Question about Log Truck Drivers.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know the thing is I really like going to work at 2am, its the best time of day, quiet, little for distractions, far less idiots on the road. What I dont like is going to bed at 6 pm so I can leave at 2am, thats the part that sucks.

I know in the past on this forum I have gotten into some pretty heated arguments with guys that love to have illegal headlights, lightbars, liftkits and sleddecks with out properly adjusting headlights. Were out there in the dark for many hours, often driving in adverse conditions with big loads on, and you come around a corner and there is Johnny Hero with his lifted truck with LED headlights and fog lights strait in your eyes. Blinds the hell out of you and I really like the response "just look away" or "close your eyes for a few seconds". Yeah. OK.
Well if you just need to look away, that is fair but since you can't get too close to the edge of the road, straddle the middle. I think the guy with the bright lights can get over enough to not get run over ;)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That's what I do. If I can't see I try to avoid the edge of the road. Hope I never have a head on,but I'm not hitting the ditch cause some idiot wants to have his cool lights on.
Well if you just need to look away, that is fair but since you can't get too close to the edge of the road, straddle the middle. I think the guy with the bright lights can get over enough to not get run over ;)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You think things are going well then you get one of these:

Click here for a pdf version of this document for printing and distribution.

[h=2]Fatality Alert[/h] On December 29th, near Fort St. James, a loaded log truck struck an empty, stationary log truck that had lost traction on a hill. After the collision the loaded truck left the road and the load of logs moved forward and partially crushed the cab. As a result, the driver of the loaded truck was fatally injured. The road conditions were reported to be icy.
Our condolences go out to the family, friends and co-workers of the deceased and our sympathies to all those affected by this incident.
The RCMP, Coroners Service and WorkSafeBC are investigating. This is the 10th harvesting fatality of 2017.
Although the details of this incident are still unknown, review the following safety information:

1. Drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions and unknown hazards. Know your route and pay special attention to low visibility curves and blind hills.
  2. Establish mandatory chain up locations when road conditions are icy, including signage and a pullout location to put on chains. When conditions are too hazardous, postpone hauling until the situation improves.
  3. When using the radio to transmit critical road safety hazards, like road blockages, confirm that road users have heard the message. Ask them to stop in a safe location and warn other traffic until the blockage can be cleared. Post safety triangles or flares to warn traffic of potential road safety issues as soon as possible.
  4. Develop a plan for timely resource road inspections and maintenance. Use the draft resource road maintenance guideline as a reference:
  5. Regularly inspect and maintain vehicles. Make sure important safety equipment like cab guards, wrappers, tires and brakes are all in good condition.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You think things are going well then you get one of these:

Click here for a pdf version of this document for printing and distribution.

[h=2]Fatality Alert[/h] On December 29th, near Fort St. James, a loaded log truck struck an empty, stationary log truck that had lost traction on a hill. After the collision the loaded truck left the road and the load of logs moved forward and partially crushed the cab. As a result, the driver of the loaded truck was fatally injured. The road conditions were reported to be icy.
Our condolences go out to the family, friends and co-workers of the deceased and our sympathies to all those affected by this incident.
The RCMP, Coroners Service and WorkSafeBC are investigating. This is the 10th harvesting fatality of 2017.
Although the details of this incident are still unknown, review the following safety information:

1. Drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions and unknown hazards. Know your route and pay special attention to low visibility curves and blind hills.
  2. Establish mandatory chain up locations when road conditions are icy, including signage and a pullout location to put on chains. When conditions are too hazardous, postpone hauling until the situation improves.
  3. When using the radio to transmit critical road safety hazards, like road blockages, confirm that road users have heard the message. Ask them to stop in a safe location and warn other traffic until the blockage can be cleared. Post safety triangles or flares to warn traffic of potential road safety issues as soon as possible.
  4. Develop a plan for timely resource road inspections and maintenance. Use the draft resource road maintenance guideline as a reference:
  5. Regularly inspect and maintain vehicles. Make sure important safety equipment like cab guards, wrappers, tires and brakes are all in good condition.
Brutal, RIP.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The basic story I have gotten is both trucks worked for the same company, the empty truck spun out trying to get to the block, radioed in that he was blocking the road. Driver of the loaded truck was outside his truck wrapping his load, got in his truck, called out he was leaving the block, started around a corner and down a hill, part way down he saw the spun out truck, tried to avoid him by taking the ditch, load slid forward. The problem area is the block is always on a different channel than the roads, the truck leaving the block switches over to the road channel and calls out. Nobody else on the road to warn him and driver of spun out truck outside of his truck putting chains on.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The basic story I have gotten is both trucks worked for the same company, the empty truck spun out trying to get to the block, radioed in that he was blocking the road. Driver of the loaded truck was outside his truck wrapping his load, got in his truck, called out he was leaving the block, started around a corner and down a hill, part way down he saw the spun out truck, tried to avoid him by taking the ditch, load slid forward. The problem area is the block is always on a different channel than the roads, the truck leaving the block switches over to the road channel and calls out. Nobody else on the road to warn him and driver of spun out truck outside of his truck putting chains on.
You need a dual channel radio. Listen to both at once. Dual key mic talk to either.

Just don't accidentally key the wrong channel or you will have the same problems.

All logging trucks have headache racks right?

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a dual channel radio. Listen to both at once. Dual key mic talk to either.

Just don't accidentally key the wrong channel or you will have the same problems.

All logging trucks have headache racks right?

yes, Logger cab guards are mandatory equipment although the odd highway cowboy deceides he is going to set the world on fire, rents a trailer and comes on out for a few weeks with no cabguard. Cant legislate against stupidity.

Problem with this situation is both drivers were outside of the truck when each called on the radio. Dont matter how many radios you have when your outside.

The 2 simple solutions would be first, driver who spun out put his chains on before he entered the bad part of the road, no idea if he knew it was bad, had been told, was to lazy or just trying to be a hero, 2nd solution would have been for him to wait in the truck for the other driver to call out, but that presumes he even knew the other driver was ready to come out. Most of the time a guy who spun out goes into panic mode and wants to get his chains on and out of there ASAP.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, Logger cab guards are mandatory equipment although the odd highway cowboy deceides he is going to set the world on fire, rents a trailer and comes on out for a few weeks with no cabguard. Cant legislate against stupidity.

Problem with this situation is both drivers were outside of the truck when each called on the radio. Dont matter how many radios you have when your outside.

The 2 simple solutions would be first, driver who spun out put his chains on before he entered the bad part of the road, no idea if he knew it was bad, had been told, was to lazy or just trying to be a hero, 2nd solution would have been for him to wait in the truck for the other driver to call out, but that presumes he even knew the other driver was ready to come out. Most of the time a guy who spun out goes into panic mode and wants to get his chains on and out of there ASAP.
Definitely.

So guys don't carry a handheld radio so they don't miss anything when outside the truck?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely.

So guys don't carry a handheld radio so they don't miss anything when outside the truck?

no, the thing is this is a very rare situation, allot of bad mojo had to come together for the tragedy to happen. You jump out to throw chains, the last thing you want is an extra radio in your pocket, something to catch your clothing or chains on. Most of the time it takes 2 to 3 minutes to throw your chains on, your back in your cab to drive on to them, so the time away from the radio is minimal. I can only assume the driver of the spun out truck figured somebody would let the other guy know as soon as he was ready to roll, but if he switched channels to the road channel the loaderman wouldnt know he was leaving and didn't hear.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've blocked the road once or twice. Always make anyone coming knows before getting out of the truck

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely.

A guy should invent a radio to switch to loud speakers mounted on the headache rack could be a million dollar idea right there..

