Bathroom Tile Question

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to tile my bathroom shower surround or tub surround I guess. On the Control side of the tub I really only got 34” and on the non-control side I can go to whatever which will be 36”.
I’m just wondering once I get both sides done if somebody would actually notice the 2 inch difference from wall to wall. Or? Even with around curtain rod in place?
I would like to do this because my tiles are 12 x 24 and it would make sense to me.

What are your thoughts?
IMG_9628.jpeg
IMG_9629.jpeg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of thinking for future resale and just the aesthetics of it

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of time to look while sitting on the crapper, Id make both sides have the same lip past the edge of the tub on both sides. The inside against the wall ends will be tougher to notice any imperfections.
I understand that, absolutely. But on the crapper side where the controls are, unless you look down hard to your left, or standing and peeing the toilet, and the surface mount medicine cabinet will hide that edge.

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
generally you want a return to the floor in tile on both sides. Especially if your using a curtain. The water will trace down the edge of the tub and rot the wall board in no time. A good tile setter will spit the difference from the middle of the wall so your salvage cuts will be equal. A re you doing a straght lay or brick lay? Say 50/50 or 1/3 split? if 1/3 then you can hide lots.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
with that toilet configuration if your taking a Sh*t you look at one side, if your taking a P*ss your looking at the other side. can never see both sides at the same time LOL
Thanks Sean 🍺🍺

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
generally you want a return to the floor in tile on both sides. Especially if your using a curtain. The water will trace down the edge of the tub and rot the wall board in no time. A good tile setter will spit the difference from the middle of the wall so your salvage cuts will be equal. A re you doing a straght lay or brick lay? Say 50/50 or 1/3 split? if 1/3 then you can hide lots.
Without a doubt, ill be going from floor to ceiling. T-bar ceiling grid layout is the same lay

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If floor to ceiling thats a good way to go you could always cut around the cabinet so you can get the return to the floor and then just schluter to the bottom of the cabinet and then the same on top. or sometimes its easier to just continue behind the toilet and up to make thing work.

Top Bottom