Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that stuff the same as True fuel? Does it say on the back of the can whats in it?

not sure but the cheap man pays twice.... We make fuel here every day and there's more to it than people think.... just adding snake oil isn't always the answer.... I do trust sea foam though

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting diagnosis.

Id like to see a pic of this scoring.
Im wondering, did they check to see if the spark arrestor is carboned up??? That will cause extremely poor running and hard starting.

A carboned up decompression valve can cause low compression.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like all the advise. I am looking at the Husqvarna 460 Rancher now as well. Where is best to buy one.

You said you don’t use it too much. Have you considered a battery power saw?

I have a Dewalt 60 volt that has been impressive. I do have a husky gas saw that I will break out if I was cutting all day. But the Dewalt will easily take down and buck up one or 2 trees on a single battery and is awesome in the back of the sxs.

My opinion of timberland has gone down hill. Not sure they even take the motors apart or just feed you the same carb/cylinder story and sell you a new saw. I’ve also brought a few small engines back to life with “Laser” brand top end rebuild kits that are under $100, not loosing much if the other option is to just through the old saw away!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only Stihl 2 stroke oil and premium (shell) gas as per the manual. Very important to make the fuel mixture precise or even a little heavier on the oil side. I repaired a buddies saw that accidentally ran it with straight gas, holy scored piston and jug.
X2 on the spark arrestor I cut a lot of wood and I clean mine at least twice a season.
The new Stihl pro saws have computer controlled carbs. It’s called m-Tronic and I love it on the MS241C-M. Best firewood saw I’ve ever had 43cc but cuts way bigger.
5a5abbab46e771427546c1eb72b3c7be.jpg

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dropped my Stihl chain saw at Timberland Supply for service because I would start it, it would run for a 30-45 seconds then quit, then repeat. I have had it for about 7 years. But wasn't a heavy user of the unit. Got a call today with the news, fuel filter dirty, carb needs replaced, compression low due to scores in cylinders. This was related to fuel, they said you need to put real good fuel in them and its only good for a month or so due to ethanol. He said Shell premium is best as it has low ethanol. The ethanol topic has been discussed many times. The repairs are more than the saw is worth so I will have a parts unit I guess, or toss it. I'll grab a new one and put better fuel I guess. The warrantee stuff, I wont waste my time on, they give you 5 extra years if you buy there oil. That aspen fuel is $10 for 1 liter that is expensive, what's strange is that is sold in a plastic container, so how good is that. What have you done over the years to sustain your saws life and keep it in good shape? Need to find fuel with NO ethanol. Was always happy with the saw though, and ill put better fuel in my blower and weed trimmer as well, don't need them craping out.

What model saw is it ?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

What model saw is it ?

I’ll check when I’m home I’m thinking MS250. I’m going to grab a 460 husky. I have a fair amout of trees to cut up. I bought a smaller saw for backup but it’s too small for cutting these trees up. Electric unit would be good in the side by side. Lows even sell them I see and they have sales that you spend 400 you get $75 off occasionally. I’ll see what timberland wants too.

This video shows a lot, quite convincing.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0mSoTN6HE

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 80 volt greenworks is equivalent to a 45cc saw and bucks up one or two trees as well.

I have the 60volt greeworks with two batteries and it has become the go to saw for light to medium work.
So light and easy to use and for hunting you will never "oops" andsmell like gas.
Great in the SXS for clearing trails. Just so quiet for a chain saw.
My daughter now likes to help with the wood cutting as per picture below.

Ron these are great saws and an 80v would be lots with two batteries.
More money than a gasser with a second battery but hey no old fuel or even fuel to mix and 2 stroke rebuilds.
I have knocked down and bucked up 20"green poplars.

