Ethanol in all grades of fuel

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that Trudeau has forced 10% ethanol to be added to all Canadian fuels as of November 1st 2022, are you worried about your 2 stroke motor?
I'm sure it is not good for any 2 stroke and probably worse for turbos?? Or maybe not? Anyway I have a Polaris and they have an Ethanol mode but what happens when Trudeau wants to go to 15% ethanol? How much can these sleds handle? The Government of Canada website says they do not expect to notice any pollution reductions and at the same time they also say they will continue to make fuels cleaner and cleaner over time. I don't like it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, most engines are designed to run on 10% ethanol. It’s just going to decrease fuel economy.

According to that twit in the east, fossil fuels will be banned in 2050 in Canada, and the rest of the world will prosper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, most engines are designed to run on 10% ethanol. It’s just going to decrease fuel economy.

According to that twit in the east, fossil fuels will be banned in 2050 in Canada, and the rest of the world will prosper.

I get it that they are supposed to run on 10% ethanol but that fuel has no shelf life and these high performance motors will not tolerate bad fuel. In addition premium has way less turn over at the pumps so if you buy from a small station, who knows how old the fuel will already be when you buy it?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get it that they are supposed to run on 10% ethanol but that fuel has no shelf life and these high performance motors will not tolerate bad fuel. In addition premium has way less turn over at the pumps so if you buy from a small station, who knows how old the fuel will already be when you buy it?

I think people will adjust. Right now a person never knows if there is ethanol in a fuel or not. My practice for my sled, is I siphon the gas out when I get home from a trip and throw it in the wife’s SUV. With my work shift I never know when my next trip will be.
The next sled trip I know I have fresh fuel.
From what I was told from a engineer for a performance shop, the majority of the gasoline in the states have ethanol in it year round.

My brother mixes Ethanol in his snow bike, and he has not had issues, unfortunately it’s a 4s compared to a 2S.

Heavybrewster

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1667341894476.jpg

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup… this. I use professional grade. It’s pretty impressive actually.

So they think it makes fuel clean but your vehicle consumes more of it… yup makes sense to me. Just about the same as taxing your way to the top while standing in a bucket.

I’ll check chevron again in the morning, they noted there 94 was ethanol free

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So let's get this straight:
1. Ethanol is produced from grain (food), usually corn but also wheat and barley.
2. The Canadian Gov't will force Canadian farmers to use 30% less nitrogen fertilizer, which will in turn reduce crop yields (maybe by 30%?).
3. The world is facing a food crisis, where millions in the next year will suffer from malnourishment due to lack of food, at least in part because less grain is being produced in Ukraine and what is produced is difficult to export. And even where food is available many won't be able to afford it.
4. The "Clean Fuel Standard" is now mandating 10% ethanol in all gasoline, which will increase the amount of food used for fuel, decrease the amount of food available to eat, and increase the costs of basic staples like wheat and corn.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Ethanol is produced from grain (food), usually corn but also wheat and barley.
2. The Canadian Gov't will force Canadian farmers to use 30% less nitrogen fertilizer, which will in turn reduce crop yields (maybe by 30%?).
3. The world is facing a food crisis, where millions in the next year will suffer from malnourishment due to lack of food, at least in part because less grain is being produced in Ukraine and what is produced is difficult to export. And even where food is available many won't be able to afford it.
4. The "Clean Fuel Standard" is now mandating 10% ethanol in all gasoline, which will increase the amount of food used for fuel, decrease the amount of food available to eat, and increase the costs of basic staples like wheat and corn.
yup
cant make this shyte up eh
a deleted diesel truck gains 2-5 mpg yet they want def mixed in from factory so added cost to everything with less fuel economy

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you figured it out. Congratulations.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys should read about ethanol as a fuel. It’s actually an excellent fuel source, especially for turbo charged engines.

Ethanol has a higher knock resistance vs gasoline and additional cooling properties. E85 is better than ms109 race fuel, especially so, in high compression and turbo/FI engines.

The only downside to ethanol is the stoichiometric value is considerably less than gasoline, so you end up burning more of it per part of air. If your engine isn’t tuned for higher levels of ethanol, you can run lean. Many newer cars use closed loop fueling system that can modify fueling based on o2 reading and lamda values. I don’t think sled ECUs used closed loop, hence the warning not to use anything with higher ethanol content than E10.

E85 and E40 is commonly used in the racing community as fuel for super charged and turbo engines. We have even tested E10 petro 94 vs Esso 91 non ethanol in a 550ci moderate compression NA engine, the e10 petro 94 made more power on the engine dyno every time.

I leave e10 fuel in my car all winter when it’s parked, never had an issue with sitting. Fuel stabilizer should always be used for long term storage.

Be careful with boostane in sleds, 2 strokes can foul plugs and boostane is known to coat plugs and and o2 sensors with an orange residue. Using boostane will increase octane rating, it won’t do anything to the ethanol in terms of “helping”.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just get some boost and run av gas, problem solved, it’s cheaper than premium as well, win win

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys should read about ethanol as a fuel. It’s actually an excellent fuel source, especially for turbo charged engines.

Ethanol has a higher knock resistance vs gasoline and additional cooling properties. E85 is better than ms109 race fuel, especially so, in high compression and turbo/FI engines.

The only downside to ethanol is the stoichiometric value is considerably less than gasoline, so you end up burning more of it per part of air. If your engine isn’t tuned for higher levels of ethanol, you can run lean. Many newer cars use closed loop fueling system that can modify fueling based on o2 reading and lamda values. I don’t think sled ECUs used closed loop, hence the warning not to use anything with higher ethanol content than E10.

E85 and E40 is commonly used in the racing community as fuel for super charged and turbo engines. We have even tested E10 petro 94 vs Esso 91 non ethanol in a 550ci moderate compression NA engine, the e10 petro 94 made more power on the engine dyno every time.

I leave e10 fuel in my car all winter when it’s parked, never had an issue with sitting. Fuel stabilizer should always be used for long term storage.

Be careful with boostane in sleds, 2 strokes can foul plugs and boostane is known to coat plugs and and o2 sensors with an orange residue. Using boostane will increase octane rating, it won’t do anything to the ethanol in terms of “helping”.

Yup im not scared of e10. And they closed down the Alaskan crab season, so corn is the least of my worries 🦀 🌽

Top Bottom