Lug size question from a newb

Fiftyisnifty

Reaction score
Soooo… We plan on mostly trail, some powder and not much mountains. I’m leaning towards a sled with a 154” track and 2.5” lugs.

My ski doo tech buddy says I’m going to rip the lugs off!

I’m told you can do a couple things to avoid this:
-Add scratchers ( the previous owner did and never overheated)

Cut the lugs down to 2”

-Avoid high speeds

Any advice is appreciated.

Sled is a 2013 summit 800 etec with under 2000km

Thanks!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be fine with a 2.5” track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question is, why are you buying a Summit for trail riding?
Gearing, suspension, ski stance and ergonomics are not trail oriented. You would be much better off with a crossover such as the Backcountry model or even a full on trail sled.
When you say "we", are you intending on two up riding?
As someone who owns a sled like the one you're looking at, your friends concerns are not unfounded. While you may be able able to get by with it, I'd be going a different direction.

Fiftyisnifty

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We as in my wife and I. The owner of the summit now has used it for 2000 km on trails and some powder with no issues. Even towed around a light sled and it has a 2 up seat.

So hard to find a decent crossover or backcountry. I guess I need to be a little more patient and wait as they are appearing more and more with the season ending soon.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; 2.5" XM's are relatively trail friendly as far as mtn sleds go, it's just not the ideal tool for the job. Kinda like buying a lifted truck with mud tires to get the groceries. You would want the stock full length snow flap at a minimum. Scratchers, heavier rear springs and some sort of windshield would be a good idea too. Perhaps even a gear up. Personally I'd be looking for something with a 146 and 2" max track/lug size.
If you were looking for an entry level 1 up mtn sled on a $5k budget, I'd say you're on the right track, otherwise I think you'd be better off in the end to keep looking.
Tons of used sleds changed hands last couple seasons, likely due to people staying home. Used sled prices are dropping and now that people are back to vacationing in Mexico, I suspect might they looking to get rid of toys they aren't using.

Last edited:

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo… We plan on mostly trail, some powder and not much mountains. I’m leaning towards a sled with a 154” track and 2.5” lugs.

My ski doo tech buddy says I’m going to rip the lugs off!

I’m told you can do a couple things to avoid this:
-Add scratchers ( the previous owner did and never overheated)

Cut the lugs down to 2”

-Avoid high speeds

Any advice is appreciated.

Sled is a 2013 summit 800 etec with under 2000km

Thanks!
As someone who owned a 13 and 16 summit and put thousands of trial miles on them I would stay away for trail riding. I did 50% off trail and 50 % trail. The track
Will eventually rip the paddles where the flex edge rods end. They don’t like high speed even with scratchers. I tolerated the poor trail manners because it was fun off trail.

Currently ride a switchback assault with 144x1.6 track and have never found a better 50/50 sled. The comments above saying look for a backcountry are correct.

Stick with 2” track max and I would say 1.6 hooks up better on hard pack and is still pretty decent off trail.

If you’re a trail rider and not concerned about weight buy a good used viper and xtx.

If you are going to do 80% or more on trail I’d consider a 137” skid like a renegade. Coupled skids tend to have a better trail ride but don’t have as good of floatation in deep snow.

Fiftyisnifty

Reaction score
As someone who owned a 13 and 16 summit and put thousands of trial miles on them I would stay away for trail riding. I did 50% off trail and 50 % trail. The track
Will eventually rip the paddles where the flex edge rods end. They don’t like high speed even with scratchers. I tolerated the poor trail manners because it was fun off trail.

Currently ride a switchback assault with 144x1.6 track and have never found a better 50/50 sled. The comments above saying look for a backcountry are correct.

Stick with 2” track max and I would say 1.6 hooks up better on hard pack and is still pretty decent off trail.

If you’re a trail rider and not concerned about weight buy a good used viper and xtx.

If you are going to do 80% or more on trail I’d consider a 137” skid like a renegade. Coupled skids tend to have a better trail ride but don’t have as good of floatation in deep snow.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
youll be fine with the 2.5 on a summit. Ihave trail rode them for years and haven't ever had a problem with blowing lugs off or hurting the sleds, my dad has a 154xm with a 2.5 and has 6000KM on it. The sled/track looks mint, use scratchers and you'll be fine for the 2 up look into the heavier rear springs if the sled doesn't already have them

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can rip the lugs off if you ride like a foo, or if you ride in really cold weather the ice build up chips the lugs,but that’s life. The best scratchers in the universe are kimpex cable scratchers point them straight down to the earth for best scratch, wire them up when not needed to save them, my sliders have over 4000km on them and scratchers 3000km,when scratchers get bent back try reversing them or replace,your passenger should be buying you sliders and hotdogs.

Top Bottom