Ford 6.2L vs GM 6.0

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so i posted earlier about gas vs diesel and I think I am going gas job due to how little I drive it and don’t tow more then 10000 lb. But I am looking at a newer 2500/3500 gas job and I have found a few reviews on the gm and ford but they all seemed to be mixed reviews. I know the older gm got horrible mileage but I heard it was better with the 6 speed now. Any body drove both or switched ? Looking at 2011+. Any input would be awesome

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have driven both. 2008 2500 GMC and a 2013 F350 and both were 4x4 long boxes with a 6 speed transmission. The mileage isn't great but it isn't horrible. The F350 got better mileage than the GMC. In the summer I can consistently get 15-17 and in the winter 18-19 l/100 with the Ford. Most winter driving I am hauling sleds on a deck. When I pull a 25' all season holiday trailer with 1 pullout the mileage will average 25-28 l/100.

Both motors have/were bullet proof and had enough power for what I needed. No mods to the power train.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2012 Ford one ton 6.2 auto long box xcab, 40k on it now been really good. Packs 450 liter tidy tank and has a Brutus work box. Gets about 23 litres per 100km, not great but considering that’s what my dodge diesel dully gets it great.
have a 2006 one ton Chec 6liter, same set up and about the same mileage too, 198 km and it’s been bomb proof too. Of course I don’t drive them myself or perhaps they might have more problems but I’m thinking the boys run em hard and I’ve been happy.
i say $10k option for a diesel you sure can burn a pile of gas for that.
i also find the Chec to be a great pick up for around town but the ford is better suited as a work truck...sorry gm guys I like the ford.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s been discussed but gear ratio is really important on gas trucks if packing weight or pulling.
I had the 6.2 in a crew long 4x4 with 4:30 ratio .
Pulled like crazy and lots of power.
4:10 ratio would have perfect for all around .IMO
Ford didn’t offer 4:10’s when I ordered.
Most Fords will have 3:73 if not ordered .

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shop I work at uses the GM 3/4 ton and 1 ton gas jobs for almost their entire fleet. My biggest hang-up with these trucks is the transmission software and that god awful manual mode. The fords use the 6R140 on their gas trucks which has a great manual mode if the auto gets on your nerves.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shop I work at uses the GM 3/4 ton and 1 ton gas jobs for almost their entire fleet. My biggest hang-up with these trucks is the transmission software and that god awful manual mode. The fords use the 6R140 on their gas trucks which has a great manual mode if the auto gets on your nerves.
It's easy to program the torque limits out on the 6l90e, makes the truck feel like a super charger was installed

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running gms for work for the past 13 years. A variety between 2500 & 3500.
I run a single deck with survey gear. Fully loaded at 4300 kg. That includes one quad.
These trucks are crew cab long box. When running 3.73 gears, no quad was at 13 miles/gallons. With quad 11. Running 4.10 gears, was a constant 12 miles/gallon with or without quad.
I have no info on the 6.2 ford.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with either option, the 6.0 GM has been around for a while already, and the 6.2 Ford has proven itself as well. I'd choose whatever truck you like better over the motor. As said already towing power and fuel economy will mostly be determined by gear ratio. I do like the 6R140 Transmission in the ford though, you will never tear one apart with a gas engine.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I believe the 6.4 Hemi is the way to go. It’s the only HD gas with over 400hp.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I believe the 6.4 Hemi is the way to go. It’s the only HD gas with over 400hp.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I have heard the 6.4 is really thirsty on fuel even for a heavy gas truck