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, I receive these bulletins through the B.C. safety council but with out any further info into the incident. I like to review these incidents with our trucks and crews as part of our safety program. Always nice to have more info.

Are you guys finding these new RR channels to be a problem? We have had a few close calls now with different road systems that merge and there is a time laps of communication between the trucks till they hit the common junction. Try stopping a load of logs in a panic situation...not fun.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I receive these bulletins through the B.C. safety council but with out any further info into the incident. I like to review these incidents with our trucks and crews as part of our safety program. Always nice to have more info.

Are you guys finding these new RR channels to be a problem? We have had a few close calls now with different road systems that merge and there is a time laps of communication between the trucks till they hit the common junction. Try stopping a load of logs in a panic situation...not fun.

For the most part pretty happy with the RR channel system, its great to know you will always have the proper road channel no matter where you get sent to.

I understand what you mean about entering, leaving and merging onto roads. Our culture tells us that loaded trucks have the ultimate right of way and can basically steam roll onto roads and force empties to take avassive actions to avoid loads. It shouldnt be that way. Loaded trucks should slow or stop at pretty much any intersection where there has to be a channel change. I understand that there are times because of road design or weather challenges that stopping is extremely hard. What is the solution? Well better communication is all we can work for. Guys have to be on the ball when calling on to new roads, empty or loaded, giving advance warning of coming out. But really pisses me off is your in a busy road system and somebody is either calling miles or an empty calling onto a road and the music playing in the background is a loud as his voice coming over the radio. If your on a working RR road turn your damn Siruis radio off, throw your CD's out the window, and shash your IPhone. Concentrate on what is happening around you. Do you really need the added distractions? Get on the highway, crank it up, I dont give a damn then.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Another thing which needs to happen is better planning by the mills. Dont put so many contractors in the same area at once. Canfor has been on a huge push because they ran out of wood this spring, now they are balls to the wall, but we have one instance in our area where they have 4 contractors on a 9.5 km spur road, each contractor doing 25 to 30 loads a day, and the spur road had only 5 pullouts in 9 km. They were moving 120 loads a day on a 9 km stretch, so that means 120 trips up and 120 trips back in about a 12 hour range, or simple math, 20 trucks an hour. Just plain stupid, and this from a company who stress safety, safety, safety, unless of course it costs them money.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

as for the radio solution what I run in my truck is 2 radio's but only one has a mike, the other is only to monitor. As I am coming out loaded I have my monitor on the channel I am about to enter so I can track traffic. I only run one mike and only treat one radio as a true radio because I found if you have 2 mikes you often call on the wrong channel and create even more confussion. Similar when in the bush, I always have my radio on the block channel but I have my monitor on the road channel so I know when and were the next truck is, when I am at the hammer if I know the guy is getting close, I take my time wrapping up and dont bother leaving till he is on site. To simplify the confusion of two radios, I have the main radio working through the truck speaker system so its always loud and clear, the 2nd monitor only uses the radios speaker itself so it is very easy to distinguish which radio you are hearing. To go along with that I use Kenwood radio's and you can program 4 buttons as presets so I can switch from one road channel to another with one button push.

I find the one radio, one monitor to be the best solution for me since I have started trucking, but sadly, it is against WCB and Mill regulations, but guess what, they can go f**ck themselves on this one.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing which needs to happen is better planning by the mills. Dont put so many contractors in the same area at once. Canfor has been on a huge push because they ran out of wood this spring, now they are balls to the wall, but we have one instance in our area where they have 4 contractors on a 9.5 km spur road, each contractor doing 25 to 30 loads a day, and the spur road had only 5 pullouts in 9 km. They were moving 120 loads a day on a 9 km stretch, so that means 120 trips up and 120 trips back in about a 12 hour range, or simple math, 20 trucks an hour. Just plain stupid, and this from a company who stress safety, safety, safety, unless of course it costs them money.
I can see gps tracking on all vechiles and a air traffic controller.

Top Bottom