Non Ethanol Premium Fuel Alberta and Western Canada

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at a Costco station the other day. Noticed the premium did not have a sticker stating the "may contain up to...". Asked the attendant standing there what she knew about Costco fuels and if the premium contained ethanol. She was very confident in her answer that the premium did not contain ethanol. Said it was one of the things she knew 10

I was at a Costco station the other day. Noticed the premium did not have a sticker stating the "may contain up to...". Asked the attendant standing there what she knew about Costco fuels and if the premium contained ethanol. She was very confident in her answer that the premium did not contain ethanol. Said it was one of the things she knew 100%.
i don't believe her.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at a Costco station the other day. Noticed the premium did not have a sticker stating the "may contain up to...". Asked the attendant standing there what she knew about Costco fuels and if the premium contained ethanol. She was very confident in her answer that the premium did not contain ethanol. Said it was one of the things she knew 100%.
I filled up with premium about 2 weeks ago at St.Albert Costco and the "May contain up to 10% Ethanol" sticker was in plain view on the premium side. I guess there is no consistency.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicles gaslines freezing up on regualar gas and rough running.

I switch to premium, never had problems with regular gas in the past. 20 years.

Maybe, but I dunno about that. Definitely a possibility.

I have not experienced that, even at work and we run all regular gas.
Maybe it’s a case where certain people were gassing up when a fuel truck was there delivering a load?
Big no no. I also look for evidence if a truck was just there, I know how much water is in the bottom of those tanks.
My wife parks in the heated garage, she knows if her tank is not full, her vehicle stays outside or moisture will form on the tank air space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I dunno about that. Definitely a possibility.

I have not experienced that, even at work and we run all regular gas.
Maybe it’s a case where certain people were gassing up when a fuel truck was there delivering a load?
Big no no. I also look for evidence if a truck was just there, I know how much water is in the bottom of those tanks.
My wife parks in the heated garage, she knows if her tank is not full, her vehicle stays outside or moisture will form on the tank air space.

Methyl hydrate is your friend. Dump a bit in every now and then and it will take care of the water. Or seafoam. No need to leave the car outside.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be false advertising but this is the pumps by my place.
It's what is going in the Poo this winter.

I might be in the kaboom thread later.

Attachments

• 20221226_163609.jpg
    20221226_163609.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 159

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m almost certain I read some testing articles about chevron 94 saying that they get the extra points of octane from ethanol. That was a few years ago tho. I think I’m going to buy a tester.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m almost certain I read some testing articles about chevron 94 saying that they get the extra points of octane from ethanol. That was a few years ago tho. I think I’m going to buy a tester.

BC Chevron 94 pumps have had the e-free stickers for many years. TBD if the new legislation has affected it.

I tested the Tempo marked 91 I bought last week. Still 0%

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those want to test if fuel has ethanol themselves, its pretty easy and you don't need any special equipment.

All you need is a small clear bottle. Somewhere between a shot glass and a mickey in size. Tall and skinny like a vial is best. Plastic is fine.
Fill it about 1/4 with water and 3/4 with fuel. Exact ratio doesn't matter.
Mark the WATER level accurately. (bottom layer)
Shake for about a minute then let it sit and completely separate for about 5 minutes.
If the water level increased at all, then the fuel contains ethanol. The increase will be small, hence the skinny bottle and accurate marking.
That's all there is to it.

If you want to know the exact percentage of ethanol, there are pre-made bottles with the markings that corelate to the percentages. You can also use something precise like a graduated cylinder and do the math - it's pretty simple.
Both can be had on amazon or ebay for $10-30.

Last edited:

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hope that's right! They are putting in a Chevron in Stony Plain! Where the old Gasland and then Husky used to be, next to Safeway and Shoppers.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My pump in Edson says the same. Ive been running ethanol 94 in my previous turbo, my new on is getting chevron 94 if she likes it or not. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom