Ford 6.2L vs GM 6.0

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the gm 6.0 can keep up with the ford 6.2 from what people have said. But there is several that say the gm is gutless compared to all gas jobs. I have watched a few videos and looks like the 6.0 does lack some power but I was looking for real world tests by daily drivers

https://youtu.be/2IssetxE5FU

https://youtu.be/9gMV35SbAOY

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a '16 GMC 2500 with the 6L for the last year and have no complaints. Pulling my 26' travel trailer with a my quad in the box has been a breeze so far, it not a diesel by any means, but if you let it do its thing it'll tow just fine.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's easy to program the torque limits out on the 6l90e, makes the truck feel like a super charger was installed

Can any gm dealer do this? What all does it change in transmission ? Would it cause any damage

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a '16 GMC 2500 with the 6L for the last year and have no complaints. Pulling my 26' travel trailer with a my quad in the box has been a breeze so far, it not a diesel by any means, but if you let it do its thing it'll tow just fine.

Thats the way to go. Realize you’re not driving a diesel and let the engine/tranny combo do what is designed to do when towing. As long as you’re not hauling a huge trailer the gas engines work just fine, and unlike the diesels you don’t have to worry about fuel quality, gelling, filters etc etc.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the way to go. Realize you’re not driving a diesel and let the engine/tranny combo do what is designed to do when towing. As long as you’re not hauling a huge trailer the gas engines work just fine, and unlike the diesels you don’t have to worry about fuel quality, gelling, filters etc etc.
Redline and downshift?

Reactions: LBZ

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Redline and downshift?

Just drive like a white man and realize that it’s ok to climb the hills at 100 instead of 125. On the flats there’s no difference between the two. You might be in 5th instead of 6th, but who cares. With the way the traffic is on most roads anyway trying to do 130 everywhere you go is a frustrating endeavour.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drive like a white man and realize that it’s ok to climb the hills at 100 instead of 125. On the flats there’s no difference between the two. You might be in 5th instead of 6th, but who cares. With the way the traffic is on most roads anyway trying to do 130 everywhere you go is a frustrating endeavour.
And what about engine breaking?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And what about engine breaking?

You still have engine braking with a gas engine.... just not as much as a newer diesel....use the manual feature on the transmission and the service brakes on the truck/trailer....use your skills as a driver instead of relying on the truck to do the job for you....hard to believe that before about 2010 people actually pulled trailers up and down hills from coast to coast with less than 450hp, engine braking, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, etc etc etc...pretty stressful back then.... I wonder how we did it....

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You still have engine braking with a gas engine.... just not as much as a newer diesel....use the manual feature on the transmission and the service brakes on the truck/trailer....use your skills as a driver instead of relying on the truck to do the job for you....hard to believe that before about 2010 people actually pulled trailers up and down hills from coast to coast with less than 450hp, engine braking, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, etc etc etc...pretty stressful back then.... I wonder how we did it....
I don't want to live in that world, ever again.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to live in that world, ever again.

Hahaha. On one end is what we did when I was a kid.... ford fairlane station wagon with my parents and us kids with a 17’ travel trailer, overheating up the big hills, brakes smoking on the downhill... and then today, 450hp, 950 torque 1 ton with 40’ fiver doing 130 everywhere, little driver input other than fingering everyone who’s in your way slowing you down ... I’m happy with a new gasser superduty with a medium sized trailer.... none of the problems of either of the above, taking it easy enjoying a worry free motoring experience.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. On one end is what we did when I was a kid.... ford fairlane station wagon with my parents and us kids with a 17’ travel trailer, overheating up the big hills, brakes smoking on the downhill... and then today, 450hp, 950 torque 1 ton with 40’ fiver doing 130 everywhere, little driver input other than fingering everyone who’s in your way slowing you down ... I’m happy with a new gasser superduty with a medium sized trailer.... none of the problems of either of the above, taking it easy enjoying a worry free motoring experience.
Couldn't agree more.
Used to be so tired and stressed by the time a guy reached his destination.
Now I have to look back just to make sure my 30ft trailer is still attached.

Top Bottom