Notable Difference

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering for all of you who ride the mountains, is there a notable difference in preformance and floatation from a 154'' track to a 163'' or is that just a my gun is bigger than your gun type of deal.:i_need_snow:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes there is a notable differance in floatation but a decrease in manuverability so it what do you want to do,climb or boondock,find a happy medium and make it work for you!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found the longer track and better floatation has actually helped boondocking in the trees and the length not an issue is you know how to turn. Definitely go with the shorter length if you are into jumping or dropping cornices as I've also seen lots of bent rails with the longer tracks doing what they shouldn't.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have never went to a 163, but from a 144 to 154 was night and day in powder snow. don't hear many complaints from those going to a longer track of any size. you may feel some pushing with turns, but i'm thinking you can compensate. been thinking of the same thing myself.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found the longer track and better floatation has actually helped boondocking in the trees and the length not an issue is you know how to turn. Definitely go with the shorter length if you are into jumping or dropping cornices as I've also seen lots of bent rails with the longer tracks doing what they shouldn't.
Agree 100%.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It also helps if your not a 16 year old girl............Just sayin,not that big of a deal for a full grown man,even little ones LOL!

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about what track length to get when i can actually get a machine I can take to the mountains and go riding with in at least 3 - 4 ft of powder.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well you can never have to many opinions and you will get lots on here.
catmando!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have 3 sleds, all different tracks, 141, 154, 162 and yes there are differences, but last year was my first serious time in the mountains and I will admit, I couldnt tell at first, but by the end of the season, I could tell the difference. We also never had great snow conditions. We have had all 3 sleds out this year in some serious snow and I will admit greater flotaion for sure with the 162, but I have been real happy on the 154. My daughter rides the 162, and she has no problems with it...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think everyone knows my opinion on the matter. i can put a 163 in some prtty tight places. hell even the 174.

the 163 i beleive to be the best all around mountain sled. and i ride ALOT. the 154 is what most people would chose but thats because they own them. anyone who has a decent amount of seat time on any of the track lengths will tell you the 163 is the only way to go.

turning radius is the only thing effected and even then its minmal.

maneuverability? watch my videos.

when it gets steep and deep the fun factor of the 163 is way higher than the 154 or less.

and no your 154 or 146 cant go where a 163 will go. yes it will get there eventually and you wont be left in the dust but on a fresh track it just doesnt happen.

this season so far the least amoutn of snow ive ridden was about 2' and the most was damn near 4' and i sure was happy to have the 163..as everyone else was having a hard time making it off the lake

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my opinion is with a 163 if you need good flotation it is there and you also have track to spare for some of those not as deep days 154 is good but if you really need that little bit extra flotation it isnt there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I like what Maxwell says. I have both; a 154 and a 163. The 163 is soo much better in the trees and with the fresh that we have this year it is awesome!

For those who say the long tracks aren't as manoeuvrable while boondocking need a little more time on the longer track and they will be impressed.

Just friggin' awesome this week....

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 234

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you do both trial riding and mountain would you get a 163 or 154?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess the 154? i would still go with the 163 personally because i hate underperforming in the hills but i think the 163 is a bit overkill for the trails

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm probably 275# all ready to go on my best day, and with a tunnel bag and a jug of fuel.....oh yeah 163 x 16 is niiiice, and we do a lot of boondocking, trees are not my friends, and I wouldn't go any smaller again. If you are closer to $1.50, you will probably do better on a 154, since I think you will probably maintain higher track speed when you are climbing.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another take,

The more track you get, the less fun. A bitter shorter track can be a bit more fun as long as you know how to ride them without getting stuck.

Also, if you get a crazy long track you end up having to go up crazy steep stuff just to find a challenge and that can also get dangerous.

I have a 154" and some times I think it's a bit too long. Yes it's nice and forgiving but less fun. Unless I am in serous silly powderer I actually have more fun on the wifes 137".

I remember the old days when we all had light short tracks and we had a blast in a quarter section. With these big machines now you have to cover a lot of ground to get the same satisfaction.

I guess it all depends on how hard you want to push it.

Top Bottom