Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I dropped my Stihl chain saw at Timberland Supply for service because I would start it, it would run for a 30-45 seconds then quit, then repeat. I have had it for about 7 years. But wasn't a heavy user of the unit. Got a call today with the news, fuel filter dirty, carb needs replaced, compression low due to scores in cylinders. This was related to fuel, they said you need to put real good fuel in them and its only good for a month or so due to ethanol. He said Shell premium is best as it has low ethanol. The ethanol topic has been discussed many times. The repairs are more than the saw is worth so I will have a parts unit I guess, or toss it. I'll grab a new one and put better fuel I guess. The warrantee stuff, I wont waste my time on, they give you 5 extra years if you buy there oil. That aspen fuel is $10 for 1 liter that is expensive, what's strange is that is sold in a plastic container, so how good is that. What have you done over the years to sustain your saws life and keep it in good shape? Need to find fuel with NO ethanol. Was always happy with the saw though, and ill put better fuel in my blower and weed trimmer as well, don't need them craping out.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 strokes like high octane - I run shellbourne oil from Ontario mixed @ 40 :1 and I buy either 91 shell or 91 co-OP- I take the wife's ridgeline to the pumps - pump 10L into that miled out hoor and then the little gerry can gets er - then I spike my 91 with shellbourne octane booster concentrate to 96 - the fuel lasts probably a year - I run it in everything - chainsaw/leaf blower - anything 2 stroke

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a stihl saw I bought in 1998 still has original engine, stihl leave blower, stihl weed whacker and bigger stihl chain saw, approximately 10 years old on the other 3. Only stihl 2 stroke oil and Shell Premium. I leave them with gas in all year long and never an issue.
Bar oil I go to CT and get medium, as my saws do get used in the winter

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put stabil in the fuel each time I mix a jug, go through about 1-1.5 gallons a year and mix every second year, abouts.
Just use regular and never an issue.
Shell Premium is probably by far the best pump fuel to use(Wonder what leaded LL100 would do? No ethanol.).
My Husky 61 is supposed to have 32:1 - it has always been fed 25:1.
I have worn out 2X20" roller tip bars and guessing 10 chains???? - Same piston since 1988, that's right 1988 - I swear by the stabil and extra oil!!!.
Stay away from ethanol if possible
Keep your air filter clean

Last edited:

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use shell premium only in all my 2 strokes, stihl oil and mix a jerry. I have a few of the 4L steel fuel cans from them and fill them up for storage.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Been using the STIHL Premix fuel in the larger can in my chainsaw and weed whip for 2 years now, they run way nicer on it, and it's super convenient. Maybe a little bit more money, but they say it lasts way better!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Premium with no ethanol and any good quality 2 stroke oil. Cutting 8-10 cords a year for 3 stoves and a fire pit. No problem with the older 032 Stihl (this one is 30 years old and still working well), the 361 Still (about 8-10 years old and hasn't skipped a beat), and the little 171 Still (maybe 8 years old and is a great little saw for limbing, etc.). Lots of brush clearing on the trails and cutting wind blown trees on our property.

I found the 2 newer saws didn't like working in the heat of the day. They would vapour lock and take forever to start. Always had to lay them in the shade and even then they might be hard to start. If I couldn't start them, I would bring thing home, set them on the concrete floor in the shop and the next morning start just like new.

Never really babied them but kept them clean and sharp.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never have had a single problem with my motors since switching to aspen fuel, two outboards ..one never started in 9 years but fired right up because it was stored with aspen, weed eater has never run better since switch, pressure washer, rototillers, generator, small blower finally runs great ..that thing used to always f-up with that **** fuel. And you always know your mixed perfectly 50:1. Quit pissing around and buy good fuel..way cheaper in the long run. Oh i forgot the two chainsaws as well.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good oil I think would save your motor if you had "bad fuel" - ask yourselves this - why does amsoil saber say good to use at 100:1 and amsoil dominator says 50:1 - 2 oil's made by the same company - once you get the answer yourselves - then and only then will you understand

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Stihl oil and mix with regular gas.

Only 5 litres at a time. Try not to keep it long.

Also is Aspen fuel.

Zero issues with either gas or Aspen

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to burn enough fuel that I just used shell 91 and good oil but the power equipment doesn't get used nearly as much now so I've switched to the VP premixed fuel and I'm really happy with it so far.
For the saw buy it from a local saw shop not the big box retailer.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aspen , The premixed gas or premium and good oil mixed .
Sea foam added as well if not running great .

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been running saws for long long time, premium fuel, good name brand oil, measured oil mixture(no guessing) fuel stabilizer if not going to be used regularly. clean the crud out of fuel tank and fuel can regular also. where do you think all that crud goes. keep it clean, keep your fingers of the carb screws. cleanliness is important.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your spark plug out and look at the top of your piston if black running to rich take a couple of ounces of seafoam put it the tank run for about an hour will smoke then look at the top of your piston should be nice and clean if people would just read there manual it says to use only 91 octane fuel without ethanol worked on ones that all they used was purple gas they didn’t save very much after they got the bill for repairs the old saying more oil is better not on the new 2 strokes with computer carbs

Top Bottom