that to me I'd start smoking again out of sheer spite.... has to be a personal decision, you telling yourself you can't have something is one thing....someone else telling you you can't have something drives determination & contempt

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that this book works. They even tell you to keep smoking while reading the book.
It worked with a few people I know
That's the one my ol Lady read...worked on her after 20+ years of smoking.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never understood starting in the first place ....
but thats just me
I guess your lifestyle can choose whether you start or not and makes it that much tougher to quit

for those of you quitting or have quit good on you
nothing more important in this world than your health

I always laugh at the guys that say "Im gonna die someday!" and then laugh about it
still funny when your lying in the hospital bed dying of cancer???

think not ....

Top Bottom