Quitting

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I quit almost 13 years ago,,, still wanted a puff for the first 7,,,,,, trick is to stop some of the things that you asociated smoking with, at least temp. till you gain control, so I stoped drinking coffee for a week, booze for the same,,,,,, and told everyone I knew not to give me any smokes,,, and also used the patch,,, the big one was my co workers not giving me any smokes,,,,, It was the hardest thing I ever did!!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Last April I woke up one night with trouble breathing so I said fawk it and started taking my nicorette lozenges they made quitting easy.... I lasted 2 months then started having a cigar etc... and soon back to full time...idiot move

time to get back on it...

Well it took me a while (2 1/2 years) but I've put them down again 28 Days tomorrow, Nicorette lozenges again, they really help me deal with the physical cravings... the rest is up to me...

I tried dozens of times, tried nearly everything, and failed horribly every time. Now I'm trying again (for the last time) and am having success for the first time. I used patched for the first two weeks just to help take the edge off a bit, but the real difference this time is NO CHEATING - period.

After 21 years of smoking, I can now brag that I haven't had a single (tabacco ;)) smoke in 48 days. The further I get, the more motivating it is becuase I do not want to kill my record and start counting at day 1 again. ...might sound a bit silly, but it's been working for me so far.

I'm at 23 years and I agree 100% with the day count...I made 60 days before and slipped back into a pack a day for another 2.5 years, I will not allow that to happen again, I'll take my 28 days and then 29, 30, 31 etc... the longer I go the better the motivation.

Even started going to the gym, did the gym thing with the wife first actually and thats what made me decide to quit... after 23 years of a pack+ per day today I ran 3 km in 15min...may not seem like a lot but a month ago I couldn't walk up the stairs without getting winded....

How many of you's are still on the wagon since this thread ???

Last edited:

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it took me a while (2 1/2 years) but I've put them down again 28 Days tomorrow, Nicorette lozenges again, they really help me deal with the physical cravings... the rest is up to me...

I'm at 23 years and I agree 100% with the day count...I made 60 days before and slipped back into a pack a day for another 2.5 years, I will not allow that to happen again, I'll take my 28 days and then 29, 30, 31 etc... the longer I go the better the motivation.

Even started going to the gym, did the gym thing with the wife first actually and thats what made me decide to quit... after 23 years of a pack+ per day today I ran 3 miles in 15min...may not seem like a lot but a month ago I couldn't walk up the stairs without getting winded....

June 16/11 quit cold turkey after doing laser therapy. Haven't touched one since. Smoked for 25 yrs before that

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Even started going to the gym, did the gym thing with the wife first actually and thats what made me decide to quit... after 23 years of a pack+ per day today I ran 3 miles in 15min...may not seem like a lot but a month ago I couldn't walk up the stairs without getting winded....

After chain smoking for 24 years, I sucked back my last cancer stick on Jan 31, 2010. Haven't taken a drag since. I made a few feeble attempts to quit through out the years, but I was never really ready to do it. This time I was...the thoughts of my girls not having a father because I chose to smoke was reason enough. Aside from an unexpected amount of will power, the best aid for me was a simple elastic band around my wrist. When I had a craving...I just took a deep breath and snapped the elastic against my skin. Sounds stupid, but it worked like a charm.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried dozens of times, tried nearly everything, and failed horribly every time. Now I'm trying again (for the last time) and am having success for the first time. I used patched for the first two weeks just to help take the edge off a bit, but the real difference this time is NO CHEATING - period.

After 21 years of smoking, I can now brag that I haven't had a single (tabacco ;)) smoke in 48 days. The further I get, the more motivating it is becuase I do not want to kill my record and start counting at day 1 again. ...might sound a bit silly, but it's been working for me so far.

Bhaaaa!!!!! Time to try again. This time, I'm gonna stay away from Vegas until at least 10 years after i've quit.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am am 7 months without. I was thinking about quiting for a while. Came home from dinner out for my birthday April 16th. Opened the pack and had one cig left. decided to give myself a birthday present and smoked that last one. quit cold turkey on the spot. Oh yah and Snow checked a new XM the next day lol..........................

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9 months for me at the end of this month CHAMpix.Your cravings are about as bad as being hungry.Smoked for 35yrs.

2 years 1 month and still no smoke. I don't miss it at all. I sure have packed on the weight. 30 lbs or so but I can breathe!!!!

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been having a tough time quitting. Told the wife I would quit when our first son was born. That was 4 years ago now, I have cut down to three smokes a day during the week and one or two on the weekends for the last 4 years.Time to try again with the new year approaching.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been having a tough time quitting. Told the wife I would quit when our first son was born. That was 4 years ago now, I have cut down to three smokes a day during the week and one or two on the weekends for the last 4 years.Time to try again with the new year approaching.

Wow, if I could have knocked it down to 3 a day, I would have never quit.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, if I could have knocked it down to 3 a day, I would have never quit.

Ya I think that's the reason I'm having a tough time quitting. Have a 45min drive to work so I have one on the way, one at noon and one on the way home. With out them I still get the craving and withdraw. But it should make it easier for me to quit when I convince myself I need to. That's what I need to work on.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smoked since I was a teen and quit about 5 yrs ago . Just got fed up with it controlling my life and started getting mad at myself for it . Quit cold turkey and was hardest thing I ever done but will never go start again as it was too hard to quit and don't want to live that again.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with cold turkey! Just say no. When me and the wife quit, there was no gum, patch, spray, hypnosis........
Prepare yourself, you are an addict and will go through withdrawals. I gained 10 lbs , as I discovered chochlate bars.
Hardest thing I did, ( besides say I DO !:d), but well worth it !

mxracer14

Reaction score
I decided to quit smoking yesterday again. Been smoking 10 yrs. Using the gum this time as it has worked the best for me in the past. I realized I was juggling money around to continue to keep smoking. I thought how stupid is this? finished the pack at lunch and called it quits. Ive started a money jar for my smoke money each day, hopefully watching my money grow in the jar will be the last push to stay quit!
Keep fighting the fight peeps!
ps. suckers work well keeping your hands and mouth busy till the sugar rush wears off! haha

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If a person can do cold turkey thats great.... I can't, it would be unfair to my wife, kids and anyone else I need to associate with. There are no "quick easy" fixes but aids do help with the physical side. I'm much easier to deal with with my nicorette and as time goes on I rely on them less and less. Last time I was off the pills by 6 weeks, obviously I should have kept them around a little longer. This time I will always have access to my nicorette for at least the first 6 months....

Agree with cold turkey! Just say no. When me and the wife quit, there was no gum, patch, spray, hypnosis........
Prepare yourself, you are an addict and will go through withdrawals. I gained 10 lbs , as I discovered chochlate bars.
Hardest thing I did, ( besides say I DO !:d), but well worth it !

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As well if you love your smoke after a meal then try and stay away from spicey foods

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been 10 years here..food dont taste any better ..my sense of smell inproved 1000 percent,,and i aint horking up a lung in the shower anymore..i dont miss that at all...just sayin!...and my 5 bucks a day went towards my first real sled ta boot!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
its been 10 years here..food dont taste any better ..my sense of smell inproved 1000 percent,,and i aint horking up a lung in the shower anymore..i dont miss that at all...just sayin!...and my 5 bucks a day went towards my first real sled ta boot!

time to get a new chef?

Top Bottom