Heavy handling of the turbo vs N/A help!!

bcjasonj

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the turbo feel very heavy and you really have to work hard to throw it around vs NA G4 doos? It almost feels like and OG rev chassis where the skis just want to stay planted and hard to initiate off camber. I love the power but just feels like 50lbs heavier in the handling vs the actual 16lbs. Coming off 20 165 Expert which I almost regret selling just because it felt so much better to ride in technical terrain. So in saying that if you have noticed this also what have you done and results? I've cranked up skid front shock preload to take some weight off front end, was debating throwing a can / exh on to kill 10lbs or so. I have springs front and rear turned pretty soft to keep the ski pressure low to help with the heavy feeling, but still not even close to what I thought it would be. Love it but can't believe it feels so much piggier vs my regular G4. Appreciate your input!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I notice very little difference between my NA and my turbo, to the point that It makes me wonder why, when I see comments like these.

I also ran the stock can on both, the turbo handles very well in the trees.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kid likes to huck the ole sled and he said the demo felt alot heavier also
i didnt notice it as much but opted not buy buy a new turbo yet

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed the opposite, very easy to throw around. With the extra HP this sled is a lot more nimble and sharp, not cumbersome at all.

Same findings here, I find the extra power can make it dance a lot easier when you need too. Perhaps you have some suspension adjustments that are effecting the weight on the skis. Try loosening the limiter a bit

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said the exact same thing when i got mine last year. Feels heavier in the front and tossing it side to side. I always took the t motion out of my G4’s, the turbo I left it alone.

edit, I have the limiter strap full out. It pulls the front easy and goes like crazy, but the side to side isn’t as nimble. Possibly the extra weight of the turbo on the top, centre of gravity is taller?

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Xpert transfers more, more ski lift than the turbo sled.
I pin the throttle on the turbo and it comes up a bit, but i can feel the rear shock stop compressing like it has a brake in it...haha. there is almost like a rubber spacer on the shock shaft as a stroke damper.
But get on the xpert and it has good ski lift. I can feel the bumper behind me, squat when gassing on it.
What i would like to do to test is simply take the rear shocks and switch them; xpert for turbo.

bcjasonj

Reaction score
I think the Xpert transfers more, more ski lift than the turbo sled.
I pin the throttle on the turbo and it comes up a bit, but i can feel the rear shock stop compressing like it has a brake in it...haha. there is almost like a rubber spacer on the shock shaft as a stroke damper.
But get on the xpert and it has good ski lift. I can feel the bumper behind me, squat when gassing on it.
What i would like to do to test is simply take the rear shocks and switch them; xpert for turbo.

Funny I did swap my susp out of my expert! So I feel like I've already eliminated that variable. But not sure what the stock X shock would have felt like. I almost think they increased the spring rate in the skid but I could be crazy but feels pretty stiff in setting 1.

bcjasonj

Reaction score
I said the exact same thing when i got mine last year. Feels heavier in the front and tossing it side to side. I always took the t motion out of my G4’s, the turbo I left it alone.

edit, I have the limiter strap full out. It pulls the front easy and goes like crazy, but the side to side isn’t as nimble. Possibly the extra weight of the turbo on the top, centre of gravity is taller?

Ok good to know I'm not alone! Lol yeah I just can't believe it would make that much of a difference. I took sway bar link out and gonna try that, typically hated how NA G4 handles with these out but may help Initiate better! Going tomm again and will see if it helps! Appreciate the feedback!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's ur point? I now have a question I can't find an answer to? Isn't that what this is for? Or should I aspire to live in online forums and become a VIP like u lol.

Don't worry about it. It is a conspiracy of doo lovers that gang up and discredit anyone who says anything that could come across as negative about their beloved G4. I'm sure he searched for your past posts to try and dig dirt up on you and couldn't find any. Fact is the turbo is heavier but most guys ride open bowls and meadows and that type of riding lets the machine do all the work. A can is the way to go once you are sure the one you chose is going to flow equally to the factory can so it is undetectable to the software that will tell your dealer to void warranty.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How small of a human are ya fella? I had folks of all brand loyalties and all sizes on the demo last year and nobody mentioned anything about it feeeling heavy, quite the opposite if anything. This year I've put 4 days on my '21 and I have to say it feels even more nimble than the 20.5's. So either eat some more steak or let your limiter out a hole I guess if need be. I can't fathom how anyone that's ever rode a snowmobile before in their lives could possibly complain about the factory turbo feeling front heavy, unless your a ride and toke kinda guy, in which case, go buy an elan.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How small of a human are ya fella? I had folks of all brand loyalties and all sizes on the demo last year and nobody mentioned anything about it feeeling heavy, quite the opposite if anything. This year I've put 4 days on my '21 and I have to say it feels even more nimble than the 20.5's. So either eat some more steak or let your limiter out a hole I guess if need be. I can't fathom how anyone that's ever rode a snowmobile before in their lives could possibly complain about the factory turbo feeling front heavy, unless your a ride and toke kinda guy, in which case, go buy an elan.

So I read posts that are completely opposite. I doubt he is 90 lbs soaking wet, more likely it is a suspension thing or maybe they just feel heavy in certain snow conditions? I do know last season the G4's were struggling more in the Spring mashed potatoes.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m just gona throw my two cents in......I love the race spindles. Easy to swap and increase the ease of weight transfer. If you did the change make sure you got a good rear skid shock

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You completely missed the point of his post. The 850T would feel like a tooth pick compared to your pro climb. That wasn’t the point.

In technical terrain, turbo feels a bit more top heavy than the na g4. It’s not about body size, it’s about the balance of the machine top down. If you’re a guy that puts a can on and can’t feel the imbalance, you won’t get his post.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It is a conspiracy of doo lovers that gang up and discredit anyone who says anything that could come across as negative about their beloved G4. I'm sure he searched for your past posts to try and dig dirt up on you and couldn't find any. Fact is the turbo is heavier but most guys ride open bowls and meadows and that type of riding lets the machine do all the work. A can is the way to go once you are sure the one you chose is going to flow equally to the factory can so it is undetectable to the software that will tell your dealer to void warranty.
Good job Colombo. Exactly what I did,his first post on the forum and I went and looked at his history of posts to dig some dirt upon him. You caught me that was brilliant��. Just having a little fun here as it's odd the first post in 10 years of membership was a complaint about the sled sounds like it's justifiable so everybody can relax. But teth air I think you should get into undercover investigations you would be very very good at it����

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A can is not the way to go. Whats the current ski pressure weight of the turbo with the stock muffler on it?
IF the original poster is used to riding doo sleds with cans on them, they turn way easier to the left with a aftermarket muffler on.

Top Bottom