New to the mountains!!

Summit doo

Reaction score
Hello everyone just want some help. Me and my dad are going to try the mountains for the first time. Where should we go? Should we get a guide? I have a summit 154 and he has a xf 7000 141 1.6 track. Just want some opinion. Thanks. :cool::confused:
Valemount is closest for us!!

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
Props to you for asking these questions prior to heading out into the big hills, your steps a head of a lot of new riders that take off to the mountains. Tons of vital info to know prior to riding in the mountains, and you came to the right place to get your answers.

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
Avey gear - transceiver, probe and shovel?
Avey Training?
Yes go with someone that is experienced in mountain riding and is also familiar with the area.
spot or satelite phone?
Theres to much to list i gotta go to bed, but thats a start

Happy diggin!!!!!!!

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 on mcbride. Bell mountian is a great spot to learn. Its also pretty safe in there as for avy terrain. Revy will have epic snow right now and that 141 might have a hard time getting around but being first timers, you won't have to go far to have a great time. get a quick lesson on how to use a beacon and i would suggest getting a guide before venturing out.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Valemount is closest then go there as it is central. You can ride McBride, Valemount and Blue River from Valemount although you might not want to head to Blue River for your first mountain ride. As was mentioned earlier make sure you both purchase a shovel and probe and each rent a beacon if you do not want to buy beacons yet. Learn to use all three as there is a proper way to use a probe, a proper way to shovel and a proper way to use a beacon and every brand of beacon operates diffferently. Lucille and Renshaw at McBride have cabins (not sure if Bell does as have not been there) and there is relatively easy and relatively safe terrain near the cabins. Allen Creek and Clemina Creek at Valemount have cabins as well and likewise there is relatively easy and relatively safe terrain near the cabins. Ride at least one day with an experienced mountain rider whom is familiar with the area or if that is not possible hire a guide for one day. Tony Parisi at Snowfarmers comes to mind in Valemount and he certainly knows the area. Snowfarmers has a website. If it is not possible to ride with a guide or a mountain rider familiar with the area rent a SPOT or Satellite Phone from Shawn Fowler in Valemount at 250-566-8483. That way if you do take a wrong turn or drop down into terrain that you cannot get out of you can let someone know so you can be rescued. A hand held GPS to relay your coordinates will also be useful as not all Sat Phones can relay coordinates.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely get a good guide as recommended. They will train you and ensure you get home safe at night.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very good info here give tony a call a guide is well worth it for your first time. Make sure your dads sled is clutched for the mountains

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Valemount is closest then go there as it is central. You can ride McBride, Valemount and Blue River from Valemount although you might not want to head to Blue River for your first mountain ride. As was mentioned earlier make sure you both purchase a shovel and probe and each rent a beacon if you do not want to buy beacons yet. Learn to use all three as there is a proper way to use a probe, a proper way to shovel and a proper way to use a beacon and every brand of beacon operates diffferently. Lucille and Renshaw at McBride have cabins (not sure if Bell does as have not been there) and there is relatively easy and relatively safe terrain near the cabins. Allen Creek and Clemina Creek at Valemount have cabins as well and likewise there is relatively easy and relatively safe terrain near the cabins. Ride at least one day with an experienced mountain rider whom is familiar with the area or if that is not possible hire a guide for one day. Tony Parisi at Snowfarmers comes to mind in Valemount and he certainly knows the area. Snowfarmers has a website. If it is not possible to ride with a guide or a mountain rider familiar with the area rent a SPOT or Satellite Phone from Shawn Fowler in Valemount at 250-566-8483. That way if you do take a wrong turn or drop down into terrain that you cannot get out of you can let someone know so you can be rescued. A hand held GPS to relay your coordinates will also be useful as not all Sat Phones can relay coordinates.

Bell has a nice new one at the bottom of little bell. Still my favourite hill, I run a 141 track, plenty of fun on bell.

Summit doo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you help. I think we will rent some avalanche gear for our first time. Should we take an avalanche course?

Summit doo

Reaction score
Not to sure yet trying to get a couple buddy's who have been there a few times. Just trying to time it with there work and ours haha. Probably the first part of March.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive found avy courses are hard to get to unless you have a job that you can pickup and go. if you cant make it to one, definitely go with someone that knows the area. don't get in over your head. im still pretty new to the mountain scene, so im still pretty cautiouse. if you have the luxury of a guide get one. go online and read lots about avy gear and at least the basics how to use it, if nothing else you will have some kind of idea how to use it if you come across someone else that needs help.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when Sherwood Park had a snowmobile club. (was in my teens).
We would go on club trips. And would always spend a few hours, playing find the beacon.

Someone would go burry a beacon. Then everyone else would have to find it. Was really good pratice.
Sometimes the burrier would burry 2 beacons to check of we remembered to set the first one found from transmit to receive and check for others.
Even at home I'd recommend doing that.

I tried that for my wife before taking her. She didn't do too well and got mad at me. She doesn't seem to grasp that that could be someones life. So when I take her. She only rides to the cabin. Spends her day there.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe sit down and watch the Throttle Decisions series together too. I found the ones i have seen to be very informative. Cheers

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend riding with experienced riders your first time out. Like mentioned earlier belle in mcbride is a great place to start but most places will have some simple terrain as we'll.
Even if you don't go before your first time out, I would recommend taking an Avy course at some point aswell. I took it last year and learned a lot. You don't realize how much you don't know until you take the course.

• Recommends

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good advise so far. I would recommend Bell or Renshaw for the Mcbride area, and Clemina for Valemount. All have beginner terrain, just be careful. Enough about avy gear, just get some ( make sure it is a 3 antenna transmitter). Bring $25 cash for each rider for a trail pass, lunch and drinks. Check your truck and trailer before you leave, they can be sticky. Bring locks for overnight.
Oh Yeah, have fun.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Short notice, we're there this weekend, if you wanted to go, I've got 16 years experience on Bell, 10 on Renshaw (just the lighter terrain on Renshaw)

Summit doo

Reaction score
If I could go this weekend I would definitely take you up on it but busy with some family things this weekend. Thanks a lot for the offer maybe next time we could time it.

Top Bottom