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 hemi is the most gutless I've ever driven considering it's fuel usage. Trans sucked too. Geared too high coming out of the basement imo.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest advantages to the 6.2 ford in the 17-18 superduty is the new camshaft profiling and other changes they made to lower the torque peak to the 3700 rpm range down from the mid 4K range. Everyone comments on how “stressful” it is to drive a gas engined truck because you have to let it rev. It should be less “stressful “ to have a truck that revs at 3800 than 5000 rpm.
Im not sure what the HP of the 6.2 is at the torque peak, but im guessing it’s 300+. Manufacturers bragging up torque and horsepower numbers is fine, but if they don’t occur where you’re likely to need it, Its not much good. There’s more to a truck than the horsepower number.
Ford has done their homework when it comes to towing, particularly in the gas engine trucks by lowering the torque peak and offering the 4.3 rear axle, as well as the other tow technologies offered as options in all the trucks.
On YouTube there’s a couple of videos where a ford work truck pulls a trailer and load at max GCWR and another where they do the same with a dodge. The ford has the 3.73 axle and the dodge has the 4.10. The ford does the hill in under 9 minutes and is doing 60 mph Throughout most of the hill. The dodge is over 13 minutes and is struggling to maintain 35mph, despite the shorter axle ratio and a theoretical horsepower advantage. Fuel economy is pretty much a wash with a slight advantage to the ford. There’s another video with a GM truck as well, but it’s less impartial due to differences in the truck that GM supplied. The ford is still quicker and faster, but Not quite apples to apples.
The stark difference between the ford and dodge is a result of the superior technology and engineering that ford has applied to the gas superduty. If the ford in the video had been equipped with the 4.3 axle, the differences would be even more apparent, with the ford doing the hill quicker yet with better economy. Ford has made the effort to match the engine and transmission to work seamlessly together. And something to note is that in an f350, the transmission is the same as they put in the diesel, but in the GM, the only way you get the Allison is to get the diesel. Dodge has historically been weak in the transmission area, and with the poor build quality and reliability of dodge products, you’d be crazy to consider one.
I have no experience with the gas GM’s towing, but I sure someone here can step up and relate their experiences.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a Ford F-250 6.2 and I love that thing, heavy truck definitely, but it pulls great, I pull a 5th wheel loaded with a 16ft boat behind it loaded with gear and truck has water,generator, camping stuff and it pulls great, the only time I didn't like it was when I pulled a 18ft flat deck with a zoom boom on it, I felt the truck was a little over it's boundary than and wouldn't do it again, but it seems built very well and would definitely buy another ford 6.2

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I have heard the 6.4 is really thirsty on fuel even for a heavy gas truck

I think it has MDS (multiple Displacement System). But still has a 100 Litre tank which will hurt its efficiency. Being a HD truck the fuel mileage does not need to be advertised. My 5.7. Was a pig on gas.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i say $10k option for a diesel you sure can burn a pile of gas for that.
Not entirely true. If you don't have the cash up front or need to finance, perhaps, but you don't just lose the $10k. You get most if not all of that back when you sell depending on a lot of other factors.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not entirely true. If you don't have the cash up front or need to finance, perhaps, but you don't just lose the $10k. You get most if not all of that back when you sell depending on a lot of other factors.
For most guys if they sell it before it is totally used up that may be true but FFR is a logger and his trucks likely get sold at auction as basically scrap metal if he's like any other loggers I know.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not necessarily true. If you sell within 3 years or so you get about 90% of that back. Past 3 years it drops off and at about 10 years you’re down to about 25-30% or less depending on make and mileage.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 hemi is the most gutless I've ever driven considering it's fuel usage. Trans sucked too. Geared too high coming out of the basement imo.

Couldn't agree more. Thought they might have a little power but no power and harder on fuel than anything I've ever driven.

iturch

Reaction score
For our company We have the option to run Ford,Chev or dodge. The truck I am driving now is the dodge 6.4 with 4.10 dif prior to that I had the 5.7 with 4.10 dif. Running empty the fuel mileage is very close to the same but when you hook up a 13,000 lbs trailer there is no comparison between the two. We just currently had a guy receive a Ford 6.2 with 4.30 dif it seems to pull well but is harder on fuel then the dodge and any of the Chev 6.0. The Chev has the nicest ride of the group but are not able to pull our heavier trailers.
chev 6.0 with 4.10 13,000 lb towing
dodge 6.4 with 4.10 15,500 lb towing
ford 6.2 with 4.30 15,000 lb towing
the fuel mileage on all 3 run around an average of 15-18 l/100 my suggestion is to drive what you like they all have good and bad

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I wrote in the other thread, we own all of the above, including 5.7 Tundra. If any of them seem gutless, then they're geared too high. 87 octane gas down here is only 2.06 per gallon now. A gas hog isn't that expensive to feed, and they're all gas hogs. Road Diesel is ~2.66. Yesterday I took a little trip in the '16 GMC 2500 4 door, long box. A little city driving, and then about 120 miles on the hiway at speeds mostly from 75 mph to 90 mph, passing every native I came up behind, and it registered 11.8 mpg. There really isn't a bad choice out there. GM and Tundra are the most user friendly, imo.

Top Bottom