Plowing snow with an ATV

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Been plowing with a 450 Foreman for the last 10 years,worked great!!!
Doin a 72" install on the Prowler tomorow!!Should cut snow-clearing time in half!!!
Might put some pics up if I'm sober enough to post after the instalation.

:beer::beer:

Attachments

• Plow install 013.jpg
    Plow install 013.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 277

grasshpper326

Reaction score
How does the synthetic rope hold up to plowing snow? Going to be the first winter plowing with it as I replaced my winch and cable this spring Do I still need to use my snatch block? Does it get frayed and tatered like the steel cable?

Just curious as the synthetic cable is alot more than cable.

Thanks in advance:beer:

ive went through 3 different cables on my sportsman 800 with a plow on it the first one was the stock metal cable it snapped when i was plowing, so i bought a synthetic one (it was blue weather that matters or not), that one snapped within a month of plowing, so i went back to polaris dealer an got the metal cable again and that is starting to fray again already. Needless to say i havent had any luck with either kind

500 King

Reaction score
ive went through 3 different cables on my sportsman 800 with a plow on it the first one was the stock metal cable it snapped when i was plowing, so i bought a synthetic one (it was blue weather that matters or not), that one snapped within a month of plowing, so i went back to polaris dealer an got the metal cable again and that is starting to fray again already. Needless to say i havent had any luck with either kind

Sounds like you are pulling the rope to far in on the winch and binding it.

Pick yourself up a 20 foot (2" wide) flat tow strap with winch hooks on both ends...
Cut the strap in half.
Attach the strap to the winch drum with some duct tape and pull the strap on the drum under tension so it secures the strap to the drum.
That's about as strong as you're going to get. Plus, you've got a spare if it ever goes.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sounds like you are pulling the rope to far in on the winch and binding it.

Pick yourself up a 20 foot (2" wide) flat tow strap with winch hooks on both ends...
Cut the strap in half.
Attach the strap to the winch drum with some duct tape and pull the strap on the drum under tension so it secures the strap to the drum.
That's about as strong as you're going to get. Plus, you've got a spare if it ever goes.
Hey that's a great idea!!!

Clinebo

Reaction score
I have used the short synthetic rope on mine for the last 6 years now. All I do is swap the top and bottom rollers in the fairlead. Its starting to show some wear,but its 6 yrs old! Just added a snowflap to the top of the blade.....works great in the powder to keep snow from blowing up into my face. :beer::d:beer:

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 198

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Going home to plow tonight .............. Arctic Cat 500. No problem. Does need beverage holder. :beer::d

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used the short synthetic rope on mine for the last 6 years now. All I do is swap the top and bottom rollers in the fairlead. Its starting to show some wear,but its 6 yrs old! Just added a snowflap to the top of the blade.....works great in the powder to keep snow from blowing up into my face. :beer::d:beer:

what di you use for flap material. I got to put one on mine.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got mine rigged up and tried it out this weekend

2010 Can AM Outlander Max 650
BRP Apache Tracks
BRP 5' angle plow blade
6' Marathon tandem tub trailer

Started another post at 2010 Outlander with tracks and plow and will keep adding pictures though the winter

But here is one on the trails doing trail maintenance

Attachments

• 2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    2010-11-30_TCSC_TM_Tracks109.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 282

racerfromhell

Reaction score
Has anyone have a 60" plow on a RZR? I am selling my snowblower in favor of a glacier 2 plow and am wondering how it works......

500 King

Reaction score
Has anyone have a 60" plow on a RZR? I am selling my snowblower in favor of a glacier 2 plow and am wondering how it works......

The 60" blade will work on your RZR. You could probably go to a 72" blade. However, I would consider the new Glacier III plow system over the Glacier II system if they make the Glacier III for your RZR. The Glacier III systems mount looks to be much stronger. I had a Glacier II on my previous ATV, and it wasn't much... bent the mount and the front ATV frame pretty easy. The Glacier II is probably OK for a small paved driveway, but not a rough 300' dirt/rock driveway like mine.

As a matter of fact, you might want to look around at other brands. You might find a tougher mount/plow than the Glacier at a better price.

Good luck.

MontanaDave

Reaction score
I have been running a 60" moose plow on my old 95 Kodiak 400 for 5 years now, using a synthetic cable with no problems, clears the driveway 1/2 mile dirt and about a 1 mile section of dirt road. During the winter it is my lifeline, the country does not plow the road where I live, so we depend on our ATV's to keep us clear...the only problem I have now is the darn fwd/reverse lever broke off this evening, so can't shift between fwd and reverse any longer, now I have to find a new shift lever so I can get the adjustment fixed on the cable! :rant:

Clinebo

Reaction score
what di you use for flap material. I got to put one on mine.

I bought it from 'Montana Jacks'. Its a Warn product. The holes matched up pretty good. I think I had to drill 2 of them a little eggshaped to get the bolts to match up. But it does a good job of keeping the snow off the front of me and the machine. If you want to make your own you could probably use a piece of old snowmobile track or a heavy inner tube?

MontanaDave

Reaction score
I bought it from 'Montana Jacks'. Its a Warn product. The holes matched up pretty good. I think I had to drill 2 of them a little eggshaped to get the bolts to match up. But it does a good job of keeping the snow off the front of me and the machine. If you want to make your own you could probably use a piece of old snowmobile track or a heavy inner tube?

I bought my flap off ebay a few years ago, came cut to size for the plow blade I have, came with the bolts, but I did have to drill the blade because it didn't have the holes drilled, it has made a big difference in how much powder you end up with in your face.

If I remember right I paid about $20 for it.

Now if you want to make your own, I would suggest getting a hold of a piece of conveyor belt material, then drill and secure with bolts, washers on both side and use nylock nuts, would actually be pretty easy to make if you can get a hold of the right material.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Hey all. Does a warn cyclone blade allow one to windrow higher and farther than the standard blade? Or is it a gimmick just yo sell more stuff? One more large dump of snow and my driveway is gonna get narrower and narrower. Can't throw it high enough anymore.

500 King

Reaction score
Hey all. Does a warn cyclone blade allow one to windrow higher and farther than the standard blade?

Well, maybe a little bit, but not much. For sure, if you already have 3 or 4 foot banks along the driveway, it's not going to throw it over that (unless you plow at about 30MPH LOL). Where the cyclone (or country or state) plows excel, is in keeping the snow moving to the right side (high side) of the plow and minimize the snow that "sneaks" off the narrow side when the plow is angled to the right. Also, because of that high side, they do move a lot of snow.

Good luck.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Damn looks like i may have to put the plow mount back on the grizz. Poor old honda just doesnt have the get up and go to plow at 30 mph lol

Top Bottom