Help me choose: Oulander L 570 Hunter vs Grizzly EPS

Reaction score
I have come to the community to get some help on a very important decision. I am looking for a quad, primarily for hunting. I was looking to keep my budget to 10k (Canadian) but after taxes and accesories, I have moved that to 12k out the door.

Must haves are Winch, tires, heated grips, front bumper/bush guard

I really like the Grizzly but it comes in over budget It will also have upgraded Mud Lites, as opposed to the Hunter's Carlisle ACT HDs. The Outlander L Hunter however has front and rear bumpers and full skids plates and comes with the gun boot and gear clamps. Also, it is Camo which is a nice, yet unnecessary feature. In fact, I care nothing for the color. It can be anything really in my opinion.

The Yamaha won't have a rear bumper or skids plates to keep as close to budget as possible. Are skid plates and a rear bumper a deal breaker? I don't know.

Also, I looked at the Kodiak SE, however it is only $500 less than the Grizzly EPS.

So my best quotes thus far are $11 400 for the Can Am, and $12 300 for the Yamaha, out the door.

My gut is telling me to go Yamaha due to it's track record of quality and reliability. Am I right to believe this? Is it worth the $900 premium?

For the record, this will not be for "quad hunting", but to get my quad into some gnarly spots, so I can park it, and hike in the woods even further into those nice back country spots. Away from all those other guys that don't have the time of day to get off their quad to shoot an animal :p Utility and Reliability are the biggest factors.

Please weigh in and let me know what you guys and gals think.

Thanks

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Outlander is a nice machine but is going to be higher maintenance. You will chew up that $900 taking it in to clear all "maintenance required" messages on your display that appear at 500km, 1000km, etc...

The two machine are nearly identical in horsepower. The Grizzly will be lighter and have more ground clearance. The Grizzly has superior clutching but the rollers in the primary are held in place with gobs of grease which makes cleaning them up kind of a nasty job - that said, if you're not swamping it and riding in other people's dust day in and day out, you may only need to clean these up every couple of years. The Grizzly is much easier to work on.

If you're more performance oriented, my choice would definitely be an Outlander but not the 570. I love my 1000 for it's crazy power and the really nice suspension that comes with the XTP model, but I would never choose the 570 over a Grizzly 700.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 other people I hunt with use mud lites with no issues. Can you tell me why I shouldn't use them or suggest another tire?

The mud lites aren't that bad. There's just much better choices out there these days. If you're looking for a very light weight tire, the Maxxis Zilla (not Mud Zilla, just Zilla) is probably one of the most popular choices out there these days. I don't think you'd have many complaints with either as long as you stick to a 12" rim - you'll be blowing out the sidewalls on these tires all day long if you go to a 14" rim because of the narrow side wall.

I am very happy with 28" zillas, 10" wide on front and 12" in the rear. The Grizz can turn these easily, just make sure you use low range when you need to so you're not burning out you clutch. Alternatively, you can get a machined primary for about $250 (or a cheep shim if you're not worried about losing top end speed) - then you'll almost never have to worry about using low range at all.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tire advice. I am considering the zillas. I got quotes with the mud lites because every dealer stocks them so it's easy to compare.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are better off to buy them from a aftermarket supplier opposed to a dealer .. You will save a quite a few $$ , same with a winch & install.... Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The winch is coming installed stock right now on the grizzlys as a Yamaha promotion so that is a moot point. The Outlander Hunter comes standard with a winch also. They are both Warn 3000lbs. The winch is non issue at this point.

And yes, dealers will tend to be more expensive for tires, until you tell them that you won't give them $12000 unless they price them right.

Reaction score
You guys are aware that its $12300 with the Add on bush guard and the heated grips and mud lite tires.. It includes all the stupid little fees like freight, pdi etc, and It includes %5 tax. Also Canadian Dollars.

If this still seems like too much, please let me know. I have priced at 3 dealers so far, and by their reactions, $12300 seems like its getting tight on their end.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a year old ( new ) stock grizz , they have not changed in 8 years ... Put on your own winch and tires .....
But if you think 12000+ for a grizz is good , fly at it ...
Sorry , that seems like a lot for grizz.
Find a leftover and then price out what you are being charged for the extras ...?
Jmo though ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done trail repairs on about 4 machines, 3 of which were Mud Lites (plug lites)... they're not even great in mud, my zillas or mud bugs were way better and at the time cheaper.

How's the warranty? 3 yrs on can ams are nice. The reliability is dependent on how you ride them, both are solid picks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are aware that its $12300 with the Add on bush guard and the heated grips and mud lite tires.. It includes all the stupid little fees like freight, pdi etc, and It includes %5 tax. Also Canadian Dollars.

If this still seems like too much, please let me know. I have priced at 3 dealers so far, and by their reactions, $12300 seems like its getting tight on their end.
I don't know if you have already given them a chance but Terry @ T & T in Bonnyville is a fantastic dealer and will steer you in a good direction. I don't know what he has left for Yamaha quads but I know he's treated us and many of our friends right for quite some time now. Give them a chance 780-826-6121

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I second calling T&T.
And the mudlights.. they're ok. The zillas are lighter and better IMO.
And choice for me would be the 700 grizzly. Very reliable. I don't think your price is bad at all. I paid 10,600 for my 2007 brand new. Was 12,000 OTD with skid plates and tires and winch. Was 9 years ago as well

seen46

Reaction score
If utility and Reliability are your biggest factors and your just using it mostly for hunting than definitely Yamaha. but realistically the only problems the Can am has reliability wise over the Yamaha is clutch and belt life, bushings, stock brake pads, tie rods and the Visco-Lok can suck depending on your terrain. and the warranty is 6 months on the 2017 Can am's 2 years on the 2016's and 5 years on the 2016 L models.
If you want something that's a little more sport oriented more powerful and modern, than
definitely the can am. but i would step up to the 650 model. my local dealer has a left over 2016 650 XT for 10900 OTD.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got both my griz on Kijiji fully loaded each for almost a 1/3 of that cost,both with just 1400km...I just looked on there is wicked deals on 550 griz on there, that's good enough for what you need it for.

Top Bottom