No covers ????

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I think of an investment, I think of financial gains (who doesn't?). You're extremely less likely to make money off new toys and vehicles. Even if your sled looks brand new, you are losing money on it through depreciation. Yes you may lose less than the guy that also bought an equal value sled, but you have still lost money.

Just because you now have 12k cash in your hand, doesn't mean you made 12k. You lost 3k from your purchase price.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't inherently think an investment will make me money. When I took my AST course I was taking an investment in my safety. If I look at it strictly from a "loss" perspective, it cost me time and money. I don't look at it like that though.

Hard to describe what I'm thinking, but yes ur 100% correct a sled is a money loser through depreciation, its very rarely ever going to make you money unless u keep it mint for 40 yrs. The "return" that I was referring to was how much fun one guy values it vs another. Some guys could care less if their sled is worth nothing after a kick ass season and 6,000 kms, (so why tarp it), others might think their sled is still worth $10K after that (so I should tarp it). Guy 1 puts more value in the time and experience "investment" column, and Guy 2 in the physical asset (the sled itself). Nothing wrong with either, just different views.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come they don't tarp the new Kia's when there on the truck?? That just seems crazy to me.......and why doesn't everyone have heated shops to put there jacked up $80,000 oil field money truck!! It's an investment and I see them just driving up and down these roads covered in salt. And then there just parked out side!! Like the nerve of people must be because they just buy new ones every year. Pfffff I would never do that!!

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come they don't tarp the new Kia's when there on the truck?? That just seems crazy to me.......and why doesn't everyone have heated shops to put there jacked up $80,000 oil field money truck!! It's an investment and I see them just driving up and down these roads covered in salt. And then there just parked out side!! Like the nerve of people must be because they just buy new ones every year. Pfffff I would never do that!!

My jacked up Dodge 3500 fits in my attached garage....just sayin

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sweet Jesus!! Now I have to build a heated shop!! Where I am going to get all this money.....oh nevermind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not with oil at $46 and NG at $2.90. Those guys aren't working.........they probably can't afford a tarp right now.
I work in the patch and busy as ever, won't notice it too much till April.

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to apologize for calling you a dum dum, I've been enjoying my trip in the mountains, few too many sodas after sledding....tends to piss a guy off when I've had my balls busted for working my ass off to have what I have. These stupid threads blow my mind. But at least I don't drive an overloaded F150 Ecoboost with a sled deck carrying two sleds with improperly aimed HID lights and no tarp, right.....there is way more important chit to discuss or maybe we've run out of useful information to bring to the table....main thing is people will do what they want, let them, life's a cruel mistress.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I have to apologize for calling you a dum dum, I've been enjoying my trip in the mountains, few too many sodas after sledding....tends to piss a guy off when I've had my balls busted for working my ass off to have what I have. These stupid threads blow my mind. But at least I don't drive an overloaded F150 Ecoboost with a sled deck carrying two sleds with improperly aimed HID lights and no tarp, right.....there is way more important chit to discuss or maybe we've run out of useful information to bring to the table....main thing is people will do what they want, let them, life's a cruel mistress.

I was just about to explain to you what a joke is, and then I saw this reply. So..... It was completely meant as a joke, and I hope that is the way it was taken. Enjoy your season. :)

Last edited:

Kelso

Reaction score
The truck that hauls the sled is typically worth many times more than the sled, but nobody tarps their truck while on the road... and they are right in the muck! LOL

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you don't really have an option to tarp your truck and drive it too. with the sled you do.
how ever it would be cool to see a tarped truck heading down the highway with eye holes cut in it, lol

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great post. Why would we tarp our sled that the oil patch gave us? Who cares, we'll buy another one with the job that was given to us and haul it with the truck that we all pay $1200 a month for. Lol. It's not like any of us ever got a post secondary education and actually work for our money.

Haters gonna hate. ;)

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And sleds aren't going to necessarily get that dirty up on a deck unless the roads are horrible or as stated earlier, you're following someone from 10 feet away.

Pretty sure if your sled can take thousands of kilometres of snow/water/moisture coming up through the hood, it can take a few miles of road salt and grit. It's not going to hurt it, wash it once in awhile. Doubt you'll have metal or electrical failure because you didn't tarp your sled.

And your plastics won't be all scratched up from flapping tarps. Personally, I tarp mine always.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If mine isn't in the inclosed I tarp it not because I don't want it dirty but because it has no air filter I don't tarp my truck cause it has a air filter

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
After trying to extract rusted to fuc% y pipe bolts on my brother's '98 summit X which was the direct result of the sled on a trailer with no tarp back and forth for trips, I pity anyone else who come across under the hood rust on a sled when rebuilding on a top end. Just sayin…..

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a good oem tarp...they dont flap. Well maybe the doo's do. Not tarping is retarded. On a wet sloppy road, they get completely covered in road salt. Even if you dont give a flying $%@ about your sled, why would you want to climb onto a muddy seat with you clean gear? Bars/gauges/gps are all covered. Christ!

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I bought an enclosed trailer, I used to completely tape off the air box in-takes, the air box screens and all the cooling vents on the hood to keep the salty dirty water out of my sleds. I wash everything (cover too) before I head up to the trail to ride and dry out the cover in the hotel or a laundramat if I can find one.
With my enclosed trailer, I still tape off the air intakes because of the road dust or gunk that inevitability makes it inside the walls.
I tend to run my stuff for a long time and I am a maintenance/cleanliness freak. That being said, when I tell people I am selling a sled, its gone in a very short time.

Top Bottom