On the Market For A New Quad

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Looking at purchasing a new quad, have two in mind, Can Am Renegade 1000(Base or XXC), and the Mud Pro 700. I have gotten price quotes from both dealers.

Can Am Renegade 1000 Base Model $12,086 (Taxes In) 2 Years Warranty
Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700i LTD $12,100 (Taxes in) 6 Months Warranty

The only difference between the two is that, with the Renegade 1000, i have to buy skid plates, mud guards, reciever, winch and mount, tires to get the same out of it as i would the stock mud pro. While the mud pro is heavier, and wont have as much power, but comes stock with heavy duty bumpers, winch, tires, hitch reciever, and snorkel.

I ride mostly in mud but often go into gravel pits/sand pits. Often making a good trip out of it.

For the renegade, i will be purchasing skid plates, black body panels, hitch receiver, mud guards, winch, and that all adds up, another $1,900 into it, and that's not including the 14" rims and mud tires to be able to play in the mud like the mud pro, and the racks for storage, and the heavy duty bumpers. The can am has the power though. But at a price.

Just looking for some other people's input, i don't care for brand loyal junkies opinions.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the mud pro is like is like any other Arctic cat atv I know of you will want the warranty.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Polaris ho 850? Very close to the canam in power (77 to 82) and it will out mud the Mud Pro anyday. Bang for the buck is hard to beat the 850`s.You can run anysize tire stock,no clutch kit.Will cost you less than the Cat or Canam !!

The renny and mud pro are at opposite ends of the spectrum ,thats for sure. However, the Canam is TWICE the bike of the mud pro. The handling of the Mudpro is pretty outdated compared to the other two. Power of the popo and canam is miles ahead of the 700 mud pro,as well.

If you want all out power the Canam will be tough to beat,at a higher cost mind you. Bang for the buck the 850 HO is the best buy........imo.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're considering a mud pro why not look at an Outlander XT? It has all the add-ons you want, it'll stomp the cat in terms of power, and you'll stand a much better chance of making it back to the truck under your own power.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sons and I used to fix those things for living,,,Yamahas seem to need the least amount of work..then Honda, then AC,then Kawi,,Polaris last.

I had a 85 Polaris 250 TRike for 10 yr,original belt,spark plug , great trike, now have Yamaha Kodiak..,5500 kms, same belt ..

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
have you looked at the polaris ho 850? Very close to the canam in power (77 to 82) and it will out mud the mud pro anyday. Bang for the buck is hard to beat the 850`s.you can run anysize tire stock,no clutch kit.will cost you less than the cat or canam !!

The renny and mud pro are at opposite ends of the spectrum ,thats for sure. However, the canam is twice the bike of the mud pro. The handling of the mudpro is pretty outdated compared to the other two. Power of the popo and canam is miles ahead of the 700 mud pro,as well.

If you want all out power the canam will be tough to beat,at a higher cost mind you. Bang for the buck the 850 ho is the best buy........imo.
x2 on the 850xp

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neville (rzrgade) sumed it up as good as it gets! for the price if your NOT into neat trick performance things, then get the popo.
For the price, its a super quad.. you can not compare the AC to the Can-am.. that is just laughable.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old Cat, great old machine!! However, I will not touch a new AC ATV, my next one will definitely be a can am...just my 2 cents!

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the mud pro was a great machine when it came out, I've since changed my mind after a riding buddy bought one and rode it all last summer, it handles like a tippy tank, I just sold my 800 Renegade xxc, it was a great machine but real crappy if you want to haul anything or try to stay clean but it had gobs of power, I don't see how you can even compare a renegade and a mud pro, not at all in the same class.

IMO, if you like the can am's, go with the xmr, should be the same or little cheaper than the mud pro, and comes ready to go out of the box. If your looking at saving a few bucks, go with the polaris xp 850, great ride and are a lot more reliable than the old polaris's of the past.

Another of my riding buddies bought the new 2012 outlander 800 with the new frame an after driving it, I have to say I think Can am has taken a step backwards in the handeling department in efforts to strengthen their frame, to bad.