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use shell premium and seafoam. I just bought that aspen fuel and hated it.
My sthil saw, leaf blower, and weed eater ran like crap on it. Would idle and hard starting, with lots of two stroke smell. Might try the sthil gas.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

Take your spark plug out and look at the top of your piston if black running to rich take a couple of ounces of seafoam put it the tank run for about an hour will smoke then look at the top of your piston should be nice and clean if people would just read there manual it says to use only 91 octane fuel without ethanol worked on ones that all they used was purple gas they didn’t save very much after they got the bill for repairs the old saying more oil is better not on the new 2 strokes with computer carbs

Black piston can be from running lean to. But to much oil isn’t good either. Really depends on the oil you have and what it was designed to be mixed at

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

I’ll check when I’m home I’m thinking MS250. I’m going to grab a 460 husky. I have a fair amout of trees to cut up. I bought a smaller saw for backup but it’s too small for cutting these trees up. Electric unit would be good in the side by side. Lows even sell them I see and they have sales that you spend 400 you get $75 off occasionally. I’ll see what timberland wants too.

This video shows a lot, quite convincing.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0mSoTN6HE
I had a 455 Rancher with 20” bar for about 5 years and cut about 5-6 cords a year with no issues. Great saw with good torque band. I think the 460 is slightly bigger or else the newer version.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

Check out your local Husqvarna dealer for a 460 before you buy at a big box store. I bought my 550xp from the dealer for the same price as Canadian Tire wants for a 455 Rancher.

I run avgas in my saw and weedwacker mixed with Husqvarna XP+ oil. Runs good so far. But now that we have ethanol free 94 octane at the Chevron a few blocks from my house I might start using that.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Like all the advise. I am looking at the Husqvarna 460 Rancher now as well. Where is best to buy one.
How much sawing do you plan on doing. The rancher is a good saw for camping and cutting some firewood here and there but if you plan on cutting a lot buy a commercial grade saw.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much sawing do you plan on doing. The rancher is a good saw for camping and cutting some firewood here and there but if you plan on cutting a lot buy a commercial grade saw.

The Rancher line is more than adequate for most needs outside of full time commercial use. My dad, uncle and a family friend all heat primarily with wood and have 10-15 year old 455 Ranchers that contradict the above statement.

A well maintained Rancher will survive more use than the vast majority of users can put them through.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run Shell 91 in all my small engines after a few ruined carbs, no issues since.

Definitely going electric on my next chainsaw. No screwing around with gas is well worth it for how rarely I use it.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl ms250. Find it quite adequate for most cutting. Big green poplar will make it work but I also took 4 file strokes off every raker of my carbide chain. So it’s fairly aggressive and bites hard. Don’t have to push just let weight of saw do work. I find it good size saw as light enough for pruning branches or to have on ladder dropping tree in tight quarters but power for bucking 16” spruce. ( older model with 18” bar ) Premium petro can from my tank and Stihl oil. Made a magnetic 16” marking tool so then I can just hold er wide and buck wood. Prob cut 2 cords a year either winter or summer. Been trouble free knock on wood
The carbide is few more bucks to have sharpened but lasts 5x longer between sharpens. Can’t sharpen myself is downfall

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple more battery tools that have replaced my gas shat! The 2 stihls are currently plugged up and start but don’t run well. Was using shell premium and stihl oil.

I’ve had pretty good luck with gas but it’s a pain when fawks up. I have fawked many battery tools too! But it’s just easier if your not using it full tilt all day, or if your using the tool intermittently. If you already have a brand of tools you use, you build up a bunch of batteries and can run steady all day no prob. With a battery chain saw you just have to remember to stop and fill up the chain oil
!

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple more battery tools that have replaced my gas shat! The 2 stihls are currently plugged up and start but don’t run well. Was using shell premium and stihl oil.

I’ve had pretty good luck with gas but it’s a pain when fawks up. I have fawked many battery tools too! But it’s just easier if your not using it full tilt all day, or if your using the tool intermittently. If you already have a brand of tools you use, you build up a bunch of batteries and can run steady all day no prob. With a battery chain saw you just have to remember to stop and fill up the chain oil
!

We recently had 3 big trees dropped at cabin. We’re extremely close to buildings and leaning so hired a professional to climb and drop them in pieces
He went to cordless saw for climbing has been using since spring. Same weight as his little limb saw but not having to start way up tree is best part. Said he’s quite happy with battery life from it. Running all husqavarna equipment

Top Bottom