Plowing snow with an ATV

abcowboy

Reaction score
I also plow with a 08 kawaskie 650 i use a 60'' swisher blade & i also have a frontend bucket works great

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just hoping to get some opinions on how many cc's is best to have in order to plow snow.
I realize different makes are better than others and so some may need more cc's than others, so as much information as you can share would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to buy a used ATV, but only have about $4000 to spend but want to get the best I can for that price so I'm able to plow snow.
Thanks!

the way things are going here a 120cc would work just fine.:mad:

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I got a warn 48" blade I use on my 02 honda 350 or grizzly 700. Both machines plow the same, just faster on the Grizz. The honda piles it better cause its lighter and can push up a hardened pile better. The only thing i reccomend is to get an actual electric plow lift as my winch cable is chewed all to crap going up and down in the same spot on the fairlead.

Emt Worker

Reaction score
I agree with nothern Bear. The metal winch cable gets weak at the end where it rolls on the fairlead. You can bypass that problem by getting synthetic winch line.
Another thing to think about, you probably thought of it already, is to get a blade that is wider then the width of your quad, including if you put the blade at an angle. Other wise your tires are always going through deep snow, making the quad work harder.
I have a 60" blade with my Grizz 700 and it pushes the snow no problem, even with stock tires.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I almost cut thru my front rack before going to princess auto and picking up a small cable block roller and a clevis attached the roller block to the front underside of the rack and fed the winch line thru... about $5 and works slick as snot..

I got a warn 48" blade I use on my 02 honda 350 or grizzly 700. Both machines plow the same, just faster on the Grizz. The honda piles it better cause its lighter and can push up a hardened pile better. The only thing i reccomend is to get an actual electric plow lift as my winch cable is chewed all to crap going up and down in the same spot on the fairlead.

I agree with nothern Bear. The metal winch cable gets weak at the end where it rolls on the fairlead. You can bypass that problem by getting synthetic winch line.
Another thing to think about, you probably thought of it already, is to get a blade that is wider then the width of your quad, including if you put the blade at an angle. Other wise your tires are always going through deep snow, making the quad work harder.
I have a 60" blade with my Grizz 700 and it pushes the snow no problem, even with stock tires.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a multi hitch mount system on your QUAD , Front and Rear, do a search for The Montana Jacks Winch Rotator, and you will :nono: never have a problem with Winch Cables ever again while Plowing Snow.:perfect10:

Bruce :ranger: 6x6

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I lived in SP and plowed the old mans driveway I used his 99 450S. First gear was super low, only capable of 7 K/PH. With the 50" blade that turned both ways there was never any real issues.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever atv/plow combo you like, this is the most efficient way of dealing with snow.

Click on videos & pick the winter one.

Last edited:

500 King

Reaction score
I agree. I've been plowing with an ATV for many, many years, and for me, it's all about traction. I've plowed some with regular tires, put chains on and was able to plow more snow, and had my buddy use his machine with tracks (same machine as mine) and he was able to push unbelievable amounts of snow... and stack it as high as he wanted. :d

I think the people at Moose can probably explain it better than me...

Moose Utility Division - How To

Now, I do believe a larger displacement ATV with the same amount of traction will work less in pushing the same amount of snow. However, once traction is lost, the power doesn't do much other than dig in.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the synthetic rope hold up to plowing snow? Going to be the first winter plowing with it as I replaced my winch and cable this spring Do I still need to use my snatch block? Does it get frayed and tatered like the steel cable?

Just curious as the synthetic cable is alot more than cable.

Thanks in advance:beer:

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the synthetic rope hold up to plowing snow? Going to be the first winter plowing with it as I replaced my winch and cable this spring Do I still need to use my snatch block? Does it get frayed and tatered like the steel cable?

If you are using a roller fairlead :rolleyes:that your synthryic rope goes through:eek: it will eat your S R. Check out my post 09/24/2010." Montana Jacks Winch Rotator". Cable goes strait up and strait down.

gildp67

Reaction score
Well being a newby to this sport I maybe way off base but the only thing I can add is, if money is no object check out the blackline plows amazing kit. Hyd lift and has optional hyd angle as well. Found these plows while researching one to buy myself.

500 King

Reaction score

I like the synthetic rope for plowing. I use a 10' section of the 1/4" Amsteel rope for plowing. I also use a Hawse fairlead instead of a roller fairlead.

If you don't get any burrs in the fairlead to fray the rope, don't over pull it (jam it hard against the fairlead) and keep the rope clean, it works great.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just hoping to get some opinions on how many cc's is best to have in order to plow snow.
I realize different makes are better than others and so some may need more cc's than others, so as much information as you can share would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to buy a used ATV, but only have about $4000 to spend but want to get the best I can for that price so I'm able to plow snow.
Thanks!

I use a 98 yamaha grizzly that I picked up from a farm auction for $250. Electric start don't work, it idols like crappy but man does it ever plow snow. You don't need much, the more options and glitter you want the more you will pay

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
the way things are going here a 120cc would work just fine.:mad:

lmfao!! ya but u wont push much with the weight of that chino. I've seen KQ 300's plow, Eiger 400 auto/s-auto plow, and the bigger kings plowin. Same result. I've plowed lots w a KQ750, with stocks, with mudder's. I recommend stockers, they wont dig ya a hole to get stuck in.IMO
Auto or manual= ur choice, I'd do auto.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Transmission is more important than cc's IMO. If your machine has a low range you can plow most anything except nasty drifts, bigger machines may not be able to get those either.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Transmission is more important than cc's IMO. If your machine has a low range you can plow most anything except nasty drifts, bigger machines may not be able to get those either.

I like the synthetic rope for plowing. I use a 10' section of the 1/4" Amsteel rope for plowing. I also use a Hawse fairlead instead of a roller fairlead.

If you don't get any burrs in the fairlead to fray the rope, don't over pull it (jam it hard against the fairlead) and keep the rope clean, it works great.

I put a the brand new roller faillead in that came with the new winch so I should be fine then???????????

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Been plowing with a 450 Foreman for the last 10 years,worked great!!!
Doin a 72" install on the Prowler tomorow!!Should cut snow-clearing time in half!!!
Might put some pics up if I'm sober enough to post after the instalation.

500 King

Reaction score
I put a the brand new roller faillead in that came with the new winch so I should be fine then???????????

I prefer a Hawse fairlead for synthetic rope. However, if the rollers don't get any nicks in them, and the rope doesn't get pinched in the edges of the rollers, it should work fine.

Top Bottom