Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

https://youtu.be/hT0mSoTN6HE

Not a very fair comparison. Stihl uses safety chain on new saws, and the guy says factory chains. . It cuts like crap and the first thing I do is swap it out. Put a real chain on the Stihl then do a comparison.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

Not a very fair comparison. Stihl uses safety chain on new saws, and the guy says factory chains. . It cuts like crap and the first thing I do is swap it out. Put a real chain on the Stihl then do a comparison.

I agree, same as that other vid there is to many variables in the comparison.
Stihl chains are horrible, I didn’t like them 20 years ago. Oregon chains and bars Is my preferred brand, bigger teeth and cut faster.
My 046 magnum has a chain that takes a 7/32 file.
I have a 254 xp husky as well, both of these saws are over 20 years old and run well.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

I found the opposite. Oregon bars are fine but I don't like their chain. I would buy stihl chain from the local shop who had it in bulk. It held an edge longer than the oregon chain.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I never heard him mention chains once, nice of him to take apart two brand new saws with 4 hours running on both. Carbon wear after 4 hours of running on standard fuel !!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I found the opposite. Oregon bars are fine but I don't like their chain. I would buy stihl chain from the local shop who had it in bulk. It held an edge longer than the oregon chain.

holding a edge is up to how the saw is filed for the wood being cut, and the user. Unless something has changed, I could not get the life out a stihl chain, like I could with a Oregon when hand sharpening.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an MS170 for the side by side, camping, etc. I used to run the STIHL premix, in my leaf blower, saw and weed eater and it worked excellent. Now that we have a couple of Chevron’s in town, I’ve switched to 94 non ethanol for every small engine I own. With a touch of Sea Foam added, everything runs better than ever.
My saw doesn’t get used much, and I’m seriously considering the Milwaukee cordless, since all of my electric tools are MW. But damn, they are pricey.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

holding a edge is up to how the saw is filed for the wood being cut, and the user. Unless something has changed, I could not get the life out a stihl chain, like I could with a Oregon when hand sharpening.
I wasn't much good at hand sharpening but I did my best to touch it up once per tank of fuel as I was using it. Once it was dull I had the shop sharpen it and the stihl chain went longer than the oregon before needing to be sharpened.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most places wont even sharpen them anymore. Buy a carbide tipped chain and dont worry about sharpening, i replace it once a year or 2 years. They hold up much much longer.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never heard him mention chains once, nice of him to take apart two brand new saws with 4 hours running on both. Carbon wear after 4 hours of running on standard fuel !!!

He says” both factory chains sharpened by the same person”. Stihl factory ” safety” chains suck. Designed to stop kickback not cut wood.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
The Rancher line is more than adequate for most needs outside of full time commercial use. My dad, uncle and a family friend all heat primarily with wood and have 10-15 year old 455 Ranchers that contradict the above statement.

A well maintained Rancher will survive more use than the vast majority of users can put them through.
I have a rancher 455 that’s about 10years old. Great saw still runs great and works perfect for poplar around the acreage and sawing camping wood. I can do 3 times the wood though with my 365 and when your doing 10-15 cords of birch and fir a year you definitely notice the time saved with the real saw. That’s all I’m saying, not trying to put down the rancher at all.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He says” both factory chains sharpened by the same person”. Stihl factory ” safety” chains suck. Designed to stop kickback not cut wood.

Could you tell me at what time in that minute and a half video you heard him mention factory chain or any chain for that matter..... Oh i found it, i guess you had been drinking, that quote was from the video before mine.....Not Mine!! At 1 minute 10 seconds of comparing husky and stihl saws. Nothing to do with comparing Aspen fuel to regular fuel.

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

Lol no I was talking about the Stihl husky video. I quoted the wrong vid sorry for the confusion. No drink just not paying attention.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hopefully people payed attention to where he pointed out the wear on the piston with just 4 hours running on regular fuel.... wholly crap that is shocking. You should not need any more proof than that on which fuel you should be using.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a rancher 455 that’s about 10years old. Great saw still runs great and works perfect for poplar around the acreage and sawing camping wood. I can do 3 times the wood though with my 365 and when your doing 10-15 cords of birch and fir a year you definitely notice the time saved with the real saw. That’s all I’m saying, not trying to put down the rancher at all.

That's fine, there's a reason they make bigger saws than a 455. But if someone has to ask what saw to buy odds are they don't need a professional saw. IMO they'd be better off spending their time learning to sharpen a chain, more hp or cc's don't mean squat if the cutters are dull.

10-15 cords is a lot of wood, my wood stove runs daily and I only burnt 4 cords last winter.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You should see what the 480 cuts on a tank fuel. And stihl chain.

Last edited:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
That's fine, there's a reason they make bigger saws than a 455. But if someone has to ask what saw to buy odds are they don't need a professional saw. IMO they'd be better off spending their time learning to sharpen a chain, more hp or cc's don't mean squat if the cutters are dull.

10-15 cords is a lot of wood, my wood stove runs daily and I only burnt 4 cords last winter.
wood fired hot tub, cabin, my house and my shop is all heated with wood. That hot tub really soaks it up.
BF492279-E447-4662-B86C-B0517CB2E0E4.jpeg

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stihl Chain Saws & Fuel

I dropped my Stihl chain saw at Timberland Supply for service because I would start it, it would run for a 30-45 seconds then quit, then repeat. I have had it for about 7 years. But wasn't a heavy user of the unit. Got a call today with the news, fuel filter dirty, carb needs replaced, compression low due to scores in cylinders. This was related to fuel, they said you need to put real good fuel in them and its only good for a month or so due to ethanol. He said Shell premium is best as it has low ethanol. The ethanol topic has been discussed many times. The repairs are more than the saw is worth so I will have a parts unit I guess, or toss it. I'll grab a new one and put better fuel I guess. The warrantee stuff, I wont waste my time on, they give you 5 extra years if you buy there oil. That aspen fuel is $10 for 1 liter that is expensive, what's strange is that is sold in a plastic container, so how good is that. What have you done over the years to sustain your saws life and keep it in good shape? Need to find fuel with NO ethanol. Was always happy with the saw though, and ill put better fuel in my blower and weed trimmer as well, don't need them craping out.

@rknight111
If you want to get rid of the ms250 I will take it off your hands.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use shell premium and seafoam. I just bought that aspen fuel and hated it.
My sthil saw, leaf blower, and weed eater ran like crap on it. Would idle and hard starting, with lots of two stroke smell. Might try the sthil gas.

Thats because the crap is coming out of the carburetor, once you get passed that it runs great. It can take awhile first though.

Top Bottom