Last edited:

2skis

Reaction score
DO NOT BUY A CAT MUDPRO, especially with only 6 month warranty. I owned one.Put 2 motors in , new complete wiring harness, new rad, 3 axle seals, winch actuator, 2 speed sensors i finally got rid of it. I even had enought trouble selling it, mine was a 2010, green one.While mine was in the shop there was one just like it with the motor gone too. Friend of mine has the 2011 orange, he is on 2nd motor, they put 3 ECU's in it and new instrument cluster. I honestly got scared to leave my yard with this thing. I bought myself a new yamaha 700 grizzly and could not be happier with it. SO 100% go for can-am and dont even waste your time with the cat you WILL be dissapointed....and I've had 3 cat quads!

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY A CAT MUDPRO, especially with only 6 month warranty. I owned one.Put 2 motors in , new complete wiring harness, new rad, 3 axle seals, winch actuator, 2 speed sensors i finally got rid of it. I even had enought trouble selling it, mine was a 2010, green one.While mine was in the shop there was one just like it with the motor gone too. Friend of mine has the 2011 orange, he is on 2nd motor, they put 3 ECU's in it and new instrument cluster. I honestly got scared to leave my yard with this thing. I bought myself a new yamaha 700 grizzly and could not be happier with it. SO 100% go for can-am and dont even waste your time with the cat you WILL be dissapointed....and I've had 3 cat quads!

2skis ur signature at the bottom cracked me up goood lol "
2008 M8, 2011 Grizzly 700, LEFT MY MUDPRO IN THE SLOUGH WHERE IT BELONGS!!
thats just AWESOME

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for all the replies, right now i have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. I'm very pleased with it and how it has been to me, but I'm looking for more power. I have never had any problems except a seal on the carb dripping, which was replaced under warranty. I like how it handles, and the chassis. Keeps me perfectly clean.

I do like the mudpro's how they handle, how they act, and how they drive. They are like my quad i have now, just with more power, and full snorkel, and a lift. I am very familiar with working on this chassis, belt changes, clutch work, engine work, carb work. It's all simple to me as i am familiar with it.

My concern with the can am, is how the clutches engage, i test drove one at the dealer, and i couldn't get it to have a smooth engagement, maybe it was me just not being familiar with the bike but, I don't really like that, it's hard on the drive-line. Another thing is that the belt exhaust, where it exists, the guys at the dealership told me that it was around knee/shin height, but everyone relocates it up by the intake. I want a full snorkel system on my quad, and the mud pro comes with one stock. Is there any kits out for the renegade that looks stock, and not make with PCV/ABS pipe? I HATE how it looks. I want a bike that's stock looking, and not hacked together. I want the extra insurance of having the snorkel.

How hard is it to water proof everything on a renegade? dielectric grease all the connections, fuses, seal all intake/exhaust/belt connections?

The reason i'm not interested in a polaris at all is because of the local dealership. If i ever go back there it would be too soon. I never want to give them my business ever again.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a stealth snorkel kit on a renagade is not very practical , on a outlander it would be functional . from the kind of riding you do the 1000 outy and the xmr are both a better choice , but i would wait untill they update the frame / motor on the xmr .

the xmr comes stk with a snorkel kit , its not quite as tall as the mudpro but its as tall as the pod .

if you get a canam, get one with power steering , well worth the $$ and it has a quicker engaging diff. (i was wondering why your prices were so close together )

Last edited:

2skis

Reaction score
2skis ur signature at the bottom cracked me up goood lol "
2008 M8, 2011 Grizzly 700, LEFT MY MUDPRO IN THE SLOUGH WHERE IT BELONGS!!
thats just AWESOME

Lol, glad you like it!

ippield, I also had a 2007 500, was a great machine mainly cause of the fact that it was NOT a cat motor in it!

Do what you like but i would make sure if you go with the mudpro you get 2 years warranty and live close to your dealer. I paid 12,900 cash for mine and sold it for 5800, so they dont hold there value.

Top Bottom