On the verge 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton

chev4life88

Reaction score
hey guys im truck shopping and im down to a gmc sierra but idk if i want to go back down to a half ton or go up to a duramax i love the power of the diesel but a half ton can pull my trailer, in the same breath i tow a lot too so im really on the fence. The half ton is full load ext cab 6 6 box and the diesel is ccsb and my trailer is around 7000 lb opinions plz

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the 3/4 ton 6.0L gas? Cheaper than the duramax but still has lots of power.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GO WITH A 3/4 GASSER....PLENTY OF POWER FOR 7000lbs TRAILER IF
GEARED PROPERLY.MUCH CHEAPER AND LESS SMELLY THAN THE DIESEL.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by reading your site name you will probably wanna shoot me for this comment but. have you looked at the ford 1/2 tons. haul just as much as the chevy 3/4 gasser and ride way better and waaay more room in the back seat than the chevys. and really good mileage. i was a chevy man till i looked at them and bought mine, never go back to small and not enough power. i get around 10-12 litres per 100 k on mine with 305/60 18 fc2s on it. with the factory ties i was gett 10 and better. just my 2 cents.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Chev 3/4 with the 6.0 and I find it decent. I wouldn't have a 1/2, one reason I use a sled deck and I find with the 3/4 everything is just a bit heavier and more durable. If I could go back, I would go with the dura.

If you find a 1/2 meets all your needs then go for it, but aren't they the 5.3? The 6.0 is a better block for sure. The only time I feel underpowered is when my buddy with a Dura pulls away from me :mad:

Personally my next truck, unless I find a great deal on Dura, will have a Cummins :cool: No more independent front crap.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by reading your site name you will probably wanna shoot me for this comment but. have you looked at the ford 1/2 tons. haul just as much as the chevy 3/4 gasser and ride way better and waaay more room in the back seat than the chevys. and really good mileage. i was a chevy man till i looked at them and bought mine, never go back to small and not enough power. i get around 10-12 litres per 100 k on mine with 305/60 18 fc2s on it. with the factory ties i was gett 10 and better. just my 2 cents.

I totally have to agree with you on the F-150. I just tested one the other day and Ford really raised the bar with the 2010`s. Ride, space and the best towing cap. in its class. Think we`re leaning towards a 3/4 ton cummings only because we pull lots of weight...

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had two D-Max's and loved them both for towing and for daily driving. I wouldn't go back to a half ton just cause they don't come with a diesel. BTW modern diesels don't smell any worse than gas jobs, have way more torque, start just as easy, are just as quite and get better mileage especially while towing. If you tow a lot get the D-Max. I currently have an F-350 and it tows way better than my GM's but is a horrible daily driver, point is every truck has it's good and bad points only you can figure out whats best for you.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sad a 3/4 diesel that rated to only tow 10,000 and a gasser f150 rated for 11,500. just sayin:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no problems. trailer that size will have brakes and the rors/ brake pads on the 150s are same size as chevys 3/4 tons. i didn't believe it either till i looked into it i went from a chev 3/4 to the 150.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But try and stop that same load with an F-150 compared to a d-max!!

Exactly a 3/4 has bigger frame, brakes, axles, better suspension they are built to tow. Personally I have been in the circumstance where my electric brakes failed and had to rely on the truck to stop a 13000lb load. Remember to do the calculations, a quad in the back plus the trailer and wife and kids in the half ton will put you over load.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no problems. trailer that size will have brakes and the rors/ brake pads on the 150s are same size as chevys 3/4 tons. i didn't believe it either till i looked into it i went from a chev 3/4 to the 150.

i can't argue the brake size from truck to truck as i don't know :dontknow:but i would still have to think that given the scenerio of the trailer brakes failing and the both of us applying truck brakes at the exact same point i'm thinking i could safely stop that weight in a shorter distance than any 1/2 ton not just a ford. IMO.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i totally understand what your sayin. and agree with you. but i know that the new unit pulls the trailer and hauls the qaud 100 times better than my 3/4 ton did. the newer 5yr and less 3/4 may be different but i know mine only had the c channel frame, new half ton is fully boxed, and riveted in crossmembers, new 1/2 ton tubed crossmembers that go through both frame layers and are welded in. much stiffer frame and way smoother susp. also with the trailer package they have a anti sway system that helps keep the unit on the road in a scary situation. happened to me once now on the ice. trailer started to take over system kicked in and straigtened right out. kinda wierd feeling when you have no controll at all when the system takes over but was neat. stayed on the road at least without it would have been a way different story regarless of what i was driving.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
pretty sad a 3/4 diesel that rated to only tow 10,000 and a gasser f150 rated for 11,500. just sayin:d

i believe the 3/4 tons are rated for 23,000 lbs(with a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch) a lot higher than any half ton . I would never buy a 1/2 ton truck .They just don.t have the payload.I.M.O.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
Here's my suggestion:

Figure out your needs today and go a step up. If you buy a 1/2 ton for your needs today, you'll be shopping for a 3/4 ton in a year or two because you'll have more gear, bigger trailer etc.

I once had a 1/2 ton...went to the 3/4 ton because I got more gear and needed the carrying/stopping ability. funny thing is I now own an F 350...but those topkicks/kodiak 4X4 with the p/u box sure look good... I wonder if I my wife will believe that we "need" it?;)

Jake

Reaction score
Power is not the only thing taken into account in tow ratings. Brakes, shocks, tires...the list goes on. Capacities and ratings are based on the weakest or lowest rated component.

theodus

Reaction score
I have an F150 5.4L as well and it pulls nice. My travel trailer is about 7000lbs loaded and pull and stops with no issues. I bought the Ford mainly due to the price and inside capacity (I have two boys). That said, if the decision is about a chev 6.0L and a duromax...the diesel is $7200 more.

If you say you will get 5 MPG better while towing with a diesel than the gas. At $0.80 per liter you would have to drive 197,000 km just to break even. I guess the real question is...how long will you own the truck? and is there more reason that just fuel consumption?

For the math I used 15MPG for the Gasser, and 20 MPG for the diesel.

Math:
15MPG = 5.33 km/L
At $0.80/L it costs 14.9cents per KM

20MPG = 7.11 km/L
At $0.80 it costs 11.25 cents per KM

14.9c per KM - 11.25c per KM = a difference of 3.65c/km

$7200/$0.0365 = 197,260KM

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have a 2002 dirtymax 3/4 ton. Love my truck and the power of a diesel, my only regret is that I didn't go to a 1 ton at the time, I found that when I had two on the deck and two on the trailer with all the gear etc - I was overweight.

Good luck.

Top Bottom