Nitropropane fuel additive

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone play around with a Nitropropane fuel additive? was reading some articles on it, can see around a 5-8% increase in power it seems.

thoughts?

RTTTTed

Reaction score
Propane is a gas so you can't "add" it to the fuel unless you run a pressurized bottle and then inject (?) the propane gas into the intake. Then you'd have a heavy Propane system on you sled.

Nitro? Nitromethanol will add huge amounts of hp but blow you engine.

Nitrous Oxide? I'd just use a gas (about 32 oz - with oil added to it) storage tank to inject with the Nitrous Oxide.

Since you brought it up ... I have a complete Nitrous Oxide System for a sled. Includes fuel pump with pressure regulator, various switches, 2# Nitrous Bottle, B heater, 3 fogger nozzles, wiring, pressure lines, solenoids etc. MOS says each fogger nozzle can 'spray' as much as 150hp. I bought it and then after nearly dieing several times on my Modified Thundercat I just left it in the box. Probably worth well over $1500.

PM me if interested,

Ted

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane is a gas so you can't "add" it to the fuel unless you run a pressurized bottle and then inject (?) the propane gas into the intake. Then you'd have a heavy Propane system on you sled.

Nitro? Nitromethanol will add huge amounts of hp but blow you engine.

Nitrous Oxide? I'd just use a gas (about 32 oz - with oil added to it) storage tank to inject with the Nitrous Oxide.

Since you brought it up ... I have a complete Nitrous Oxide System for a sled. Includes fuel pump with pressure regulator, various switches, 2# Nitrous Bottle, B heater, 3 fogger nozzles, wiring, pressure lines, solenoids etc. MOS says each fogger nozzle can 'spray' as much as 150hp. I bought it and then after nearly dieing several times on my Modified Thundercat I just left it in the box. Probably worth well over $1500.

PM me if interested,

Ted

read before you speak, not sure you know what your talking about.

Nitropropane - Overview - Power Adder - Tech - Hot Rod Magazine

thanks for the offer but i run a nitrous kit on my sled already.

RTTTTed

Reaction score
That was interesting ...

So for $30 a gallon plus $5-13 a gallon for race fuel you get a 5% hp increase. 7.5bhp on a 150bhp sled, maybe (since the write up is on a car V8). It'd require a tuning box and maybe injectors for a FI sled and a lot of changes to a carb for jetting.

Probably not allowed to bring that fuel into canada as well.

So my thoughts are that converting your sled to run on extremely expensive fuel for a couple hp is not a good choice.

Methanol or Ethanol would give you a lot more power, require jetting changes to the fuel air mix and be MUCH cheaper and easier to acquire as a fuel.

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nitropropane, doesn't sound like something you'd "play around with" jus saying :d

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote from the article

"Since nitropropane creates more heat, it’s probably not a good idea to use it in an engine that will be subjected to long-duration, wide-open-throttle use."

I would hesitate in a sled motor....

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote from the article

"Since nitropropane creates more heat, it’s probably not a good idea to use it in an engine that will be subjected to long-duration, wide-open-throttle use."

The idea is with that much extra hp, you wouldn't need to hold it ;)

CRAZY DAVE

Reaction score
yes u can get nitropropane in canada its a blast to use..hard to shut down the vehicle or sled used in my derby cars and sleds....just be careful..wicked horse power gains..pm me if u want more info ...thanks dave..

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes u can get nitropropane in canada its a blast to use..hard to shut down the vehicle or sled used in my derby cars and sleds....just be careful..wicked horse power gains..pm me if u want more info ...thanks dave..

Please share with us all... What do you mean by hard to shut down? How much do you use? How well does your engine survive?

CRAZY DAVE

Reaction score
hard to shut down=will not shut off even without ignition.back when i was horsing around with it.137 hp on old 617 mach 1 no mods.

CRAZY DAVE

Reaction score
5 percent mix was somewhat safe in five gallons....any more and it got really funky..like new pistons etc..seem like it made everything dry up.very hard on rubber lines..but it defineitly works..ethenol not even in the same game..should be able to bring up dyno sheet from the 94 95 season..but start in small doses..and go really fat on the jets. And have fun..do not get on skin..major cancer causing..

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote from the article

dunno if i would agree with this. Look at it from the point of view of the article. They are in cali, its always above 30C, they have a hopped up 383 small block under the hood. there is mega hot air this engine is taking in. Sleds, we see lots of cold induced air, some other articles also indicate it would really only benefit at WOT.

The more i read on nitro it seems to work like gas and diesel. It hits a certain flash point/heat range and starts to auto ignite, this is probably why you get the run on.

Top Bottom